Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] Logitech Harmony Smart Control, $69.98 same day shipping (FBA Seller)

Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2003
1713 posts
219 upvotes
Toronto
mtlboy wrote:
Jun 21st, 2019 1:12 pm
Which seller? Anyone else can comment on a good amazon seller?

Trustedtech charges both taxes, MJ trading only GST , so has anyone bought from MJ trading
I just purchased from MJ Trading. It actually charges 13% as GST!!!!. So the final total for GTA comes to $79.09 which is same when HST included.
[OP]
Apr 13, 2016
192 posts
85 upvotes
samson wrote:
Jun 21st, 2019 4:50 pm
I just purchased from MJ Trading. It actually charges 13% as GST!!!!. So the final total for GTA comes to $79.09 which is same when HST included.
I kinda cheated - used the gift card offers on RFD to get a further discount and then double dipped with GCR rebates lol

so it actually ended up being way cheaper than Best Buy too

I'll post pics for anyone concerned about getting a refurb model
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2007
2162 posts
303 upvotes
samson wrote:
Jun 21st, 2019 4:50 pm
I just purchased earlier from MJ Trading but in QC they only charged 5% came to $73.48
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2003
1713 posts
219 upvotes
Toronto
mtlboy wrote:
Jun 21st, 2019 5:34 pm
I just purchased earlier from MJ Trading but in QC they only charged 5% came to $73.48
Lucky.... Hoping it's new and undamaged now.
[OP]
Apr 13, 2016
192 posts
85 upvotes
hey guys,

got the package last night, the remote is brand new, I cut the two seals off myself. The packaging inside was untouched as well, you can just tell by how it was taped up. The package also had the Alexa/google home sticker on it I've attached some pictures here. The SN number wasn't blacked out anywhere (it seems like the old reviewer just had a bad luck of the draw), the original barcode just had an amazon specific barcode; I've seen FBA amazon warehouse products with them all the time. I'm sure these are good for warranty as well, I just haven't bothered to call Logitech about it. see pictures

updated the OP with this info as well
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
2260 posts
642 upvotes
Thornhill
aasoror wrote:
Jun 21st, 2019 3:33 pm
To each his/her own, I am not sure I would ever touch the remote when I can simply just say "alexa, turn on my TV", furthermore, missing IR makes the remote useless without a hub, missing wifi on the remote makes it useless without being in the same room as the hub.
Surely, you need to do more than just turning on and off the TV?
Obviously, Alexa is perfect for executing "Scenes".
But I do need the remote to control the volume (TV or home theatre) and use the arrows and OK button for UI selections. And not using IR means I can just touch the buttons on the remote anywhere, instead of grabbing it, raising it, aim and then press.
Jan 21, 2018
657 posts
567 upvotes
Vancouver
A price of $69 for a smart WiFi to IR converter with an additional wired IR extender that you could conceivably wire to a 2nd room is not a bad deal, even if it weren't also a Harmony programmable remote with access to Harmony's vast database of IR controls. Hard to argue with the value!

But if you already have a Harmony remote, the case is a little harder to make. I suppose I could think of a few IR devices that I wouldn't mind having voice control for (e.g., a fan), but I'd have to go to the trouble of wiring the IR extender to a 2nd room to get the signal where it's needed outside the TV room. And it's true that the Activities model that Harmony uses is better suited to TV/media activities than controlling individual non-media devices.

As for controlling TV and AV equipment, I don't really get the advantage of voice control for that application even though I use voice control a lot for other things. Why would I say something like "Alexa, channel up on TV" instead of just pressing a button, especially if I was doing it several times in a row? Even selecting a specific channel by voice is problematic, especially if I have to shout to be heard over the TV sound and it might mis-hear me and need a repeat (speaking from the personal knowledge of having to speak up and repeat to say "Alexa turn off the light" while the TV is on). My Harmony remote has plenty of buttons plus soft functions on a display that I can program for all the things I want most commonly, and it's much more reliable than my Alexa or Google voice assistants.
[OP]
Apr 13, 2016
192 posts
85 upvotes
Scote64 wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2019 10:58 am
A price of $69 for a smart WiFi to IR converter with an additional wired IR extender that you could conceivably wire to a 2nd room is not a bad deal, even if it weren't also a Harmony programmable remote with access to Harmony's vast database of IR controls. Hard to argue with the value!

But if you already have a Harmony remote, the case is a little harder to make. I suppose I could think of a few IR devices that I wouldn't mind having voice control for (e.g., a fan), but I'd have to go to the trouble of wiring the IR extender to a 2nd room to get the signal where it's needed outside the TV room. And it's true that the Activities model that Harmony uses is better suited to TV/media activities than controlling individual non-media devices.

