Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] Making Moral Judgments: Psychological Perspectives on Morality, Et... free on kindle

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 13th, 2020 11:39 pm
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
15437 posts
16652 upvotes
If you're looking for a digestible guide to an ethical functional life as a young man (more for the 20-somethings out there), then:

Jordan Peterson's 12 Rules for Life is a good start.

https://www.amazon.ca/12-Rules-Life-Ant ... 01FPGY5T0/

Free with Audible trial.

If you set aside the political figure, the advise within this text is sound. The greatest criticism of the book might be that it seems like common sense, but common sense is not terribly common.

Side note: The book has a 4.7 / 5.0 with 83% 5-Stars, but targeted vote manipulation has pushed an odious review right to the top. Keep an open mind, as I say, the most salient criticism from older adults is that this advice is obvious in parts.
Last edited by redflagdealsguy on Sep 13th, 2020 9:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jun 18, 2016
393 posts
1098 upvotes
Noobzilla wrote: That could be the author's trick. It's called "Making Moral Judgments", given away for free. You'll read it, then feel immoral about getting it for free, then pay $148 for the hardcover.
If I end up wanting the hardcover I will just “borrow” it from my local library and not bring it back.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
16907 posts
6095 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: If you're looking for a digestible guide to an ethical functional life as a young man (more for the 20-somethings out there), then:

https://www.amazon.ca/12-Rules-Life-Ant ... 01FPGY5T0/

Free with Audible trial.

If you set aside the political figure, the advise within this text is sound. The greatest criticism of the book might be that it seems like common sense, but common sense is not terribly common.

Side note: The book has a 4.7 / 5.0 with 83% 5-Stars, but targeted vote manipulation has pushed an odious review right to the top. Keep an open mind, as I say, the most salient criticism from older adults is that this advice is obvious in parts.
Next you can adopt the all beef diet he promotes and pretend the human body needs no other nutrients.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburders eat people
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
15437 posts
16652 upvotes
Quentin5 wrote: Next you can adopt the all beef diet he promotes and pretend the human body needs no other nutrients.
Separate the man from the message. He's a strange one, yes.

His target audience is 20-something men who are 'lost', most of us are 30-something or older men, already established and oriented in our lives. If you require proof in my case, I'll PM you my dad bod.
Aug 23, 2019
439 posts
322 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: If you're looking for a digestible guide to an ethical functional life as a young man (more for the 20-somethings out there), then:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/jordan-p ... -1.5456939

Yea what a great role model for this Joe rogan subs generation. I mean this dude went through a Russian detox treatment and is probably immortal by now. Face With Rolling Eyes
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
16907 posts
6095 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: Separate the man from the message. He's a strange one, yes.

His target audience is 20-something men who are 'lost', most of us are 30-something or older men, already established and oriented in our lives. If you require proof in my case, I'll PM you my dad bod.
His "message" is aligned with very right wing "views". Not having read the book this thread is about i cannot say with certainty but if it is about actual morality its quite the opposite of Peterson.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
15437 posts
16652 upvotes
Zarkey wrote: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/jordan-p ... -1.5456939

Yea what a great role model for this Joe rogan subs generation. I mean this dude went through a Russian detox treatment and is probably immortal by now. Face With Rolling Eyes
He's naturally depressive, and used substances to ease his physical and mental pains. He was a heavy drinker in his youth as well. His personal ills are his own. Funny how this is exactly the thing I meant to avoid here.
Quentin5 wrote: His "message" is aligned with very right wing "views". Not having read the book this thread is about i cannot say with certainty but if it is about actual morality its quite the opposite of Peterson.
Yeah, he's aligned himself with right wing views, some quack dietary advice, and a love for Rogan.

He took great pains to avoid virtually any of that in this book though. There's no way you're getting a 4.7 / 5.0 from Amazon readers without being very evenhanded and milquetoast in your approach, which he was in this book.

If you ignore everything surrounding the man, and just read this book, I think you'll see what I'm saying. It's a boring read for someone like myself, because it's old hat advice and doesn't go far enough, but it's good for most of the population.

I would toss this book at a wayward nephew or cousin, certainly.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
16907 posts
6095 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: Yeah, he's aligned himself with right wing views, some quack dietary advice, and a love for Rogan.
When you start with a "reasonable" background then move on to your ultimate message you can enlist the vulnerable and invent plausible deniability.
Moral judgements also means looking at the entire message and not pretending that those who are not moral mean well or do not have an ultimate immoral multi step objective. I will guess this may be covered in this book.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
15437 posts
16652 upvotes
Quentin5 wrote: When you start with a "reasonable" background then move on to your ultimate message you can enlist the vulnerable and invent plausible deniability.
Moral judgements also means looking at the entire message and not pretending that those who are not moral mean well or do not have an ultimate immoral multi step objective. I will guess this may be covered in this book.
Many people have dismantled this book looking for odious undertones. I can comfortably say it's bereft of secret marching orders for the brown shirts.

The most common criticisms include:
(1) Why preach common sense when people should just know this? it's obvious.
Counter: Many people don't know, some have poor upbringings, live sheltered lives, and start life poorly adapted to meet day-to-day challenges.

(2) Various academic criticisms from a philosophical and ethical bent (i.e. non-sciences).
Counter: Philosophy and ethics don't require, nor do they necessarily, flow to consensus. Criticism abounds, but this text is an applied guide to life based in part on clinical research, and Jordan's own clinical experience. Ethics and morality certainly play a part in that, but the applied morality circles around contributions to a 'good life'.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
16907 posts
6095 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: Many people have dismantled this book looking for odious undertones. I can comfortably say it's bereft of secret marching orders for the brown shirts.
Notice what i said about plausible deniability, it appears to have succeeded.

"Many people are saying". A common rhetorical device to disguise ultimate motives or add credibility.
Morality is not about convincing ourselves of what is convenient or feeds immoral ends.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
15437 posts
16652 upvotes
Quentin5 wrote: Notice what i said about plausible deniability, it appears to have succeeded.

"Many people are saying". A common rhetorical device to disguise ultimate motives or add credibility.
Morality is not about convincing ourselves of what is convenient or feeds immoral ends.
Indeed. I can't comfortably assuage your concerns. More research and/or a reading of the text is ultimately required, whether this is worth your time is up to you.

Use multiple search engines for your online research: Google, Bing, DuckDuckGo, Startpage, etc.
Dec 23, 2019
31 posts
26 upvotes
Hobbiton, Whiterun H…
Anything "morality" is going to be subjective, if it's free and you like reading books who cares, just read it. If you don't like it, pan it, but why bash it before you read it?

People get so reflexive and wound up tight about the pettiest stuff.
Apr 1, 2015
764 posts
434 upvotes
Scxm Free Zone
Kind of expensive if you want a physical book yes?

I'll read first. Before that I'll refrain from any judgement.
Zoomer Wireless happy new customer:
800 mins + 5G LTE data for $36 + $100 new activation credit + $50 credit

Do your part to end the monopoly. Every little bit helps.
Jan 13, 2009
695 posts
262 upvotes
I see it's missing on libgen... Maybe someone can fix that
Jan 13, 2009
695 posts
262 upvotes
ReanuKeeves wrote: Anything "morality" is going to be subjective
How about you saying that it's subjective, is that also subjective?