Expired Hot Deals

Amazon.ca

Lysol Laundry Additive, Eliminates Bacteria, 2.7L - $8.99 ($3.00 off, regularly $11.99)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 22nd, 2020 11:39 am
[OP]
Aug 12, 2009
21 posts
51 upvotes
Thornhill

[Amazon.ca] Lysol Laundry Additive, Eliminates Bacteria, 2.7L - $8.99 ($3.00 off, regularly $11.99)

Hi all,

I purchased a couple of bottles a couple of weeks ago and noticed it's currently on sale for $8.99 ($3.00 off, regularly $11.99). According to CCC, lowest price was $6.99 (Dec 07, 2019). Here is the Amazon product description:
  • Eliminates bacteria like Staphylococcus Aureus & Klebsiella pneumoniae, simply add to rinse cycle
  • Contains 0% bleach, works even in cold water
  • Gentle on most fabrics including whites & colors
  • Works in all standard & HE machines
  • Suitable for children's clothes, gym clothes, underwear, towels, bedding & delicates
I've been using it when washing my reusable masks (you put the additive in the fabric softener compartment or add during rinse cycle). I figure it can't hurt to eliminate any bacteria that accumulates on the mask. The scent is "Crisp Linen", it's mild and not overpowering to me.

Edit#1:
Hi all. Due to some of the responses, I did some additional research on the product. I want to post it here so people can make an informed decision on whether to spend the money on this. Here's what I found:
  • Lysol Laundry Sanitizer Ingredient information here
  • SDS Info here
  • Lysol Laundry Sanitizer (Lysol Laundry Additive here in Canada) is on the EPA's List N: Disinfectants for Use Against SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) - EPA Reg # 777-128. You can check here by entering the EPA Reg #.
  • According to the EPA's List N, the active ingredient is "Quaternary ammonium" and the disinfection instruction is a laundry presoak only for a contact time of 5 minutes.
  • The product page on Lysol's US website gives the following information: "Pre-Soaking to Disinfect and Kill 99.9% of Viruses: Pour 2 capfuls into 1 gallon of cold water. Soak items for 15 minutes. Rinse thoroughly with clean water or machine wash as directed.
  • Lysol Laundry Additive is not listed on Health Canada's list of hard-surface disinfectants with evidence against COVID-19. I think this is the reason why Lysol does not make the same claims for the product here in Canada.
  • Lysol Canada's help and support page for Lysol Laundry Additive states "What is Lysol Laundry Additive effective against? Lysol Laundry Additive eliminates odour-causing bacteria that laundry detergents leave behind."
In summary, here are the applications I think it works for:
  1. eliminating odours on fabrics caused by bacteria at cold wash temperatures
  2. a bleach-alternative for disenfecting fabrics of viruses (following the EPA or Lysol's directions for use)
I hope this helps.
Last edited by cptwonton on Jul 21st, 2020 8:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
38 replies
May 28, 2013
619 posts
438 upvotes
Laval, QC
To kill Covid-19 soap works just fine, hence we only need to wash our hands to kill it, as for other bacteria it might be useful.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2013
2129 posts
14765 upvotes
This is just Lysol trying to scare people into a new product category/sales - laundry soap is completely effective at disinfecting COVID soiled articles. This product is NOT necessary and is a scummy move by Lysol.

Source 1:
How can you clean soiled bedding, towels and linens from patients with COVID-19?

All individuals dealing with soiled bedding, towels and clothes from patients with COVID-19 should:

Wash and disinfect linen: washing by machine with warm water (60-90°C) and laundry detergent is recommended for cleaning and disinfection of linens. If machine washing is not possible, linen can be soaked in hot water and soap in a large drum, using a stick to stir, avoiding splashing. If hot water not available, soak linen in 0.05% chlorine for approximately 30 minutes. Finally, rinse with clean water and let linen dry fully in the sunlight.
Source from the WHO

Source 2:
“Because it’s an enveloped virus, it’s really susceptible to detergents,” says Rachel Graham, a virologist at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. The envelope that encapsulates viruses like influenza and SARS-CoV-2 is a delicate layer of oily lipids and proteins, held together by surface tension.

Laundry detergents and soaps contain surfactants, chemicals that easily break that envelope apart by reducing surface tension, explains Joshua Santarpia, a pathologist at the University of Nebraska Medical Center in Omaha. A surfactant molecule has one end that’s attracted to oil and grease, while the other is attracted to water. The oil-loving end wedges into the coronavirus’s envelope, busting it apart. The remnants get trapped in circular pods of surfactant called micelles and are washed away in water.