As for controlling TV and AV equipment, I don't really get the advantage of voice control for that application even though I use voice control a lot for other things. Why would I say something like "Alexa, channel up on TV" instead of just pressing a button, especially if I was doing it several times in a row? Even selecting a specific channel by voice is problematic, especially if I have to shout to be heard over the TV sound and it might mis-hear me and need a repeat (speaking from the personal knowledge of having to speak up and repeat to say "Alexa turn off the light" while the TV is on). My Harmony remote has plenty of buttons plus soft functions on a display that I can program for all the things I want most commonly, and it's much more reliable than my Alexa or Google voice assistants.
I think the answer to the second half your question is more so that this will eliminate the chance of messing up when turning the tv on/off because the hub is always in the same position and that's more than half the battle (keeping the on/off devices in sync with the old harmony remotes).

second it makes using the tv much easier for less tech savvy people, some of the longer macros require pointing the old harmony in the same place for a long time. I've noticed that especially people using the system infrequently won't keep the remote in the right direction for the appropriate time. this has a big impact on their confidence in using the system.

third the ease of use, once the hub and blasters are in the right position you never have to worry about using one specific remote. you can use any multitude of phones, ipads lying around. this eliminates that find period for anyone.

its kind of a set it and forget it system in my mind, and I can tell that it will increase usage for people that don't use complicated systems/macros because they can be daunting. (home theatres etc.)
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2003
1713 posts
219 upvotes
Toronto
redflag0 wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2019 10:10 am
hey guys,

got the package last night, the remote is brand new, I cut the two seals off myself. The packaging inside was untouched as well, you can just tell by how it was taped up. The package also had the Alexa/google home sticker on it I've attached some pictures here. The SN number wasn't blacked out anywhere (it seems like the old reviewer just had a bad luck of the draw), the original barcode just had an amazon specific barcode; I've seen FBA amazon warehouse products with them all the time. I'm sure these are good for warranty as well, I just haven't bothered to call Logitech about it. see pictures

I just got mine from MJ trading as well. The barcode has a sticker on it as well. I didn't know it's an Amazon sticker. The box has scratches and couple punch holes... Seals are on as well
May 19, 2017
9 posts
4 upvotes
I got my order from Trusted Tech, they had black seal labels over a damaged box and sticker over serial no. It is definately used but marketed as new.
[OP]
Apr 13, 2016
192 posts
85 upvotes
shroffd899279656 wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2019 1:25 pm
I got my order from Trusted Tech, they had black seal labels over a damaged box and sticker over serial no. It is definately used but marketed as new.
sounds like MJ Trading is the way to go, at least you can still return and replace it!
May 1, 2006
1 posts
I just got mine in yesterday. Set it up and was working great with my Nvidia Android tv setup with Bose amp and Samsung tv and Hue lights... it's pretty freaking awesome really.

Came with base and was in sealed original box with everything sealed as new. Pics of box added.
Images
  • 1.jpg
  • 2.jpg
Jan 6, 2009
88 posts
15 upvotes
mtlboy wrote:
Jun 21st, 2019 1:12 pm
Which seller? Anyone else can comment on a good amazon seller?

Trustedtech charges both taxes, MJ trading only GST , so has anyone bought from MJ trading
Trustedtech also selling refurb as brand new, also the PST collected probably go into their own pocket.

shroffd899279656 wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2019 1:25 pm
redflag0 wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2019 2:18 pm
sounds like MJ Trading is the way to go, at least you can still return and replace it!
Whenever you see Logitech products selling cheaper than Amazon.ca or at at much lower price than MSRP, those are "refurb / used" condition sell as brand new.
Many marketplace "fulfillment by Amazon" sellers are doing so. Logitech products had no serial number on the package box, as long as it is in original package box, it can be sell as brand new. Very few smart shoppers would know to check the serial number label on the actual product.

redflag0 wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2019 10:10 am
hey guys,

There are a lot of Logitech refurbs available in the states, and those FBA sellers sourced from the states as well. Serial number not necessary black out, because they are intentionally to sell refurb as brand new.
Refurbs also had grade A condition too, that's how it will trick you to believe it's brand new.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
1186 posts
131 upvotes
Brampton
I would avoid trusted Tech on the principle that they are not disclosing these are refurbs/returns. Mine had the circle seals and all plastic protectors on the pieces but the serial number was blacked out, the box was beat up and the pieces were packed in a way you knew it had been opened before. The product did work fine and everything is still pretty much as new but it really should be disclosed for what it really is and I would have no problem with the seller otherwise.
Jul 16, 2017
118 posts
94 upvotes
Scote64 wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2019 10:58 am
As for controlling TV and AV equipment, I don't really get the advantage of voice control for that application even though I use voice control a lot for other things. Why would I say something like "Alexa, channel up on TV" instead of just pressing a button, especially if I was doing it several times in a row? Even selecting a specific channel by voice is problematic, especially if I have to shout to be heard over the TV sound and it might mis-hear me and need a repeat (speaking from the personal knowledge of having to speak up and repeat to say "Alexa turn off the light" while the TV is on).
Use Case Example:

My kids just say "OK Google, Play Paw Patrol". The TV turns on and Netflix plays the next episode of Paw Patrol. [Not related to this specific remote]