[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 31, 2007
5061 posts
1636 upvotes
Richmond Hill

[Amazon.ca] Lysol Laundry Disinfectant - Crisp Linen 30% off 1.2L/90oz

Lysol Laundry Disinfectant - Crisp Linen 1.2L 30% off @ $6.99
Also qualifies for Buy 5 get 5% off. But looks like limit of 4 so you'll need a filler if you want.
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0BFG5P7LJ

There's the 2.7L(90oz) larger version also 11% off @ $13.97
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0BFG52QG6
(courtesy @TimBitz)

Both CCC's ATL (or close to).
Last edited by enwhyRFD on Jan 25th, 2023 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Buy now, think later. This is the way."
25 replies
Feb 7, 2010
143 posts
76 upvotes
Toronto
Are you supposed to put this in the Bleach compartment? Thanks.
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2011
1113 posts
991 upvotes
YYZ
reyoasian wrote: Are you supposed to put this in the Bleach compartment? Thanks.
I add it to my fabric softener compartment as a final rinse. It's not intended to be mixed with laundry detergent, or anything like that. Lysol describes it that was as well: https://www.lysol.com/products/laundry-sanitizers

I don't bother letting it sit for 16 minutes, I sortof think it's a gimmicky thing...
Happy Amex / Brim / EQ / Rakuten Canada / Rakuten US / Simplii / Tangerine Customer
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 31, 2007
5061 posts
1636 upvotes
Richmond Hill
reyoasian wrote: Are you supposed to put this in the Bleach compartment? Thanks.
Lucie80 wrote: Yes
No. Fabric Softener compartment.

According to Lysol:
https://www.lysol.com/products/laundry- ... ld%20water.
For standard machines:

Add 2 capfuls each filled to line 1 of the dosing cup to the fabric softener compartment or directly to your rinse cycle wash.

For HE machines:

Add 2 capfuls each filled to line 2 of the dosing cup to the fabric softener compartment or directly to your rinse cycle wash.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 31, 2007
5061 posts
1636 upvotes
Richmond Hill
TimBitz wrote: The 2.7L (90oz) size is better cost per volume at $13.97
LYSOL Laundry Disinfectant - Crisp Linen 2.7 L
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0BFG52QG6

Different link than OP's
You're right, nice find thanks! The one I originally found was 2pack, but still works out to be $18 per bottle, vs yours at $13.96. Updated OP.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2016
1098 posts
1493 upvotes
Grande Prairie, AB
What's the use case for this stuff?
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19883 posts
2645 upvotes
seagull1987 wrote: What's the use case for this stuff?
The main use case is as a cash grab based on fearmongering over a non-issue.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Dec 27, 2010
53 posts
12 upvotes
I use it to wash clothing and bedding when we are sick so it lasts me a long time.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 31, 2007
5061 posts
1636 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Both my kids are sick, and I'm hoping this just reduces the spread so that the entire household doesn't get it (first time buying, maybe there are other RFDers that have seen positive results).

I won't be using this regularly. Just when multiple household members are sick, to reduce spread. If the lysol claims are accurate, then hopefully it kills the surface bacteria better. If not, then I guess it's just like any other disinfectant placebo like @brunes said lol.
Jul 14, 2009
594 posts
1102 upvotes
GTA
It helps with the wet towel or stinky gym smell in our laundry. Just using vinegar was not enough, but bleach would ruin the colours.
Aug 6, 2013
67 posts
121 upvotes
Delta
enwhyRFD wrote: Both my kids are sick, and I'm hoping this just reduces the spread so that the entire household doesn't get it (first time buying, maybe there are other RFDers that have seen positive results).

I won't be using this regularly. Just when multiple household members are sick, to reduce spread. If the lysol claims are accurate, then hopefully it kills the surface bacteria better. If not, then I guess it's just like any other disinfectant placebo like @brunes said lol.
I'd assume that if you did a wash cycle on hot with appropriate soap, it's probably going to disinfect the load fairly thoroughly anyway. But peace of mind is worth something anyway.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 31, 2007
5061 posts
1636 upvotes
Richmond Hill
JustinW446 wrote: I'd assume that if you did a wash cycle on hot with appropriate soap, it's probably going to disinfect the load fairly thoroughly anyway. But peace of mind is worth something anyway.
Pretty much.
Mar 21, 2009
249 posts
94 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
Major problem of this disinfectant is the 15 minutes wait. I believe it needs to sit with the laundry for 15mins in order to kill the bacterias, I have tried many times without pasuing and it would not get rid of the smell from my bath towels.