“The interaction of that surfactant with the viral envelope pretty quickly destroys the ability of that virus to be infective,” Santarpia says. Potent surfactants are found in most home and commercial cleaning products.

The water temperature in the washing machine doesn’t matter as long as you use detergent. “The masks made of cotton withstand higher temperatures, so if it makes you feel better to wash it at a higher temp, go ahead and do that,” Graham says. The high, concentrated heat from a dryer offers added protection: it’s enough to kill most microorganisms.
National Geographic Source
Jul 31, 2015
806 posts
500 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
So I was kind of curious about this since it seems redundant because laundry detergent (and usually hot water setting) is more than enough to kill and/or wash off bacteria. Someone in the Amazon review found out what the ingredients were:

Water, Alkyl (C14 50%, C12 40%, C16 10%) dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride, C12-16 Alcohols Ethoxylated, Octyl decyl dimethyl ammonium chloride, Didecyl dimethyl ammonium chloride, Fragrance,
Dioctyl dimethyl ammonium chloride, Sodium Carbonate, Sodium Bicarbonate, Colorant.

So basically lots of ammonium chloride which found in most cleaning products, washing soda, baking soda, and nice smelling fragrance.

I think it's a pretty good price for 1L of rinse-aid if you are used to using fabric softener. I've also been finding my towels and reusable masks to have lingering odour despite using washer cleaning tabs. I'm going to try it out for the convenience. Thanks OP!
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
16852 posts
32973 upvotes
Scarborough
turtlepower11 wrote: I think it's a pretty good price for 1L of rinse-aid if you are used to using fabric softener. I've also been finding my towels and reusable masks to have lingering odour despite using washer cleaning tabs. I'm going to try it out for the convenience. Thanks OP!
I've been experiencing the same thing with some of my bath towels and wonder if this will help with that. For $9 I figure it's worth a try.
RFD Staff - Have a question? Send me a PM
[Forum Rules] [Deal Alerts]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 4, 2004
9942 posts
2699 upvotes
Montreal
Leverage wrote: This is just Lysol trying to scare people into a new product category/sales - laundry soap is completely effective at disinfecting COVID soiled articles. This product is NOT necessary and is a scummy move by Lysol.
Umm...this product has been sold on Amazon since 2017. It's right there on the page.
Date first available at Amazon.ca: June 8 2017

It isn't a product that just came out to scare people into buying it because of you know what...
Deal Addict
May 2, 2007
1409 posts
642 upvotes
Toronto
i have been using this for a bit whenever i do a kitchen/hand/doggy towel load. Dont feel its really necessary and i will likely not rebuy after i am out. I do like the scent though as my laundry machine automatically measures the amount of detergent to use, the my laundry doesnt come out smelling as nice as before...but again i am sure its clean enough
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2004
6802 posts
2480 upvotes
I have used this before covid, though I think it's probably a waste of money and unnecessary.
Dec 20, 2018
746 posts
1136 upvotes
COVID is not a bacterium. It is a virus. Antibacterial stuff works against bacteria, not viruses. A virus is not alive in the same sense as you, I, or a bacterium is alive.

Secondary bacterial infections happen, but this product will not be helpful for those.
Outlaw ellipses and apostrophes.
Deal Guru
Oct 21, 2015
12032 posts
108850 upvotes
Ontario
baz5 wrote: I have used this before covid, though I think it's probably a waste of money and unnecessary.
anthony9 wrote: COVID is not a bacterium. It is a virus. Antibacterial stuff works against bacteria, not viruses. A virus is not alive in the same sense as you, I, or a bacterium is alive.

Secondary bacterial infections happen, but this product will not be helpful for those.
You don't need to use everything on Covid19. this can kill odor bacteria so you don't have to use fabric softener. Many people with sensitive skin are allergic to fabric softener. Makes them itchy and have red rashes.
if a product makes people feel safer, it's still worth it. Less stress for them means a stronger immune system and can prevent them from getting sick.
Costco West: BC, AB, SK & MB
Costco East: ON, Québec , NB, NS & PEI
Deal Fanatic
May 16, 2011
5195 posts
7605 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
But what if you wash all your clothes in cold water, and don't use the hot air dryer setting?

