[Amazon.ca] Lorell Tempered Glass Chair Mat 50inch - preorder for $123.17

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 27th, 2021 9:31 pm
[OP]
Apr 15, 2009
97 posts
281 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Lorell Tempered Glass Chair Mat 50inch - preorder for $123.17

If you are in the market for an office chair mat, and want to try something different from the regular plastic/polycarb mats that break after few years, this is a good price in my opinion with good reviews on Amazon.ca.

It is currently unavailable for immediate shipping, but will ship in 1 week if you can wait. If you want it immediately, the smaller version is available for immediate shipping at 8% discount price.

About this item:
- Scratch-resistant material ensures long-lasting smoothness
- Durable construction supports up to 1, 000 lb.
- Easy-to-clean design allows quick, simple upkeep
- For use on any floor type

50 inch link (pre-oder):
https://www.amazon.ca/Lorell-Tempered-G ... 154&sr=8-6

Smaller (36" x 46") link:
https://www.amazon.ca/Lorell-Tempered-G ... 319&sr=8-5

Cheers
75 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2017
1252 posts
1963 upvotes
Dunno about this. Wouldn't there be risk of glass shards in case of harsh movements or dropping things? Besides, the sound of wheels on glass might be annoying.
Blowing all savings from RFD on deals from RFD 😂
Nov 8, 2007
577 posts
239 upvotes
This doesn't seem like a good idea at all. Rubber coated casters or rollerblade casters take up no space and no potential for cleaning up broken glass which is never fun.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2013
1436 posts
572 upvotes
Toronto
Not sure about this... Your floor has to be perfectly flat or else this will crack for sure.

I just ordered a polycarbonate mat from Amazon but won't arrive for another week (https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07SP69P9V/ref ... dGb2HWWK6P). You mentioned that they break after a few years. How do they actually fail?
[OP]
Apr 15, 2009
97 posts
281 upvotes
hssironman wrote: Not sure about this... Your floor has to be perfectly flat or else this will crack for sure.

I just ordered a polycarbonate mat from Amazon but won't arrive for another week (https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07SP69P9V/ref ... dGb2HWWK6P). You mentioned that they break after a few years. How do they actually fail?
Under the pressure points of the chair legs/contacts, the plastic cracks .. and eventually breaks apart after a few years, I have had to purchase new mat every few years.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 25, 2006
6365 posts
1297 upvotes
Don’t let the other guys tell you otherwise.

I think it’s a neat idea. Just need to clean glass would be my concern
"If you make a mistake but then change your ways, it is like never having made a mistake at all" - Confucius
Apr 29, 2016
90 posts
25 upvotes
I have this mat and love it. My office is in a common space in my house with laminate floors. The glass mat is not an eye sore since you can see the floors through it, and it should last forever VS those plastic mats as long as I don’t drop something and smash it.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2012
2045 posts
1542 upvotes
aintic wrote: Dunno about this. Wouldn't there be risk of glass shards in case of harsh movements or dropping things? Besides, the sound of wheels on glass might be annoying.
Neo_ZX wrote: This doesn't seem like a good idea at all. Rubber coated casters or rollerblade casters take up no space and no potential for cleaning up broken glass which is never fun.
hssironman wrote: Not sure about this... Your floor has to be perfectly flat or else this will crack for sure.

There's a reason why tempered glass mats are preferred and highly rated.

