Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] Making Moral Judgments: Psychological Perspectives on Morality, Et... free on kindle

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 13th, 2020 11:39 pm
Sr. Member
User avatar
Apr 1, 2015
763 posts
434 upvotes
Scxm Free Zone
elfion wrote: How about you saying that it's subjective, is that also subjective?
That should do too lol

My opinion is, no matter how things would changge, there is always some common moral values that are generally accepted by the society (is that a cliche?)
Zoomer Wireless happy new customer:
800 mins + 5G LTE data for $36 + $100 new activation credit + $50 credit

Do your part to end the monopoly. Every little bit helps.
Member
Nov 20, 2017
429 posts
627 upvotes
Zarkey wrote:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/jordan-p ... -1.5456939

Yea what a great role model for this Joe rogan subs generation. I mean this dude went through a Russian detox treatment and is probably immortal by now. Face With Rolling Eyes
A desperate family trying another solution somewhere else after all the failed ones by NA doctors isn't a bad thing or immoral.
Sr. Member
Oct 17, 2012
973 posts
774 upvotes
Vancouver
CubieJ wrote: I think some people down vote free eBooks because it can be a bit of a scam: offer the book for free so people "buy" it and give positive reviews, so when the price goes back up, others are more likely to buy it (since it has lots of sales and reviews).

Or it can be a way for less legitimate authors to get people to read their sketchy opinions.

Not sure if either is the case here because I don't care enough to research, but that might be why some people are downvoting something "free".
Nailed it. Oftentimes, free ebooks are free trash. (not saying this book in particular, I have no idea about it, don't @ me Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Cold Sweat)
Member
User avatar
Aug 23, 2019
439 posts
322 upvotes
prodacc wrote: A desperate family trying another solution somewhere else after all the failed ones by NA doctors isn't a bad thing or immoral.
It's mostly about his perspective towards groups of people who DON'T identify with this BRAND of ideas or his followers that are into them. Seems a little amusing/ironic if not hypocritical to me. So say for years I made millions preaching a certain way (clean your room, do your laundry) while battling personal demons or issues (unsuccessfully), and also rejecting anything that's not aligned with his ambiguous religious/conservative morals leaving little or no room for reconciliation/understanding/middle ground. I wouldn't want/expect anyone to take what i say in a serious manner. The mans a mess for sure not just with the addictions/illnesses but his thought process esp the politics/social commentary.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
15429 posts
16628 upvotes
Zarkey wrote: It's mostly about his perspective towards groups of people who DON'T identify with this BRAND of ideas or his followers that are into them. Seems a little amusing/ironic if not hypocritical to me. So say for years I made millions preaching a certain way (clean your room, do your laundry) while battling personal demons or issues (unsuccessfully), and also rejecting anything that's not aligned with his ambiguous religious/conservative morals leaving little or no room for reconciliation/understanding/middle ground. I wouldn't want/expect anyone to take what i say in a serious manner. The mans a mess for sure not just with the addictions/illnesses but his thought process esp the politics/social commentary.
This is breaching into heavily off-topic content, a natural tendency here, but one to avoid.

Here's the summary:
- JP suffers from clinical mental health issues (not fully disclosed) and family health issues
- JP is a practicing clinician with a client pool
- JP wrote a book based on his clinical experience and reputable clinical research
- JP's book takes the 'is' of clinical research and practice, and provides an 'ought' in the form of applied morality and prescriptions for a 'good life
- JP's prescriptions are so milquetoast and uncontroversial that they're accepted to the point of criticism by some over their supposed 'obviousness'

I have no opposing view to provide you, your political criticisms can have their hearing in 'Off Topic'.

