Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] Logitech Harmony Smart Control, $69.98 same day shipping (FBA Seller)

Dec 27, 2007
18438 posts
9626 upvotes
Kitchener
seifer333 wrote:
Jun 21st, 2019 10:19 am
what's the difference between old vs new?
The remote on the newer version has some HA dedicated buttons (for lights and switches).
I think the whole remote is redundant, it's not an IR remote and only works around the hub.
The hub shines when paired with Alexa/GH or being used with the software remotes on mobile devices, save the $10 and go with the "old" version (assuming BB is offering the newer one).
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
1186 posts
131 upvotes
Brampton
aasoror wrote:
Jun 21st, 2019 10:35 am
The remote on the newer version has some HA dedicated buttons (for lights and switches).
I think the whole remote is redundant, it's not an IR remote and only works around the hub.
The hub shines when paired with Alexa/GH or being used with the software remotes on mobile devices, save the $10 and go with the "old" version (assuming BB is offering the newer one).
+1 What we really need is a deal on a cheap hub (around $40). The remote is not really needed for a lot of people. I have yet to actually use mine.
Jul 4, 2007
332 posts
157 upvotes
Saskatoon
venice_it wrote:
Jun 21st, 2019 10:33 am
I bought this remote a couple of weeks ago. It includes the hub and the remote is the one shown in the main picture. I am not sure if it is the old or newer model. I do have the impression by how the item was packed and that the serial number was blacked out with a sharpie that these are manufacturer refurbs.

Everything was fine and appeared unused with the plastic film on everything but the packaging had the appearance of being re-packed. I was a little disappointed that this did not seem to be mentioned or perhaps I missed it.

The hub works fairly well with Google Home but I am a little frustrated that everything has to use 'Activities' and it has been challenging for me to get some items to operate independently of these 'activities'.
Yeah, the activity thing takes a while to get used to. What I do now if I need to do something a a device itself is use the app. From there, you can easily control each device independently. The other thing that I love about the app is that is has all of the infrequently used buttons available. For instance, I don't use the subwoofer-down button often enough to remember where I mapped it on the remote, but I can fire up the app and easily get to it.
Dec 27, 2007
18438 posts
9626 upvotes
Kitchener
venice_it wrote:
Jun 21st, 2019 10:43 am
+1 What we really need is a deal on a cheap hub (around $40). The remote is not really needed for a lot of people. I have yet to actually use mine.
Couldn't agree more, if it's a little cheaper I would get one hub for each room.
I also shelved the remote the second I discovered it's not standalone IR.
[OP]
Apr 13, 2016
192 posts
85 upvotes
aasoror wrote:
Jun 21st, 2019 10:53 am
Couldn't agree more, if it's a little cheaper I would get one hub for each room.
yeah agreed, I actually plan on using the HUB and nothing else

but I've never seen this cheaper since 2011-2013 when I bought my harmony 700
Oct 24, 2017
44 posts
16 upvotes
I have a Harman/Kardon AVR 645, older receiver, no WiFi, Bluetooth or anything like that.

I don't have the remote for it.

I wonder how is this remote going to work with that receiver, if you have any experience with that.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2012
1325 posts
379 upvotes
Calgary
lionbest wrote:
Jun 21st, 2019 12:39 pm
I have a Harman/Kardon AVR 645, older receiver, no WiFi, Bluetooth or anything like that.

I don't have the remote for it.

I wonder how is this remote going to work with that receiver, if you have any experience with that.
The remote will communicate with the hub over whatever protocol it uses. The hub will repeat remote commands via IR in your instance.
Logitech has a tool to determine compatibility.
https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/compatibility
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2005
4951 posts
793 upvotes
Montreal
I would think the Harman/Kardon AVR 645 should work just fine. It's in the Harmony database.
Phils
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2007
2160 posts
303 upvotes
venice_it wrote:
Jun 21st, 2019 10:33 am
I bought this remote a couple of weeks ago. It includes the hub and the remote is the one shown in the main picture. I am not sure if it is the old or newer model. I do have the impression by how the item was packed and that the serial number was blacked out with a sharpie that these are manufacturer refurbs.

Everything was fine and appeared unused with the plastic film on everything but the packaging had the appearance of being re-packed. I was a little disappointed that this did not seem to be mentioned or perhaps I missed it.

The hub works fairly well with Google Home but I am a little frustrated that everything has to use 'Activities' and it has been challenging for me to get some items to operate independently of these 'activities'.
Which seller? Anyone else can comment on a good amazon seller?

Trustedtech charges both taxes, MJ trading only GST , so has anyone bought from MJ trading
Jul 31, 2008
311 posts
140 upvotes
Markham
aasoror wrote:
Jun 21st, 2019 10:53 am
There are a few reasons why the remote is awesome:
* It is not IR. No line of site needed.
* Great battery life. Like, a year with decent use.
* You still get full IR capability from the hub, with support for two IR blasters.
* Small form factor. Fits in the hand, goes anywhere, nice and slim.

I have both this and the one with SmartHome control, and def prefer the SmartHome one (better texture, and easy to program).
I prefer buttons over the latency of voice commands as well (and voice does not work when I play things LOUD).

Great deal either way.
Dec 27, 2007
18438 posts
9626 upvotes
Kitchener
mdl.tor wrote:
Jun 21st, 2019 1:26 pm
There are a few reasons why the remote is awesome:
* It is not IR. No line of site needed.
* Great battery life. Like, a year with decent use.
* You still get full IR capability from the hub, with support for two IR blasters.
* Small form factor. Fits in the hand, goes anywhere, nice and slim.

I have both this and the one with SmartHome control, and def prefer the SmartHome one (better texture, and easy to program).
I prefer buttons over the latency of voice commands as well (and voice does not work when I play things LOUD).

Great deal either way.
To each his/her own, I am not sure I would ever touch the remote when I can simply just say "alexa, turn on my TV", furthermore, missing IR makes the remote useless without a hub, missing wifi on the remote makes it useless without being in the same room as the hub. It is even less convenient for me when it comes to HA functions, why do I need to go to the living room where the hub is placed to click the remote to turn on the driveway lights when I can use the app from any room (or any Alexa/GH device) to control the hub?
Jul 11, 2017
107 posts
103 upvotes
Can I use this remote and hub to turn on and off my Napoleon gas fireplace? Or any other solution.
Thanks