Plastic cups and dishes for everyone!
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
44952 posts
5525 upvotes
Richmond Hill
skorbs0190 wrote: I have this mat and love it. My office is in a common space in my house with laminate floors. The glass mat is not an eye sore since you can see the floors through it, and it should last forever VS those plastic mats as long as I don’t drop something and smash it.
That's a big what-if... at 5X the cost, you can replace the plastic ones many times over. Plus, if your floor is flat and not floating (shouldn't be a problem with hardwood, YMMV with laminate) the plastic should last a long time.
Artisan woodworker crafting live edge tables, end grain cutting boards, and other home decor
Silver Coins | Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio | Heatware
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2004
4737 posts
1252 upvotes
Wat
Not sure how you guys break a plastic one. Mines 17 yrs old and strong. Its a lifetime mat.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2016
7878 posts
8180 upvotes
The Prairies
Tempered glass does not crack, it explodes into tiny pieces.
It’s why all door glass needs to be tempered, to avoid serious injury or even death if you were to fall through it.
Anyway, tempered glass is of the strongest type, though it’s weak points are the edges.
It can withstand a hell of a force everywhere except it’s edges.
Deal Guru
Jan 10, 2008
12574 posts
21303 upvotes
coolintheshade wrote: Tempered glass does not crack, it explodes into tiny pieces.
It’s why all door glass needs to be tempered, to avoid serious injury or even death if you were to fall through it.
Anyway, tempered glass is of the strongest type, though it’s weak points are the edges.
Tell that to my windshield
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
3190 posts
1966 upvotes
Montreal
Like Prince Rupert's drop, seeming indestructible until it actually breaks, then it turns into a bomb. Or the various reports of outdoor table/car sunroof spontaneously exploding.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2016
7878 posts
8180 upvotes
The Prairies
stephroll wrote: Tell that to my windshield
Educate yourself, windshields are laminated glass, not tempered.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2016
7878 posts
8180 upvotes
The Prairies
jzmtl wrote: Or the various reports of outdoor table/car sunroof spontaneously exploding.
Glass doesn’t just break all on its own, something had to have come into contact with it, regardless of what the crazy people in the reports say.
Deal Guru
Jan 6, 2005
11667 posts
3059 upvotes
Stevey3001 wrote: Under the pressure points of the chair legs/contacts, the plastic cracks .. and eventually breaks apart after a few years, I have had to purchase new mat every few years.
But they’re like $20 or so, a fraction of this price. In the past my poly ones have been fine but on a carpeted floor I find that it’s cracked more easily due to the surface not being firm, how does the same not happen with the glass ones, asking honestly, I see it says for all floor surfaces.
The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD.

The second rule of RFD is, you DO NOT talk about RFD.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2010
2655 posts
1006 upvotes
Ottawa
coolintheshade wrote: Tempered glass does not crack, it explodes into tiny pieces.
As luck would have it, that is EXACTLY where I am gonna drop something...on the edge. ALL of my screen protectors I've had, have survived drops on the floor. But that one time I drop a spoon on it, of course it hits the exact edge and chips it. Or that one time I let the tablet slip, of course it hit my phone right on the corner of the screen protector. Unlucky people like me should not be buying a big piece of glass.
Cocopuffs43421 wrote: I have one of the mats with faux wooden slats on it - it has lasted me 7 years and isn't make of breakable glass. Not in stock but you should look for similar.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B003JV2F0U/ref ... dGb7FEVXJE
This is actually kind of cool. My carpet is pretty thick, and even the thickest mat from staples will leave dimples and I gotta push my chair out of the dents. I'll have to wait until the one I have cracks before I get something new tho.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2016
7878 posts
8180 upvotes
The Prairies
eugene188 wrote: As luck would have it, that is EXACTLY where I am gonna drop something...on the edge. ALL of my screen protectors I've had, have survived drops on the floor. But that one time I drop a spoon on it, of course it hits the exact edge and chips it. Or that one time I let the tablet slip, of course it hit my phone right on the corner of the screen protector. Unlucky people like me should not be buying a big piece of glass.

This is actually kind of cool. My carpet is pretty thick, and even the thickest mat from staples will leave dimples and I gotta push my chair out of the dents. I'll have to wait until the one I have cracks before I get something new tho.
I wouldn’t buy this product, even though it is strong, and probably will last a long time.
But as you said, there’s always that chance that something will hit the edge.
I’d be afraid of one of the casters of my chair rolling over the edge, while I have my full body weight on it.
That may be enough to seal the fate of this item, I don’t know, but certainly not something I’m willing to risk for this kind of money.
I work in arms length in the glass industry, and honestly, I’ve never found myself saying “hey that tempered glass would make a great chair mat”.
It might work, but there’s always the potential for it to not.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
4824 posts
1550 upvotes
aintic wrote: Dunno about this. Wouldn't there be risk of glass shards in case of harsh movements or dropping things? Besides, the sound of wheels on glass might be annoying.
If it is real tempered glass then there are no shards when it breaks
It's just like automobile windshield glass, it shatters into small non-sharp pieces