Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] Lutron Caseta Smart Home Dimmer Switch and Pico Remote Kit ($59.95)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 6th, 2019 11:53 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
1993 posts
3600 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Lutron Caseta Smart Home Dimmer Switch and Pico Remote Kit ($59.95)

Amazon has the Lutron Caseta Smart Home Dimmer Switch and Pico Remote Kit on sale for $59.95, $10 or 14% off its normal price of $69.95 until October 18. This is the lowest price it's been on Amazon since July of 2018. The Caseta system requires its own hub, available in starter kits or purchased separately.

This switch with remote kit is also available for the same price at Home Depot, Best Buy, Lowes (with a 10% off coupon for new email subscribers) and other retailers across Canada.

The Lutron Caseta system controls generic LED and other non-color light bulbs via voice (using Home, Alexa, etc) and the dimming switch and/or the included Pico remote. You never have to worry about a bulb becoming out of sync or unavailable due to a switch being turned off by a family member such as with Hue systems, etc: you always retain automation, app and voice access to a Lutron Caseta system regardless of switch position. This is particularly helpful in bedrooms and other areas where access to a physical switch is a near requirement or highly desirable.

The Clear Connect RF that Lutron systems communicate over is a very efficient and sparse part of the radio spectrum that allows Caseta systems to work long distance and interference free in most households and businesses. This particular kit includes the smart dimmer, screwless Claro faceplate as well as the battery operated Pico remote control. With the Pico remote (and a separate in-wall mounting plate for the remote if desired) this kit can be used as or to replace a three way lighting system without requiring three way wiring (useful for hallways, kitchens with multiple entrances, etc). Uniquely, Lutron Caseta systems don't require Neutral wires either for installation (but can be installed with them, of course) and its two black wiring leads can run to Neutral or hot, interchangeably, making them extremely easy to install in almost all households. The Caseta system is fully compatible and integrates with most other hubs and smart control systems such as SmartThings, Wink, Home Assistant, Logitech Harmony, etc and of course it fully supports Google Home, Amazon Alexa, IFTTT among many others. The Caseta app on Android or Apple allows full scene creation, automation and access to each dimmer and switch installed or you can integrate with SmartThings, etc and use those ecosystems for automation and control.

Thread Summary
66 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
4399 posts
1753 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
Caseta is definitely a premium price smart control system but in my opinion is absolutely worthy of a premium price. It is a quality, reliable product. I've already converted our entire home aside from a few lights we never use anyways otherwise I'd be in for this.
Last edited by ChicoQuente on Oct 10th, 2019 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 17, 2008
115 posts
20 upvotes
Random fact for you guys. Deloitte’s office on Yonge and Adelaide uses these light switches all over the place.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
1993 posts
3600 upvotes
ChicoQuente wrote: Caseta is definitely a premium price smart control system but in my opinion is absolutely worthy of a premium price. It is a quality, reliable product. I've already converted our entire home aside from a few lights we never use anyways otherwise I'd be in for this.
I agree completely. We've converted most of our home to Caseta as well, outside of some Hue and Lifx for splashes of colour in lamps, the garden, patio, etc. Caseta is very reliable in our automations and has saved us quite a bit on hydro costs as we rarely run any of our home on full brightness anymore thanks to the infinite dimming possibilities. They're also the easiest switches I've ever installed thanks to being pre-wired with interchangeable leads (let alone not requiring neutral for older homes). Highly recommended.
Apr 6, 2013
253 posts
200 upvotes
Great switches. I've used them throughout my house and may buy another few now.
I see that Lowe's is 3¢ cheaper than Home Depot, there could be a possibility of HD price match and beating the price by 10%. Price would end up around $54
Aug 23, 2014
375 posts
209 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Does it work with SmartThings hub?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
1993 posts
3600 upvotes
grahamj89 wrote: Great switches. I've used them throughout my house and may buy another few now.
I see that Lowe's is 3¢ cheaper than Home Depot, there could be a possibility of HD price match and beating the price by 10%. Price would end up around $54
Good catch. One can also create a new account with Lowes using your existing gmail address and a little trick: add a plus sign and any additional text after that and most places see that as a unique, new email address but Google treats it as the same as your normal email address. For example:

someone@gmail.com
and
someone+lowes01@gmail.com

is the same address in Google's eyes (arrive to same inbox, etc) but is unique and different most other places on the web. Good for signing up for new services where you may want to easily block future emails from in the future and, in this case, getting discounts for newsletter signups repeatedly, etc. Questionable morality, but works just fine.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
1993 posts
3600 upvotes
sorrowt wrote: Does it work with SmartThings hub?
Yes, but not directly. The Caseta hub is required but then you access it via your SmartThings hub where you add the Caseta login details... all devices become available for full control and automation in SmartThings at that point.

Edited for clarity.
Last edited by Elrondolio on Oct 11th, 2019 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 1, 2015
186 posts
97 upvotes
Toronto
Elrondolio wrote: Yes. The Caseta hub is accessed via SmartThings hub when you add the Caseta login... all devices become available for full control and automation.
The hub however, is not on sale currently. Anyone know if it ever does go on sale?
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3425 posts
637 upvotes
London
Totally new to this.
If this is installed how does it work differently than having a switch at either end of a room?
How can I use it to turn only a ceiling fan off and keep the light on?

