[Amazon.ca] Lutron Maestro Motion Sensor Switch - $21.98

• Last Updated:
  • May 4th, 2021 11:25 am
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
20489 posts
961 upvotes
Shanghai, China
clseea wrote: Turn off power at the breaker.
Take off the plate.
Remove the switches.
Install these.
Put plate back on.
There will be enough space to install these switches next to each other? Could there be any interference issues with the motion sensors next to each other?
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2009
1749 posts
1174 upvotes
Toronto
This is basically regular price at HD or Lowes.
Banned
Apr 14, 2017
605 posts
896 upvotes
RFD
Anyone know how to use the daylight off function?

Only downside (upside in most situations) of this switch is that it's hyper sensitive even at the lowest setting.
Feb 15, 2019
62 posts
45 upvotes
Winnipeg
I bought this two years ago for $23 and installed in my pantry. Works great and auto-shuts off when there’s no motion after a minute - I think you can change the settings too.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
6959 posts
6822 upvotes
Gee wrote: I have these in all my closets and washrooms. Works really well in the powder room

Don’t use these for the bathroom fans. You need the 5 amp version for that.
Umm, why?

Bathroom fans use around 20W, some less, some more, most is about 60W. Why in heck would you expect a bathroom fan to need over 500W?

Unless you're talking about a fan with an integrated heat light? But even then, that light is separately switched from the fan.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
1551 posts
197 upvotes
repatch wrote: Umm, why?

Bathroom fans use around 20W, some less, some more, most is about 60W. Why in heck would you expect a bathroom fan to need over 500W?
you've obviously never got into the washroom after my son has take a dump.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
1551 posts
197 upvotes
Sgt_Strider wrote: There will be enough space to install these switches next to each other? Could there be any interference issues with the motion sensors next to each other?
The motion sensor will trigger both bulbs simultaneously. Might as well put them on the same switch if you're going to do that.
Jul 15, 2008
331 posts
47 upvotes

Unless you're talking about a fan with an integrated heat light? But even then, that light is separately switched from the fan.
We are just going by what it says on the product box. So if you think it’s ok to use for bathroom fan, go ahead.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
9658 posts
2063 upvotes
Edmonton
Sgt_Strider wrote: There will be enough space to install these switches next to each other? Could there be any interference issues with the motion sensors next to each other?
Shouldn't have a space issue, might need to be a bit tidier with tucking the wires in but no big deal. Both sensors will go on, but I'm not sure what other interference you'd encounter?
Last edited by clseea on Apr 12th, 2021 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33808 posts
7451 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
repatch wrote: Bathroom fans use around 20W, some less, some more, most is about 60W. Why in heck would you expect a bathroom fan to need over 500W?
You make a valid point. But if you look at the packaging, the 2 amp version of the occupancy switch doesn't recommend using it for a fan. If you look at the 5 amp version, it has a fan listed.

It clearly says Exhaust Fan to the right of the switch (blister pack) and it is absent from the 2 amp version.
Jul 10, 2019
7 posts
29 upvotes

I had to jump in...

Lights are resistive load, fans are inductive load. The fan will pull much more current when first turned on to get it spinning. I would stick with what the manufacturer recommends to avoid your switch failing, or worse, a fire.
Jan 26, 2004
330 posts
198 upvotes
Georgetown
i have a two way switch for garage lights. one switch is inside the house ( as soon as i enter the house) and one switch is in the garage on a wall. can i replace it with the switch which is currently in garage wall? this will make my life so much easier. as soon as someone enters garage, the lights will go on.

dont know if this will work with 2 way switch,.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
2322 posts
1388 upvotes
Vancouveresque
If you're buying the 5 amp version of this switch, it's available at HD and likely elsewhere for much less than Amazon (ex. $36 at HD): https://www.homedepot.ca/product/lutron ... 1000720114 https://www.lowes.ca/product/lutron-mae ... tch-393723
mackey2001 wrote: i have a two way switch for garage lights. one switch is inside the house ( as soon as i enter the house) and one switch is in the garage on a wall. can i replace it with the switch which is currently in garage wall? this will make my life so much easier. as soon as someone enters garage, the lights will go on.

5 amp version works with a 3-way switch as you've described - no such thing as a '2-way switch'. :)
Nobody cares which exploitative corporations you give your money to every month. Capitalism is a plague on this planet. Get that crap out of your signature.
Sep 26, 2006
818 posts
191 upvotes
North York
mackey2001 wrote: i have a two way switch for garage lights. one switch is inside the house ( as soon as i enter the house) and one switch is in the garage on a wall. can i replace it with the switch which is currently in garage wall? this will make my life so much easier. as soon as someone enters garage, the lights will go on.

This is called a three way switch. Not a 2 way switch.

Being a single pole switch, this will not work for your garage setup.
Jul 8, 2008
887 posts
307 upvotes
Toronto
Cabal05 wrote: Sorry kinda cold, 18.68$ at HD. Price match to Lowes maybe hot :) Your friend has shared a link to a Home Depot product they think you would be interested in seeing.

Lutron Maestro 2 amp Single-Pole Motion Sensing Switch in White

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/lutron ... 1000720113
Where are you guys seeing this for $18? I only see $22. Did HD RFD creeps change the pricing since they saw this thread on RFD?
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
14528 posts
8456 upvotes
Southern Ontario
The similar price is worth free Prime delivery
Banned
Apr 14, 2017
605 posts
896 upvotes
RFD
sidde0 wrote: Where are you guys seeing this for $18? I only see $22. Did HD RFD creeps change the pricing since they saw this thread on RFD?
Change your store to anjou and use ship to home if you have 49$ to spend.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2010
4462 posts
2344 upvotes
sidde0 wrote: Where are you guys seeing this for $18? I only see $22. Did HD RFD creeps change the pricing since they saw this thread on RFD?
Quick search, Gerrard square comes up 18.68 with 22 in stock. Just play around with stores in Toronto.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2005
2682 posts
797 upvotes
North York
JimU wrote: for bathroom fan, why not just use a timer switch rather than a motion detection switch

Lutron Maestro 5 A Countdown Digital Eco-Timer
$40
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/lutron ... 1000739921
I was just going to post this as I have this countdown digital timer in all my bathrooms with exhaust fans. They work great and you get to pick how long you want the fan to stay on for after you start the timer too.

The original motion sensor by the OP is great for the laundry area and it is sensitive enough that if my wife is ironing or folding stuff it won't shut off or require her to wave at it to turn back on too. In regards to the price this is pretty standard everyday price and that is what I paid for it last November.