I've suggested JP's 12 Rules book simply because it's a good book with widely-consumable applied morality and prescriptions for a 'good life'.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 8, 2014
16891 posts
6092 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: I've suggested JP's 12 Rules book simply because it's a good book with widely-consumable applied morality and prescriptions for a 'good life'.
A "good life" sold by someone who espouses far right wing talking points then denies that is what he is doing. Gaslighting is obviously up his alley (and the far right) and your post shows that it is working great.
Sophistry is the enemy of morality.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburders eat people
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
2293 posts
520 upvotes
Quentin5 wrote: His "message" is aligned with very right wing "views". Not having read the book this thread is about i cannot say with certainty but if it is about actual morality its quite the opposite of Peterson.
Imagine lecturing others about Peterson's morality without having read the book. You don't even know what he believes. He isn't "selling" anything but personal responsibility, which he doesn't charge for. At least be informed if you're going to be so offended as to slander it - whats the value of your opinion when you dont know anything about the book or what it espouses? What makes it "right wing" and why is it bad?
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 8, 2014
16891 posts
6092 upvotes
spiralspirit wrote: Imagine lecturing others about Peterson's morality without having read the book. You don't even know what he believes. He isn't "selling" anything but personal responsibility, which he doesn't charge for. At least be informed if you're going to be so offended as to slander it - whats the value of your opinion when you dont know anything about the book or what it espouses?
Do you really think his views are not found on Google?
What makes it "right wing" and why is it bad?
Playing this game of going in circles sowing FUD is designed to waste my time and pretend what he has written is kosher.
I do hope the Moral Judgements book covers sophistry.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburders eat people
Member
User avatar
Aug 23, 2019
439 posts
322 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: This is breaching into heavily off-topic content, a natural tendency here, but one to avoid.


- JP's prescriptions are so milquetoast and uncontroversial that they're accepted to the point of criticism by some over their supposed 'obviousness'
Not off topic at all.

Again If they're that obvious/easy to follow then they should be working, but anyone not dishonest would see that they're not working for him. So they're either flawed or he's lying. Logic 101.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
2293 posts
520 upvotes
Quentin5 wrote: Do you really think his views are not found on Google?
Google is a search engine. Whose opinion did you swallow and are now arguing as if you're an expert?
Playing this game of going in circles sowing FUD is designed to waste my time
Thats how I would describe your argument from ignorance, does that make you a right winger? Is it wrong to be right wing, or does it show that you're intolerant?

Seriously, not sure who you think you're convincing but your bigotry is on display for everyone to see, on the basis of being informed by "google".
Zarkey wrote: Again If they're that obvious/easy to follow then they should be working, but anyone not dishonest would see that they're not working for him. So they're either flawed or he's lying. Logic 101.
Now you're an expert in other people's health and circumstances. The dude was dealing with stress you would cave under in a day from his wife's cancer to his own PR issues. Perhaps its that he's flawed, just like all human beings, but that doesn't make his advice bad. You presented a false tautology and labelled it logic 101. Ridiculous stuff.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 8, 2014
16891 posts
6092 upvotes
spiralspirit wrote: Google is a search engine. Whose opinion did you swallow and are now arguing as if you're an expert?
Do you seriously believe this divide and conquer technique will work?
Thats how I would describe your argument from ignorance, does that make you a right winger? Is it wrong to be right wing, or does it show that you're intolerant?

Seriously, not sure who you think you're convincing but your bigotry is on display for everyone to see, on the basis of being informed by "google".
This is known as projection.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburders eat people
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
2293 posts
520 upvotes
Quentin5 wrote: Do you seriously believe this distraction technique will work?


This is known as projection.
No, sir, this is responding to you directly while you claim to get knowledge from "google". That's not a distraction, its directly responding to what you've said, which was all from self admitted ignorance reinforce by "google".

You're the one doing the circular reasoning no source "google" arguments while decrying that as Peterson's right wing tactics. It's sad, and not persuasive.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
15429 posts
16628 upvotes
@spiralspirit, I appreciate your open-mindedness, but the topic of JP is an ideological trap of non-falsifiability tied to tribal affiliation for a cause.

Almost all of us have these traps, big and small, so this conversation will likely go nowhere. I repeat, we're almost all flawed when it comes to this mode of thought, given the right bait.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 27, 2014
4946 posts
2038 upvotes
CubieJ wrote: I think some people down vote free eBooks because it can be a bit of a scam: offer the book for free so people "buy" it and give positive reviews, so when the price goes back up, others are more likely to buy it (since it has lots of sales and reviews).

Or it can be a way for less legitimate authors to get people to read their sketchy opinions.

Not sure if either is the case here because I don't care enough to research, but that might be why some people are downvoting something "free".
hmmm no

People are downvoting because it's not a physical copy. People here would rather have a physical copy sitting on their bookshelf even if it never gets read. It's lije a trophy and you feel good knowing you got it for free.

Top