Any help appreciated!
Dec 16, 2010
9 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
grahamj89 wrote: Great switches. I've used them throughout my house and may buy another few now.
I was able to price match home Depot with Lowe's. Not sure if I was able to order multiple on a price match as I needed 3. Thanks!

Caseta Wireless Smart Lighting Dimmer Switch with Remote in White

This Item Has been Modified
Model Number P-PKG1W-WH-R-C
Store SKU 1000720941

Item Price
$59.98
Price Changed To $53.95
Quantity 1
Discount $6.03
Item Total $53.95
Apr 26, 2009
713 posts
508 upvotes
Calgary
snow00774 wrote: Totally new to this.
If this is installed how does it work differently than having a switch at either end of a room?

Any help appreciated!
You won’t be able to use this for fan control. This only controls lighting. They do make a switch with fan control though.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
1993 posts
3600 upvotes
snow00774 wrote: Totally new to this.

Any help appreciated!
As for the "either end of the room" aspect, this can work in a three way setup (ie: hallway with a switch at one end and another switch at the other end that controls the same overhead fixture). Caseta doesn't require three way wiring however and, even if an area was wired for three way, wouldn't use that wiring. Instead, you wire up one of the existing switches with the main Caseta dimmer and at the other location you tie off existing wires and install the Pico instead: the wireless, battery operated remote included in this kit. By the way, those Pico batteries last for a decade or more.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
1993 posts
3600 upvotes
ateddybear wrote: The hub however, is not on sale currently. Anyone know if it ever does go on sale?
You are correct, as stated in the original post this requires the Caseta hub, even if you want to interface with the SmartThings hub. The Caseta starter kit that includes the hub goes on 3rd party but new stock sale somewhat frequently, about every month or so for around $100 and goes on sale from Amazon and other Canadian suppliers directly once or maybe twice a year (last Amazon sale for the starter kit was in early March for $98.99). If you need the hub I'd bet it'll be discounted next black Friday in November. This is a good deal on the switch and remote, however, so if you think you'll go the Caseta route I wouldn't pass these up right now and just don't install them until you get the hub in the future (or install them and use them as regular dumb dimmers for now - they work fine that way without a hub).
Mar 15, 2005
747 posts
598 upvotes
We're getting some renos done at our place. The elecrician who upgraded us to 200amp service and replaced our panel gave me props for having caseta, gave them praise and said they are in a different league than other wifi smart switches.

Thanks op, perfect timing as I was short a couple for the kitchen, and the electrician is back on Tuesday to finish the job
Jan 10, 2009
224 posts
269 upvotes
toronto
I picked up a few of these during prime day this year for 20% off ($49.59). Maybe they might do another sale like that for black Friday?
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
3166 posts
3107 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Last time Lowes had a sale i ordered 2 to get the email discount twice..

The first one that was shipped was literally a package that was already ripped open and poorly stuffed back into the packaging.

The second one that was shipped was new, but the incorrect model #.

Called support they said no problem just go to a store to exchange them. They told me which stores had stock. Went to the first store to exchange them and literally they said "it's showing we have 10 in stock but we can't find any on the shelf". Waited 10 minutes and went looking for myself and no luck. The guy was nice and called another store and made them physically get them and put them at customer service for me. So off i go to store two which luckily didn't lose them in the 15 minutes it took me to get there.

tldr; Spending half a day was not worth the extra 10% off at Lowes..

The product itself is amazing. I'll wait for the hub pack to go on sale as it's been cheaper. Hoping for something good on black friday.
Nov 8, 2012
326 posts
351 upvotes
TORONTO
One thing to keep in mind with this dimmer is that it needs a minimum load and always sends some current to the unit. My chandelier bulbs would always stay dimly lit when this dimmer was turned off. I had to use a lut MLC to add an additional load for the chandelier to turn off.

Also it requires no neutral.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 7, 2011
9501 posts
14641 upvotes
ateddybear wrote: The hub however, is not on sale currently. Anyone know if it ever does go on sale?
The hub alone is approx. $100, but the kits go on sale for cheaper, so I bought one just for the hub to control my plug in module.

Lutron P-PKG1P-WH-C Caseta Wireless 300-Watt/100-Plug-In Lamp Dimmer with Pico Remote Control Kit, White (Works with Amazon Alexa)
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00MFM9ETE <-- Paid $53.xx

Lutron Caseta Wireless Smart Lighting Dimmer Switch Starter Kit, P-BDG-PKG1W-C, White, Works with Amazon Alexa
https://www.amazon.ca/Lutron-Wireless-L ... B015XEE8CI <-- Paid $97.xx
This kit has everything from the OP's post, plus the hub!

Lutron Caseta, is an amazing brand to go with, and setup was a breeze!
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2003
1042 posts
131 upvotes
Thanks OP for the post.

I like Caseta too and it has worked well for me. One thing I enjoy about RFD is people sharing their valuable experiences and tips.

So my small tip to others is that some bulbs may not be compatible with this switch and you will see this when the light is turned on it would flicker a bit before staying on. It's probably not the case anymore with better "dimmable" LED bulbs on the market but some of my older LED bulbs in relatively hard to reach places had this issue.

If you do encounter this issue, you can try their more expensive low voltage switch that requires a neutral wire:

https://www.amazon.ca/Lutron-Caseta-Wir ... =hi&sr=1-1

It's more expensive, but it also has the circular button in the middle, which is the "the favorite button to return lights to pre-selected level". I wish all their switches came with this button, but only this one and the Pico remote switch has it.