Do I need this then?
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2013
2129 posts
14765 upvotes
yuprules wrote: Umm...this product has been sold on Amazon since 2017. It's right there on the page.
Date first available at Amazon.ca: June 8 2017
It isn't a product that just came out to scare people into buying it because of you know what...
Where did I say it was? I saw it years ago and it was a scummy move then. OP was the one that specifically mentioned COVID and I was addressing that clearly, but COVID aside the product is still useless.
Thatdealguy wrote: You don't need to use everything on Covid19. this can kill odor bacteria so you don't have to use fabric softener. Many people with sensitive skin are allergic to fabric softener. Makes them itchy and have red rashes.
if a product makes people feel safer, it's still worth it. Less stress for them means a stronger immune system and can prevent them from getting sick.
You've described a placebo effect - if people are really that extremely delusional then go ahead and spend the $8.99, I don't care. I'm on a forum for savings and this product is snake oil.
Dec 13, 2012
831 posts
584 upvotes
TORONTO
Thanks OP. Been using these way before Covid and it was the only thing I found that was effective at removing old musty smells from my towels.
Nov 3, 2005
492 posts
751 upvotes
Toronto
The more antibacterial products we use, the more likely superbugs will appear...
Mar 21, 2013
441 posts
363 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I usually just use white vinegar with my towels and it does the same thing, but that's not a bad price to at least try it out. Smelly towels suck ass.
Deal Guru
Jul 8, 2009
12190 posts
6024 upvotes
Interesting.Dont think its needed just like snake oil products.
ING Direct since the beginning! Tangerine to the end!
Public Mobile user! Fido User!
EQ BANK!! SIMPLii !! Tangerine!!
Buy first think later!
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33251 posts
15103 upvotes
turtlepower11 wrote: I think it's a pretty good price for 1L of rinse-aid if you are used to using fabric softener. I've also been finding my towels and reusable masks to have lingering odour despite using washer cleaning tabs. I'm going to try it out for the convenience. Thanks OP!
Just a tip: If you have a front-loading machine, do NOT close the door when the machine is not in use--leave it wide open unless it's actually washing clothes. This will avoid a lot of the mildew/odours that develop in machines and it will require you to do less frequent bleach cycles (or cleaning tabs but I think bleach is better) than you normally would. If you have kids or something you don't want jumping in the machine for fun/curiosity, better to put a lock on the laundry room door if possible. If you don't have an HE/front-loader then not sure what the problem could be--might need a manual cleaning of the machine's filter, if possible.
Jan 25, 2010
274 posts
336 upvotes
Winnipeg
ES_Revenge wrote: Just a tip: If you have a front-loading machine, do NOT close the door when the machine is not in use--leave it wide open unless it's actually washing clothes. This will avoid a lot of the mildew/odours that develop in machines and it will require you to do less frequent bleach cycles (or cleaning tabs but I think bleach is better) than you normally would. If you have kids or something you don't want jumping in the machine for fun/curiosity, better to put a lock on the laundry room door if possible. If you don't have an HE/front-loader then not sure what the problem could be--might need a manual cleaning of the machine's filter, if possible.
I agree, who ever designed the front loads should have taken this into account, unfortunately the door on mine wouldn't stay slightly open so I started looking for other solutions. One I found was putting a fan over then vent on the back. Now there are commercially available options, https://washerfan.com ($100 crazy expensive) , but simply taking a old computer fan and some double sided tape in my case worked just fine. There is another post here http://kevinmichaelcoy.com/blog/2017/08 ... -fan-hack/ describing what can be done.
Feb 12, 2017
149 posts
185 upvotes
Canadian Tire sells this for $12 regular price, it could be cheaper when on sale.

Deal Guru
Oct 21, 2015
12032 posts
108850 upvotes
Ontario
Leverage wrote: Where did I say it was? I saw it years ago and it was a scummy move then. OP was the one that specifically mentioned COVID and I was addressing that clearly, but COVID aside the product is still useless.
You've described a placebo effect - if people are really that extremely delusional then go ahead and spend the $8.99, I don't care. I'm on a forum for savings and this product is snake oil.
blazed16 wrote: Interesting.Don't think it's needed just like snake oil products.
Not sure what kind of snake oils you are referring to but there are some good effects from snake/snake oils.
It is one of the main ingredients to make you healthier in Chinese medicine.
Costco West: BC, AB, SK & MB
Costco East: ON, Québec , NB, NS & PEI

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)