Amazon.ca

Logitech C270 HD Webcam 720p $35

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 23rd, 2021 12:46 pm
25 replies
Feb 22, 2010
488 posts
484 upvotes
Boxing day price, if I remember correctly. Still, 5$ off is good.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2004
1203 posts
113 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Why a $35 720p camera vs. a $30-35 1080p one from a random manufacturer with +1,000 4 star reviews?
Does the Logitech one have something that sets it apart from a hardware side?
Up and Atom!!!
If my thread or post was helpful, a "thank you" is always nice.
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2008
3152 posts
2082 upvotes
Montreal
flyingmetalspatula wrote: Why a $35 720p camera vs. a $30-35 1080p one from a random manufacturer with +1,000 4 star reviews?
Does the Logitech one have something that sets it apart from a hardware side?
The $30-35 will have a lot of pixels, but half the pixels will be of the wrong color lol.

I've tested 3 under $50 amazon 4.5 star 1080p webcams and my 10 year old phone had a better camera. It looked SO bad. But its 1080p! Resolution and image quality is so different!

Lots of fake paid reviews out there
Aug 28, 2017
98 posts
292 upvotes
I have one. It's better than most laptop's webcam which isn't saying much. It's wired into my usb hub between my work laptop and home computer. It also lets me clamshell my laptop.

My only complaint is, hooked onto the monitor, the footage is a little close to my face than I would want. A nice perk is I use it as a mic when I don't feel like using my headset.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
1623 posts
421 upvotes
Edmonton
Thanks for posting OP - picked up 3 for everyone in the team as alternate to our laptop daily video calls.
It might be a dumb q, but I do not want to use the mic from this webcam, instead continue to use my Jabra 510 for Teams/Skype calls, that shouldn't be an issue correct?
TIA and stay safe!
Aug 5, 2013
35 posts
32 upvotes
uglyguy wrote: Thanks for posting OP - picked up 3 for everyone in the team as alternate to our laptop daily video calls.
It might be a dumb q, but I do not want to use the mic from this webcam, instead continue to use my Jabra 510 for Teams/Skype calls, that shouldn't be an issue correct?
TIA and stay safe!
No you should be alright - just remember to change the 'input' device settings to your other mic and not the one for the cam.
Aug 30, 2007
482 posts
894 upvotes
Calgary
uglyguy wrote: Thanks for posting OP - picked up 3 for everyone in the team as alternate to our laptop daily video calls.
TIA and stay safe!
I bought this webcam in December, fits the need very well. Been using it on Teams/Zoom ever since without any issues.

Agreed that the zoom level is a bit closer than many laptop built-in cams, but I'm good with it.

I also use an external headset with this webcam, no issues in bypassing the webcam mic.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2009
1385 posts
491 upvotes
London Area
RockyMtns27 wrote: Agreed that the zoom level is a bit closer than many laptop built-in cams, but I'm good with it.
I was in the same boat with the zoom being a bit close. In Zoom settings, make sure to check HD in video. It will then zoom out and take 16:9 video.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2009
1385 posts
491 upvotes
London Area
Thanks OP!

FYI: there is a limit of 3.
Feb 11, 2016
438 posts
310 upvotes
I have this for the past 7 years. The video quality is OK. Nothing great. On the other hand, the mic is actually very good. Picks up voice very clearly.

I paid the same price 7 years ago. So not sure whether it is a good buy in 2021. The Logitech's latest models support H.264 encoding directly and is a better buy if you really need one.
If there is an option to use your smartphone's front cam, I would just use the smartphone.

PS. This has no auto focus capability. So if you are a teacher or want to show some document, you won't be able to do it.
Last edited by frugalfruit on Jan 22nd, 2021 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 30, 2007
482 posts
894 upvotes
Calgary
Jonstar1 wrote: I was in the same boat with the zoom being a bit close. In Zoom settings, make sure to check HD in video. It will then zoom out and take 16:9 video.
Good tip, thanks Jonstar1!

In Teams, there's no option to adjust the zoom level (Although it's been brought to MS' attention via the dev forums). To complete a similar change in Teams, one option is to go into Skype for business , adjust the zoom level in the camera control settings, which will also then be reflected in Teams on that device.
Deal Guru
Jun 18, 2012
10059 posts
4764 upvotes
Toronto
webcam shortage is over guys... this is not a hot deal
Aug 8, 2015
63 posts
84 upvotes
ManCaveGamer wrote: webcam shortage is over guys... this is not a hot deal
Surprisingly its not over, and this is still a price that is difficult to get along with fast/free shipping (prime). I'm actually shocked by how few cheap and dependable webcams there are on the market, I guess its not that lucrative of a business to get into
Jul 18, 2019
831 posts
2064 upvotes
North York ON
Image quality is passable for people who must have one for calls or classes. Otherwise, I would recommend something higher grade.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1098 posts
636 upvotes
SASKATOON
Check to see if you have a dslr that can be used as a webcam. I have an old canon t3 and I just needed to order a dummy battery to keep it powered. 100x better than a webcam.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
22907 posts
28542 upvotes
Toronto
ripjohnnyc wrote: Check to see if you have a dslr that can be used as a webcam. I have an old canon t3 and I just needed to order a dummy battery to keep it powered. 100x better than a webcam.
another option is to use a spare cellphone. lots of software for Android/Iphone
Ye wife is in me dms baby.
Dec 15, 2015
391 posts
346 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
Wow, they still sell this model. I remember it was cleared out by Staples 8yrs ago and I bought it for 9.99. Still usin' it today.
Images
  • Screenshot_20210122-225431_ReadyCLOUD.jpg
"With great discounts comes great battle for self restraint"
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2016
1198 posts
2288 upvotes
Had this for a decade, most surprising part is how good the microphone is