[Amazon.ca] Matfer Bourgeat Black Steel Round Frying Pan, 10 1/4"

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 3rd, 2017 9:30 am
[OP]
Mar 9, 2006
30 posts
48 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Matfer Bourgeat Black Steel Round Frying Pan, 10 1/4"

10 1/4" Matfer Bourgeat Carbon Steel pan. This is the model that was top rated by America's Test Kitchen. I was using a De Buyer 10" carbon steel pan previous and it totally put my Lodge Cast Irons into retirement. Carbon steel has all the great qualities of cast iron, except lighter and compared to modern cast iron finishes (rough), carbon steel comes super smooth. If you were thinking of getting a cast iron skillet and sanding it smooth, this is the better option. The Matfer Bourgeat has a welded handle so no rivets to trap food. I have the 12 7/8" version of this exact pan, and it's a pleasure to use. This 10 1/4" size is perfect for single servings.

This is the lowest price on Amazon according to:
camelchart-locale-caasin-b000kejqj2pricetypes-amazonforce-1zero-0w-725h-440desired-falselegend-1ilt-1tp-allfo-0lang-en2017-02-0200-35-08.png
FYI it doesn't come pre-seasoned but this video's method video's method is quick, easy, and works well! (No need for the time consuming cast iron style seasoning)
7 replies
Deal Addict
May 16, 2011
4512 posts
6121 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
Good deal. The rivetless design makes cleaning easier, but carbon steel definitely has a learning curve. But totally worth it.
Dec 22, 2003
973 posts
88 upvotes
Calgary
thanks. been waiting for this. the 12 5/8" is a little big for everyday needs
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2014
2869 posts
2199 upvotes
GTA Ontario
Shweet. This is is one of the pans I was looking at when buying my steel pans, and probaby would have got it if it was closer to the de Buyer in price at the time.
Thanks OP.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12839 posts
7565 upvotes
Markham
Interesting that it looks like a De Buyer pan
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2008
1155 posts
919 upvotes
Airdrie
Thanks currently experimenting with getting some real pans... just got a lodge cast iron, was looking for a carbon steel so got this along with a cooks standard stainless steel pan
[OP]
Mar 9, 2006
30 posts
48 upvotes
I have both the De Buyer and the Matfer. The De Buyer is thicker gauge steel, so theoretically it will be less prone to warping. But the Matfer is not thin by any means and in my opinion the weight savings from the Matfer over the De Buyer, and the rivet-less design give it a slight edge. Both are great pans an in practice work and season equally well. I would get whichever was the better deal (cheaper), and not look back.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2006
7558 posts
380 upvotes
Canada
Thanks,

I have a 12 inch lodge and it can be a pain to lug out all the time, this is perfect.
He died for me, I live for him