Expired Hot Deals

Amazon.ca

Lord of the Rings MIDDLE EARTH ULTIMATE 31-Discs Edition (4K Extended+Theatrical +More) $284.87 vs $329.99 at BB

Feb 6, 2020
322 posts
225 upvotes
skinnydoggy wrote: some piece of garbage that has to be refreshed after 1 and a half years because support has been dropped
Out of curiosity, when has that happened with any iTunes movie?

The first Apple TV 4K came out in 2017. It still plays 4K movies.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2017
3026 posts
6105 upvotes
smuPoker wrote: If I didn't already have the 4k LOTR set from November and if I actually liked The Hobbit movies (I don't), I would buy this.
Same
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2007
2507 posts
1537 upvotes
Scarborough
ArrowFlynn wrote: Out of curiosity, when has that happened with any iTunes movie?

The first Apple TV 4K came out in 2017. It still plays 4K movies.
Happened with all my iPhones and iPads… all apple products drop support
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2015
1129 posts
761 upvotes
Nanaimo
The individual box sets are $198 right now on amazon, so you're paying an extra $90 for:

Premium Gift Box
Special Features Blu-ray Disc
64-Page Booklet
7 Travel Poster Art Cards

is that worth it?
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2007
2507 posts
1537 upvotes
Scarborough
Looks like the Amazon price went to 329.99
Jan 21, 2010
451 posts
170 upvotes
Toronto
GnailNet wrote: Owning this, I shall refer this as "My precious".. while wife looks disgruntled.
Liking the original film trilogy shall be my litmus test for any future wife.

I don’t think I’m getting married by the looks of it.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 26, 2014
5312 posts
5312 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
skinnydoggy wrote: That doesn’t count. Apple TV? I’d rather have digital copies I can play through other devices, and not be at the mercy of some piece of garbage that has to be refreshed after 1 and a half years because support has been dropped (and as a result, has gaping security holes)
You know if you don't understand how the Apple TV app works maybe you should actually just not say anything instead of making yourself look like a total clownass.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 26, 2014
5312 posts
5312 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
S0lidus wrote: The individual box sets are $198 right now on amazon, so you're paying an extra $90 for:

Premium Gift Box
Special Features Blu-ray Disc
64-Page Booklet
7 Travel Poster Art Cards

is that worth it?
No.

I don't know why everyone is going gaga over this. This box set is objectively terrible considering it doesn't even come with everything (such as the Appendices) so trying to pass it off as some "Ultimate Collection" after hyping it since last year is laughable at best. Plus the box art is just sad.

You can buy the 4k copies as separate sets (they're the ones released last year) and they're releasing the remastered 1080p blu-rays as a separate set as well.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2011
5210 posts
2587 upvotes
chemicalxv wrote: No.

I don't know why everyone is going gaga over this. This box set is objectively terrible considering it doesn't even come with everything (such as the Appendices) so trying to pass it off as some "Ultimate Collection" after hyping it since last year is laughable at best. Plus the box art is just sad.

You can buy the 4k copies as separate sets (they're the ones released last year) and they're releasing the remastered 1080p blu-rays as a separate set as well.
I got the blu ray set for LOTR years ago, what makes these remastered ones better?
Dec 5, 2007
300 posts
78 upvotes
Toronto
I think I’m going to pass… I just looked over the Amazon UK reviews and they weren’t good at all….

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09DQHMZWM/ ... RP3YRJJEGE
Worst "Ultimate" edition of anything?
Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 5 September 2021
I held off on the original 4K releases of these films for this set. Rather than include the original appendices (some of the best movie extras of all time), the only thing this set adds over the bare bones 4K releases is one bonus disc with some ho-hum features, plus, pointlessly, all of the films on Blu-ray in both theatrical and extended version, thus hugely inflating the disc count in a spectacular display of wastefulness. Why would you want these films on Blu-ray if they also come with the 4K versions? Why not give us the the films in theatrical and extended guise (I'm only interested in the latter but can at least understand why people might want the former, unlike the Blu-ray copies) and a comprehensive collection of extras, including the appendices?

I waited months for this set, keeping a tab open with a google search and occasionally refreshing it in case I missed the set. Now I have read the details I have ordered the 4K steelbooks from last year. In conjunction with the Blu-ray sets, which contain the appendices, I have everything I need, and will avoid this collection, which is about the least "ultimate" Ultimate Edition I have ever seen.
Last edited by roadtoy on Sep 15th, 2021 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2007
2507 posts
1537 upvotes
Scarborough
chemicalxv wrote: You know if you don't understand how the Apple TV app works maybe you should actually just not say anything instead of making yourself look like a total clownass.
All I know is I have two useless iPads and an iMac that’s no longer supported. Keep supporting them, I’ll keep using my shield. Clownass.
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2010
1529 posts
651 upvotes
London
I wouldn't buy this. I've seen the extended edition 4K versions of LOTR and they're ruined with DNR (as are the theatrical). Sometimes they look 4K sometimes they don't. Read some reviews to know what you're getting into.

Last edited by mumbles on Sep 16th, 2021 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 26, 2014
5312 posts
5312 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
skinnydoggy wrote: All I know is I have two useless iPads and an iMac that’s no longer supported. Keep supporting them, I’ll keep using my shield. Clownass.
I mean yeah, considering I can watch any digital movie I have though Apple on my PS5 and on a Fire TV Stick I think I will :)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 26, 2014
5312 posts
5312 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
ArrowFlynn wrote: None of them can play iTunes movies anymore? Must be older than an iPhone 6s made in 2015.

Anyway, many PCs can play iTunes movies using iTunes, if you’re interested: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/i ... 18/windows.
It's gotta be even older than that.

The Apple TV app only requires iOS/iPadOS 10.2 or later. The original iPad Air and iPad Mini 2 released in 2013 updated well beyond that point.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 26, 2014
5312 posts
5312 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
trinxified wrote: I got the blu ray set for LOTR years ago, what makes these remastered ones better?
I'm guessing it finally gets rid of the weird colour timing/green tint (which I believe is the worst in Fellowship) and probably just sharpens up the films in general using newer techniques.

Youtube video for reference with the green tint