• Jun 16th, 2016 10:51 pm
Tags:
None
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 24, 2009
5703 posts
7133 upvotes
Good price for now and the discount is not real since Amazon.com is only selling US$16.99. I expect the price of this type of cable will continue to go down as the price is less than few years ago when I purchased it, so don't be disappointed if you miss this deal. Anyways, deal is dead.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
45478 posts
5991 upvotes
Richmond Hill
lcmt wrote: Good price for now and the discount is not real since Amazon.com is only selling US$16.99. I expect the price of this type of cable will continue to go down as the price is less than few years ago when I purchased it, so don't be disappointed if you miss this deal. Anyways, deal is dead.
What?

It's $13.63CAD... Don't understand.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
2647 posts
2239 upvotes
Montreal, QC
No offence to the OP, but how is this even a deal...?
Pretty much most local computer shops sell for similar price +- $2.

Even 123inkcartridge.ca (or primecables) has the 100ft CAT 5E for $11.49, and 100ft CAT 6 for $14.34. So for an extra $0.71, you get CAT 6 instead of CAT 5e.

In the Montreal area, many of the shops in Ville St. Laurent sell it for less than $10.. I picked up a few for a friend from encandepot.com (2 minutes from work), and they were $7 each for 100ft Cat 5e (OK, they had only Blue and Grey avaialbe - not black). :)

With CAT 6, and now CAT 7 cables, all the CAT 5/5e stuff is really dirt cheap.
Dec 8, 2012
758 posts
402 upvotes
Calgary
I believe you can ask any technician (look for a van with a ladder on top) to make the patch-cord you need in a minute for $10. I never understood why people buy those long patch-cords.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 24, 2009
5703 posts
7133 upvotes
I have similar opinion as members Emporium. If you need the cable right now or within short time, then the current price is good consider it is good quality one. However, if you don't need it right now, you should not buy it since there are lots of way to buy this type of cable around the same price and they are good quality. My rules is that "Never stock-up electronic and its accessories if you don't need it" since they will be outdated quickly as technology is emerging much faster nowadays. Once it is outdated, price will drop quickly. For this type of cable, there are still plenty of room to go down. The shipping cost is probably more expensive than the cost of manufacturing this cable.
Jon Lai wrote: What?

It's $13.63CAD... Don't understand.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
2647 posts
2239 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Dennisrfd wrote: I believe you can ask any technician (look for a van with a ladder on top) to make the patch-cord you need in a minute for $10. I never understood why people buy those long patch-cords.
Convenience. These long patch cords are easier to find in most computer shops, than bulk 1000ft boxes. I often buy them, clip off the ends, and then run them through the walls and stuff to do the install.

All patch cords 35ft or less, I just buy prefabbed. When you take into consideration the cost of the bulk cable, a pair of protective boots, and a pair of decent jacks, it is really NOT worth my time to sit and crimp/test a patch cable. At current labour rates, there is no way making your own patch cables (when you need more than 1 or 2) can be profitable.

Now when doing long runs, that is a different story. And in long runs, I rarely use crimped on ends (even if I buy the 100ft patch cables, I'll clip off the ends). I'll often install a keystone jack with either wall jack, or box, and then just use some 6ft patch cables at the ends.
Dec 8, 2012
758 posts
402 upvotes
Calgary
I'm no talking about profit, I mean workers can make it and pocket the money. For them it's just extra 10 bucks with no expenses
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
4768 posts
3276 upvotes
Wow 100 ft, now I just need to find a way to sneak in neighbours house and steal their internet.