Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] Lord Of The Rings Trilogy 4k UHD Extended & Theatrical Discs ($89.99)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 31st, 2021 8:35 pm
[OP]
Jan 12, 2017
89 posts
104 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

[Amazon.ca] Lord Of The Rings Trilogy 4k UHD Extended & Theatrical Discs ($89.99)

Currently $89.99.

I bought this in December for $114.99 but return policy doesn't extend past Jan 16 for Best Buy. Haven't seen it drop at all below the $114.99 price!
64 replies
Oct 24, 2011
997 posts
795 upvotes
SURREY
Close to pulling the trigger but there is another release coming with some unseen footage/extras so I’m holding out. Solid price though
If it’s not at least 50% off is it really a deal?
Dec 30, 2006
283 posts
203 upvotes
Oakville
yeah this is soooo tempting... but... must... hold... out... as I have read summer they are releasing some other special version of UHD LOTR! hopefully worth it and not too expensive.
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2011
4783 posts
2171 upvotes
Wait out the inevitable combo pack with hobbit trilogy.
May 13, 2012
400 posts
363 upvotes
Edmonton
KevinT277396 wrote: People still buy DVDs?
Nah, we just buy 4k UHD.
243 posts
258 upvotes
What's the deal with the digital copy? I'm noticing a lot of reviews mentioning it'll only work with U.S. iTunes, and some saying it's only SD.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8990 posts
3287 upvotes
Broskah wrote: Isn't this like a 24 hour set?
This is a 4K UHD HDR Blu-ray set that comes with both the Extended Cuts and the Theatrical versions.
The colour grading on the original regular blu-ray releases was all wrong (blue and green tinted) and this 4K set fixes that and has HDR.

Each of the Extended Cuts are on two discs for each movie. The theatrical version is one disc for each movie.
The theatrical versions are about 180-200 minutes each, and the Extended cuts are about 230 - 260 minutes each.

Personally, the only versions I have ever watched are the Extended versions.

I'd give the image and sound quality a 9.0/10 and it is definitely one of the best movies to own on the 4K UHD format.
In some of the fast moving sections where they are running through the forests in the first movie kind of look blurry but that is probably
due to how it was filmed during that time. Some CGI effects kind of look out of place (Gollum).

https://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/91349 ... luray.html

My recommended 4K UHD HDR blu-ray movies list:
top-4k-uhd-hdr-blu-ray-recommendations-2329335/
trinxified wrote: Wait out the inevitable combo pack with hobbit trilogy.
I thought the hobbits were the worst part of these movies.
They were mainly there for comic relief and slow sections. I have no interest in re-watching The Hobbit spin-off movies.
Deal Addict
May 7, 2007
2113 posts
1542 upvotes
Fredericton
Argh. Only slightly sour about the quick price drop as the normal price was worth it for me.
Koodo - $39/10GB
Koodo - $70 Huawei P20
Mar 10, 2012
237 posts
192 upvotes
THORNHILL
There's always someone on the physical media threads trying to be clever but instead just displaying their ignorance.

Maybe they're onto something! After all, why go out for fine dining when you can eat at Mcdonalds?
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2009
2008 posts
1369 upvotes
Hamilton
Thanks OP.
Saved $30 from Christmas. Gotta love Amazon chat telling me I have to return it and re buy instead of a price adjustment.

Not a problem.

Literally slap the sticker on the one that arrives tomorrow and they pay the shipping rather than a 2 second adjustment.

Whatever way you want to do this Amazon.
Jun 24, 2016
194 posts
256 upvotes
Why do people think posts like this are still cute? 4K UHD is the best possible presentation of films and if it’s films like the LOTR series, which many will watch regularly for the rest of their lives, why would you not want that? If you have a good set-up (which I’m assuming you don’t), films can really pop on the platform.

Whether it’s worth it for the extra $55-60 compared to iTunes/Google Play or better to wait for the premium set is debatable and depends on your set-up, but don’t come into threads trying to be either cute or ignorant.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2002
1305 posts
3044 upvotes
Fyi redeem the digital codes at moviesanywhere for 4k digital versions of all 6 movies.
Dec 15, 2019
451 posts
1355 upvotes
Markham
superchuko wrote: What's the deal with the digital copy? I'm noticing a lot of reviews mentioning it'll only work with U.S. iTunes, and some saying it's only SD.
correction, on the box says 4K wont work in Canada. So Im guessing it means 1080p works in Canada.
Mar 14, 2011
300 posts
120 upvotes
GTA
The code included will link you to a warner bros redemption site which will generate Google Play codes for the 3 films theatrical and extended versions, HOWEVER google play's store listings are so broken you might not be able to redeem them all OR it will redeem for the old transfer of the film instead of the 2020 version. I only got 4 out of 6 codes to work the other 2 claimed I had already owned the extended version from the original blu ray release. (Oh and even if you get the 2020 version some aren't 4K its completely random on there and don't bother complaining to them they just redirect you to either Warner or Google.)
Oct 29, 2010
343 posts
280 upvotes
Ottawa
Bought this at $110. Well worth it (despite being the 5th time I have purchased this trilogy).

The jump in colour range from HDR is almost distracting.
Picture quality is noticeable - though not drastic from the bluray.
Audio quality is probably the biggest jump. Some dialogue being much clearer, and other ambient and background chatter that I never picked up previous times.

(For scale, I've long lost count of how many times I have watched these movies - but I estimate it to be somewhere in the 600-700 viewings)