872 upvotes
Kingston, ON

[Amazon.ca] Logitech K800 Wireless Illuminated Keyboard $79.99

47 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
1975 posts
570 upvotes
I have the old version of this keyboard, the new one I heard the user cannot change the batteries, the batteries are hidden inside the shell while my old K800 you can change the 2 AA batts. FYI..
Jun 15, 2019
210 posts
312 upvotes
astrotrain wrote: I have the old version of this keyboard, the new one I heard the user cannot change the batteries, the batteries are hidden inside the shell while my old K800 you can change the 2 AA batts. FYI..
Yup, it is indeed so.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2020
3417 posts
3014 upvotes
Toronto
astrotrain wrote: I have the old version of this keyboard, the new one I heard the user cannot change the batteries, the batteries are hidden inside the shell while my old K800 you can change the 2 AA batts. FYI..
Yes, the batteries aren't user replaceable.

from https://support.logi.com/hc/en-ca/artic ... board-K800

K800 battery life information

Battery information
  • Requires 2 AA NiMh batteries.
  • Expected battery life is 15 hours to 10 days depending on backlight settings.

Your keyboard has a standby mode to conserve power when not in use.

NOTE:
The batteries aren't user replaceable.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2020
3417 posts
3014 upvotes
Toronto
rokask wrote: Yup, it is indeed so.
The K800 quick setup guide says to remove a total of 24 screws in the battery removal information when needing to dispose of the battery

https://www.logitech.com/assets/47560/w ... -guide.pdf
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
3908 posts
872 upvotes
Kingston, ON
Yes, it's rechargeable now
Jun 15, 2019
210 posts
312 upvotes
Dhanushan wrote: The K800 quick setup guide says to remove a total of 24 screws in the battery removal information when needing to dispose of the battery

And that's not the hard part of the disassembly! The bottom black square is glued on with double-sided sticky tape and the white frame around it is attached with quite stubborn plastic clips! Keyboard keeps forgetting my lighting preference mid-use and requires an off-and-on action. Proximity sensor is fancy and cool, except when it senses the proximity of my legs while being on my lap, thus being on all the time and draining my battery and my patience. Had to disassemble it, disconnect the proximity sensor and now it runs like a dream. Battery last 3 times longer. Best keyboard I ever had.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
3908 posts
872 upvotes
Kingston, ON
Very good feedback! Guess it's not so good after all!
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2004
4925 posts
509 upvotes
Toronto
Wow.,.. first version came out 2011!
h2o- a.k.a. 阿水 (Ah Sui)

May 1, 2008
45 posts
10 upvotes
I had the old one. change battery every week. returned it after 2 weeks.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 1, 2001
5549 posts
614 upvotes
Does anyone know how wide the palm rest is? (distance from the bottom of the space bar to the bottom edge of the keyboard)
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2006
1504 posts
694 upvotes
At this price point, MX keys is worth the wait. with the sale and staples coupon it can be ~$90.
Mar 2, 2004
603 posts
108 upvotes
Mississauga
I wish logitech make a wireless one with the feel of the wired K740.
Jul 17, 2012
760 posts
334 upvotes
Kamloops
When someone get this can you let me know 2 things

1. The batteries can you remove it?
2. The Logitech logo in the front bottom is it painted or engraved then printed.

So I have a k800 from many years ago included with a sale. Very nice plastic and engraved logo and batteries two AA can be removed from back

Then got a refurb from eBay newegg and battery slot can open but inside is another solid plastic blocking battery. Also the logo is printed. Plastic not as good quality as the original one. Software control this new refurb only works with the newer software. Also mine is buggy. The lights turn on and off all the time at regular interval when computer is off. Draining battery fast. So have to turn it off daily. Could be my place is haunted too and ghost like to touch the keyboard.

Just something been bothering me to find out revisions on this thing. Lol

Unfortunately the original k800 my toddler dropped a few times on the floor with keys facing down and broken a few keys. Then I messed around with it and caused more damage then thrown out in the end.

So if at this price is the original design it's good. The refurb is only 45 I remember and not good quality.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2020
3417 posts
3014 upvotes
Toronto
muscleking wrote: 1. The batteries can you remove it?
Answered in the first few posts.
The battery is not user replaceable.

The K800 quick setup guide says to remove a total of 24 screws to remove the battery when needing to dispose of the battery

rokask wrote: And that's not the hard part of the disassembly! The bottom black square is glued on with double-sided sticky tape and the white frame around it is attached with quite stubborn plastic clips! Keyboard keeps forgetting my lighting preference mid-use and requires an off-and-on action. Proximity sensor is fancy and cool, except when it senses the proximity of my legs while being on my lap, thus being on all the time and draining my battery and my patience. Had to disassemble it, disconnect the proximity sensor and now it runs like a dream. Battery last 3 times longer. Best keyboard I ever had.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2011
1560 posts
756 upvotes
Dhanushan wrote: Answered in the first few posts.
The battery is not user replaceable.

The K800 quick setup guide says to remove a total of 24 screws to remove the battery when needing to dispose of the battery

Also worth mentioning its now a proprietary li-po, so even if you're willing to go through all the BS to swap it out(which from reading up on it, sounds like its almost impossible to reassemble it without it looking like a mess) you'll probably never find the right battery with that weird long ribbon cable on it to swap in.
Oct 10, 2019
286 posts
260 upvotes
WOWWWWWWW!!! Thank goodness for RFD. I saw $79 and I was thinking, great, I will pick up another one. Then I read...

aaarrrrgggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :-(
Aug 31, 2019
20 posts
14 upvotes
Had this a few years back, would advise against purchasing if you have kids or drink near your keyboard. This is a membrane keyboard which uses electrical signals rather than a button mechanism - a VERY small spill of liquid will ruin the keyboard permanently. Water damage causes keystrokes to permanently switch mapping (ex. pressing 's' will produce 's1') and cannot be repaired.

Check reviews on Amazon before purchasing.