Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] Lutron Caseta Smart Dimmer Switch and Remote Kit $61.99 (11% off)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 13th, 2019 12:39 pm
[OP]
Jul 1, 2009
863 posts
1320 upvotes

[Amazon Canada] Lutron Caseta Smart Dimmer Switch and Remote Kit $61.99 (11% off)

Sale has restarted at Amazon for $61.99 as sold by YSC Canada and shipped by Amazon.ca (Take Note: this sale is NOT sold by Amazon.ca but shipped by them). This item is not on sale from Best Buy or Lowes anymore.

The Lutron Caseta Wireless Smart Lighting Dimmer Switch and Remote Kit for Wall & Ceiling Lights is currently on sale for $61.99 from Amazon, an 11% ($7.96) discount from regular price.

The Lutron Caseta system, unlike Philips Hue without a separate stick-on-wall button, controls generic LED and other non-color light bulbs via voice (using Home, Alexa, etc) AND the dimming switch and/or the included Pico remote. You never have to worry about a bulb becoming out of sync or unavailable due to a switch being turned off by a family member: you always retain automation, app and voice access to a Lutron Caseta system regardless of switch position. This is particularly helpful in bedrooms and other areas where access to a physical switch is a near requirement or highly desirable.

The Clear Connect RF that Lutron systems communicate over is a very efficient and sparse part of the radio spectrum that allows Caseta systems to work long distance and interference free in most households and businesses. This particular kit includes the smart dimmer, screwless Claro faceplate as well as the battery operated Pico remote control. With the Pico remote (and a separate in-wall mounting plate for the remote if desired) this kit can be used as or to replace a three way lighting system without requiring three way wiring (useful for hallways, kitchens with multiple entrances, etc). Uniquely, Lutron Caseta systems don't require Neutral wires either for installation (but can be installed with them, of course) and its two black wiring leads can run to Neutral or hot, interchangeably, making them extremely easy to install in almost all households, new or old. The Caseta system requires its own separately purchased hub or starter kit (one per house) and is fully compatible and integrates with most other hubs and smart control systems such as SmartThings, Wink, Home Assistant, Logitech Harmony, etc and of course it fully supports Google Home, Amazon Alexa, IFTTT among many others. The Caseta app on Android or Apple allows full scene creation, automation and access to each dimmer and switch installed or you can integrate with SmartThings, etc and use those ecosystems for automation and control.

Latest edit: re-activated sale at Amazon.ca
Last edited by Elrondolio on Jun 28th, 2019 4:37 pm, edited 8 times in total.
80 replies
Aug 24, 2016
101 posts
86 upvotes
Montreal, Quebec
Same price at Lowe’s and BestBuy: 59.99 (10.00 off)
May 17, 2013
37 posts
74 upvotes
Home Depot is showing $69.98, so you should be able to price beat/match using the Lowe's or Best Buy as proof for an extra 10% off ($53.99).
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2010
5155 posts
1209 upvotes
Kanata
Have a few of these, it never goes on sale and for good reason. If you're willing to spend the money, this is a great reliable system to have with smartthings. You still need the lutron hub to work with smartthings.
Uh, yeah, I'd like to speak to a Mr. Tabooger, first name Ollie.
Jan 12, 2004
553 posts
128 upvotes
Thanks! Been waiting forever for these to go on sale. Need to buy a bunch of them for my reno.
Sep 18, 2007
314 posts
917 upvotes
Thanks! Been waiting for these to go on sale too. Finally!
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
1595 posts
1462 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Ughhh trying not to spend money and then these pop up. Anyone have experience using them with homekit via the bridge? Reliable? I know the reviews are all glowing.
Sep 23, 2005
298 posts
139 upvotes
Toronto
I use a mixture of home automation tech including Lutron, Insteon, and SmartThings. I love that these ones only need a 2-wire install and come with the remote. If you want to mount the remote to a wall for a 3-way switch, you'll need an adapter plate.

I like the Insteon switches best - they have the cleanest look to them (most similar to Decora) and are fastest acting. The Lutron's are great value for the included Pico remote, which I installed on the wall where there was no switch previously. The only thing I don't like about the Lutron is that it doesn't seem to handle my fluorescent light fixture properly. It flickers terribly for about 5 minutes until it settles down, and I didn't have that issue with the regular switch. It isn't an issue for my LED lights, but I'd think twice if you have fluorescent lights.

Just PM'd at Home Depot for $54. Not as good a deal as when I got the Amazon error a few years ago for Insteon's at $15/ea, but a great price for this switch today.
Sep 18, 2007
314 posts
917 upvotes
Ecsta wrote:
Jun 12th, 2019 8:26 am
Ughhh trying not to spend money and then these pop up. Anyone have experience using them with homekit via the bridge? Reliable? I know the reviews are all glowing.
Yep, I use these with homekit. Works seamlessly. No issues whatsoever either through Siri or the Home app. You just need an apple hub at home if you want remote access while not on wifi (Apple TV, HomePod, iPad)

Only annoyance I find is when you turn on the lights, it automatically goes to max brightness. Instead of last set brightness. Oh well.
Jan 12, 2004
553 posts
128 upvotes
not homekit but they've worked flawlessly for me with google assistant via bridge.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
1595 posts
1462 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
allybert wrote:
Jun 12th, 2019 8:39 am
Yep, I use these with homekit. Works seamlessly. No issues whatsoever either through Siri or the Home app. You just need an apple hub at home if you want remote access while not on wifi (Apple TV, HomePod, iPad)

Only annoyance I find is when you turn on the lights, it automatically goes to max brightness. Instead of last set brightness. Oh well.
Thanks for the info. That's kind of weird but not a deal breaker.. Does it default to the last state after a power failure? ie power cuts out and comes back in the middle of the night, it stays off right?
[OP]
Jul 1, 2009
863 posts
1320 upvotes
Ecsta wrote:
Jun 12th, 2019 8:48 am
Thanks for the info. That's kind of weird but not a deal breaker.. Does it default to the last state after a power failure? ie power cuts out and comes back in the middle of the night, it stays off right?
These default to off when power is restored but not last state, IIRC. In my setup (mix of mostly Caseta, some Philips Hue for color in lamps, a few GE Z-Wave switches to extend my Z-Wave reach and SmartThings) the Caseta lights return to their last dim state when turned back on via voice (Google Home) unless pressing the power on button manually (which goes full brightness). Even at the switch, however, if you tap the dim up button once they'll turn on to their dimmest level - great for at night. On the Pico remote you can set the middle, round button at a favourite dim level for quick access.
[OP]
Jul 1, 2009
863 posts
1320 upvotes
lostinpangea wrote:
Jun 12th, 2019 8:27 am
I like the Insteon switches best - they have the cleanest look to them (most similar to Decora)
Funny how tastes run as my wife and I prefer the Claro multi-layer look of these Lutrons compared to the Decora flat edge style (we really don't prefer the more retro round edged styles). I have a mixture of both styles throughout the house but am slowly upgrading to Claro plates for the last few bedrooms, etc light switches that still have them (almost all my low wall electrical outlets remain Decora). Claro plates are damn expensive though so probably not worth it for most people as Decora plates can be had for a song.

Claro in the center:
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
1517 posts
221 upvotes
Markham
How does this compare to TP Link smart switches?
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2007
1965 posts
937 upvotes
Ottawa
These have a lot of compatibility issues with LED bulbs...but if you have no neutral wire its a good option.
I have 3 unopened units in Ottawa I will sell for $60 each - no tax if anyone is interested.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)