If I pause my machine at the last step of rinse cycle for more than 5 minutes, it would shutoff and I lost the "last position" and would need to do a quick wash again to rinse it off.
It is either that or I totally forgot to pause the machine at all. You also have to figure out when does the machine fill the softener compartment so that you won't pause it too early or too late (it rinses multiple times and drain multiple times).
My machine is whirlpool front load just a FYI.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2004
1337 posts
756 upvotes
Montreal
enwhyRFD wrote: Both my kids are sick, and I'm hoping this just reduces the spread so that the entire household doesn't get it (first time buying, maybe there are other RFDers that have seen positive results).

I have bad news for you this is totally useless for anything. Most pathogens are airborne or on surfaces like door handles/sofas/chairs/tables. Just living in the same environment will cause contamination to occur.

Washing clothes has enough effect, this is not necessary just like washing your hands is enough. If the placebo effect makes you feel better than by all means.

From the CDC on the flu for example:

Person to Person
People with flu can spread it to others. Most experts think that flu viruses spread mainly by droplets made when people with flu cough, sneeze, or talk. These droplets can land in the mouths or noses of people who are nearby (usually within about 6 feet away) or possibly be inhaled into the lungs. Less often, a person might get flu by touching a surface or object that has flu virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 31, 2007
5061 posts
1636 upvotes
Richmond Hill
klown wrote: I have bad news for you this is totally useless for anything. Most pathogens are airborne or on surfaces like door handles/sofas/chairs/tables. Just living in the same environment will cause contamination to occur.

Washing clothes has enough effect, this is not necessary just like washing your hands is enough. If the placebo effect makes you feel better than by all means.

From the CDC on the flu for example:

Person to Person
People with flu can spread it to others. Most experts think that flu viruses spread mainly by droplets made when people with flu cough, sneeze, or talk. These droplets can land in the mouths or noses of people who are nearby (usually within about 6 feet away) or possibly be inhaled into the lungs. Less often, a person might get flu by touching a surface or object that has flu virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes.
From CDC:
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resour ... ssels.html
Laundry can be managed with existing procedures. Although influenza viruses can persist on porous materials, the transfer of these viruses from sheets, bedding, and clothing is not as efficient a process compared to that involving a nonporous surface.
Handle soiled clothing and linens during collection with a minimum amount of agitation.
Custodial workers and laundry personnel should follow established facility safety procedures (minimum recommendation is for glove use) when handling soiled linens.
Hand washing or hand hygiene should be done after sorting laundry and adding the clothing and linens to the washer.
Use detergents, laundry additives, and appropriate water temperature as per routine laundry procedures. Follow manufacturer instructions for detergent and bleach use.
Use a temperature setting for drying clothes and linens appropriate for the fabrics in the load.
So you're right, I would interpret CDC's statement as the primary infectious channel is through a non-porous surface, but there's some % than it can be contagious through porous surfaces like clothing.

Since there's some chance the flu or whatever bacteria can spread through laundry (clothes, bedding), personally I'd try to use something easy to bring it close to 0% (i.e. adding the disinfectant couldn't hurt).

Because both my kids are sick, I don't want both parents to be in the same boat simply because we need to be able to take care of them.

In any case, if someone is wanting to get the disinfectant, the 30% off is a good deal.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
2463 posts
1439 upvotes
Toronto
TimBitz wrote: It helps with the wet towel or stinky gym smell in our laundry. Just using vinegar was not enough, but bleach would ruin the colours.
You can run a hot wash cycle with bleach and no clothes to disinfect the drum. Should prevent the washer from causing any musty smell if you do it periodically.
Sep 9, 2020
37 posts
39 upvotes
Oshawa
Thanks for sharing OP I grabbed one of the larger ones.