• Last Updated:
  • Aug 28th, 2021 9:35 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2015
1056 posts
1276 upvotes
NB

[Amazon.ca] Lutron Caseta smart switch starter kit (hub+switch) $95, PM Home Depot

https://www.amazon.ca/Lutron-Starter-HomeKit-Assistant-P-BDG-PKG1WS-C/dp/B08FVDZGQF

Deals on Lutron Caseta smart systems are fairly rare, here is one: Caseta hub and switch for $95 (sold by a third party and fulfilled by Amazon). The same kit is $120 @ Home Depot, they will price match.

There are newer and cheaper smart switch systems, but Caseta is the most reliable, and the control app seems to request fairly modest list of permissions, no phone book access etc
"Stuff should not be multiplied without necessity"
13 replies
Feb 9, 2020
83 posts
78 upvotes
Not bad. We have Caseta through most of our home and are very happy with it.
Jul 24, 2005
372 posts
492 upvotes
GTA
get the pro bridge/hub if you plan on doing integrations with other systems
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2012
4647 posts
4144 upvotes
Good deal. Hub is usually $100 by itself.
Looks like Amazon dropped the price to $95 as well so no need to price match.
Last edited by muffin4life on Aug 27th, 2021 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 9, 2020
83 posts
78 upvotes
2kaccordcoupe wrote: get the pro bridge/hub if you plan on doing integrations with other systems
I looked into that briefly when we started getting stuff. What is an example of how it would benefit me?
What sort of integrations aren't possible with the standard one?
Was it easy to setup?
Jul 13, 2016
141 posts
311 upvotes
The Pro hubs have Telnet functionality, which allows other software to integrate with it and control it at a low level.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2004
5091 posts
812 upvotes
Toronto
I need an extra switch but already have a Smart Bridge.

Would anyone be interested in split a kit who needs a Bridge?
h2o- a.k.a. 阿水 (Ah Sui)

Dec 1, 2006
821 posts
124 upvotes
For those who have SmartThings Hub, what's the purpose of their hub?
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2015
1004 posts
1093 upvotes
Toronto, ON
soupmaster666 wrote: The Pro hubs have Telnet functionality, which allows other software to integrate with it and control it at a low level.
If I use HomeAssistant, is the Hub Pro needed?
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
23475 posts
8386 upvotes
Watch out with hubs. My Sylvania/Osram ones are set to be disabled for anything but an internal network as of the end of the month. Had 5 years and then "poof". No more remote usage as they are turning off the cloud service...
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2007
4077 posts
1592 upvotes
Montreal
chinmoku_tak wrote: For those who have SmartThings Hub, what's the purpose of their hub?
You need their hub to interface with smartthings.
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2012
4647 posts
4144 upvotes
DougO wrote: Watch out with hubs. My Sylvania/Osram ones are set to be disabled for anything but an internal network as of the end of the month. Had 5 years and then "poof". No more remote usage as they are turning off the cloud service...
That's true but Lutron is big and is making new products that use their proprietary hub. Should be around long term...

Sylvania light bulbs and others using proprietary hubs will probably die sooner or later. Except for Phillips which has a large following.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
44366 posts
7685 upvotes
Does this have MFA/2FA setup? Any other management features via the web?
Blanka
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
23475 posts
8386 upvotes
muffin4life wrote: That's true but Lutron is big and is making new products that use their proprietary hub. Should be around long term...

Sylvania light bulbs and others using proprietary hubs will probably die sooner or later. Except for Phillips which has a large following.
Yes, they seem to have been sold to the Chinese a few years back. It's a wonder then the hubs lasted this long. From Wikipedia:

" In 2016, Osram spun off the general lighting business which included the North American Osram Sylvania unit into an independent company called LEDVANCE headquartered in Garching, Germany. In 2017, LEDVANCE was merged into a consortium of Chinese investment companies and the Chinese lighting manufacturer MLS under the LEDVANCE name. The North American headquarters of LEDVANCE, previously referred to as Osram Sylvania, and located in Danvers, Massachusetts, was relocated to Wilmington, Massachusetts in 2015, a town north of Boston, MA. LEDVANCE continues to use the well known Osram and Sylvania brand names in their corresponding and representative markets throughout the world."

Looks like I'll have to look for another manufacturer or else switch to other non hub bulbs. I tried Globe but have had several failures with them in the past couple years while I have had only 1 of about 10 Osram/Sylvania bulbs go bad in the 5 or so years I've owned them.