Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] Manual Ice Shaver $21.26 amazon.ca

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 4th, 2020 5:47 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2017
2162 posts
4375 upvotes
SynGamer wrote: Anyone recommend an affordable bingsu machine?
was waiting for people to say bingsu 3 times before posting this, a few others on Amazon.ca sold by Japanese sellers
The ones with the adjustable blades seem to do the trick, however one issue with the electric versions is that the voltage of those appliances are likely different and you will need a transformer.

Last edited by kimwoobingsu on May 17th, 2020 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 12, 2005
517 posts
87 upvotes
Richmond
The fruit will be your topping. This will taste very similar to bingsoo.
Nov 15, 2013
843 posts
499 upvotes
Ottawa
kimwoobingsu wrote: was waiting for people to say bingsu 3 times before posting this
Watched it, tl;dr of the video is the Doshisha Electric Full-Scale ice Crusher Fluffy is what you want for bingsu. BUT, it's expensive here in Canada.

Heard great things about the Hawaiian shaved ice brand, but good luck finding one in Canada.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2017
2162 posts
4375 upvotes
SynGamer wrote: Watched it, tl;dr of the video is the Doshisha Electric Full-Scale ice Crusher Fluffy is what you want for bingsu. BUT, it's expensive here in Canada.

Heard great things about the Hawaiian shaved ice brand, but good luck finding one in Canada.
You know what? I actually think the one in the OP can be made serviceable for bingsu, was reading the description in the OP and it says the blade is adjustable.
Might be worth a try for $22. I'm in for one.
Nov 15, 2013
843 posts
499 upvotes
Ottawa
kimwoobingsu wrote: You know what? I actually think the one in the OP can be made serviceable for bingsu, was reading the description in the OP and it says the blade is adjustable.
Might be worth a try for $22. I'm in for one.
Link to the suggested mod? Not finding anything, but if it seems easy enough I'm in for $22.
[OP]
Feb 29, 2004
167 posts
80 upvotes
SynGamer wrote: Link to the suggested mod? Not finding anything, but if it seems easy enough I'm in for $22.

It's in the features and details of the product near the bottom

ADJUSTABLE SHAVING BLADE: You can produce ice shavings just like you want them

You should be able to moved the blade up and down to get a thinner shave or a thicker shave.
Nov 15, 2013
843 posts
499 upvotes
Ottawa
TifaLockhart wrote: It's in the features and details of the product near the bottom

You should be able to moved the blade up and down to get a thinner shave or a thicker shave.
Interesting. Ordered, we'll see what happens.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2006
5437 posts
508 upvotes
Toronto
TifaLockhart wrote: It's in the features and details of the product near the bottom

Yeah it's odd that she adjusted the blade on that one machine but not the other. So they are basically the same except the motor and likely the build quality.

Just found my old one. It is adjustable!
Nov 15, 2013
843 posts
499 upvotes
Ottawa
killoverme wrote: Yeah it's odd that she adjusted the blade on that one machine but not the other. So they are basically the same except the motor and likely the build quality.

Just found my old one. It is adjustable!
Do you feel it's adjustable enough for shaved milk you think?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2006
5437 posts
508 upvotes
Toronto
SynGamer wrote: Do you feel it's adjustable enough for shaved milk you think?
Freezing some ice now... so will update tomorrow. Don't have any milk though. Let see if I get some fluffy ice tomorrow.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2006
5437 posts
508 upvotes
Toronto
So it's still not very very fluffy. I didn't take too much time. I think if i lowered it half a mm or a mm then it might.

The more expensive model described in the video is easier to adjust. Takes like 2 seconds. The one with this machine will take a minute or two. It's basically 2 screws to loosen and move up or down and then tighten.
Nov 26, 2015
830 posts
571 upvotes
Ontario
SynGamer wrote: Anyone recommend an affordable bingsu machine? Was looking at this: https://www.amazon.ca/VIVOHOME-Electric ... 07B64XZ6Q/

I bought this one last month. I think it was on sale then and had a coupon available, no tax. I paid $68 for the silver one. It works fine for me. My family loves shaved ice so it is worth the extra for the machine one. We just use ice cubes made by our fridge. Takes about a couple of seconds instead of minutes.

I also have the manual one, but takes too much time. The manual one I have only have the metal teeth without the plastic ones, which made it tedious and long to shave.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2004
3218 posts
1237 upvotes
Vancouver
So we finally tried OP's machine tonight, and it was a hit! My wife went from "You spent $20 on that cheap piece of plastic?! That's the crap we're trying to get rid of! (referencing the purchase of an ill-fated candy floss machine)" to "OK, it's earned a spot in my cupboard".

We just used the regular ice, shaved some frozen strawberries and mango, and condensed milk. Yum!

We freezing milk next, and will get some fresh fruit. I'm thinking I'm digging the condensed milk over a syrup option. Thanks to OP and all the recipe suggestions on this thread! Looking forward to a long hot summer to get full use out of this thing.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2004
1341 posts
179 upvotes
Bishop8 wrote: So we finally tried OP's machine tonight, and it was a hit! My wife went from "You spent $20 on that cheap piece of plastic?! That's the crap we're trying to get rid of! (referencing the purchase of an ill-fated candy floss machine)" to "OK, it's earned a spot in my cupboard".

We just used the regular ice, shaved some frozen strawberries and mango, and condensed milk. Yum!

We freezing milk next, and will get some fresh fruit. I'm thinking I'm digging the condensed milk over a syrup option. Thanks to OP and all the recipe suggestions on this thread! Looking forward to a long hot summer to get full use out of this thing.
I just got my cheap piece of plastic crap today. Lol. Did you adjust the blade to get fluffy ice? I'm waiting for my ice to freeze but I've changed the blade to as thin as I can. I dont know of I should have tried the default height 1st on my 1st attempt