• Jun 12th, 2021 12:49 am
[OP]
Jul 11, 2009
672 posts
510 upvotes
Toronto

[Amazon.ca] Matfer Bourgeat Carbon Steel Skillet, 11 7/8-Inch, $ 69.5

Morning RFD friends.
Beautiful day yesterday, today and for the next little while. After subscribing to Youtube - Uncle Scott's Kitchen, I've been browsing amazon/wayfair/etc. for carbon steel skillets lately and saw this.

Checked CCC
Capture.JPG

and RFD search history: amazon-ca-matfer-bourgeat-black-steel-p ... r-2185405/ from 2018, and does seem to be lowest price ever.

While not a lava hot deal, just thought i'd share for yalls carbon steel enthusiasts and aficionados. Maybe some teflon trolls might chime in as well. Personally I'm on the fence on this, I may get one, but I might hold out and hope for the 12.75" or 14.25" price to randomly drop a few $ over the summer. Would go good with my teflon, stainless steel and cast iron skillets.

sorry my thread ain't as funny as one of the all time greats (Mauviel Copper 50% off)
23 replies
Aug 27, 2009
269 posts
115 upvotes
I have this Matfer and the size is perfect. It is easy to season and performs well. However, I can confirm with some of the comments about quality control, it will warp. It is fine with the gas stove but not the electric cooking surface.

If 11" is okay for you, you may consider this de buyer as well. The cooking surface is about 16% smaller but it is built like a tank. (Free shipping $99+)
https://www.cookstore.ca/de-buyer-11-ca ... 10-28.html
Jan 22, 2008
98 posts
20 upvotes
Edmonton
sinot wrote: I have this Matfer and the size is perfect. It is easy to season and performs well. However, I can confirm with some of the comments about quality control, it will warp. It is fine with the gas stove but not the electric cooking surface.

If 11" is okay for you, you may consider this de buyer as well. The cooking surface is about 16% smaller but it is built like a tank. (Free shipping $99+)
https://www.cookstore.ca/de-buyer-11-ca ... 10-28.html
I can confirm that this pan is great. But I'd also only recommend it if you have a gas stove. I don't think quality control is the issue, it's just that electric stoves and induction stoves heat up so unevenly that it'll cause thinner carbon steel pans to warp. Ironically, Uncle Scott's kitchen has a video about the warping of carbon steel pans on electric stoves.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2017
2826 posts
5595 upvotes
JimU wrote: Morning RFD friends.
Beautiful day yesterday, today and for the next little while. After subscribing to Youtube - Uncle Scott's Kitchen, I've been browsing amazon/wayfair/etc. for carbon steel skillets lately and saw this.

Checked CCC

Capture.JPG

and RFD search history: amazon-ca-matfer-bourgeat-black-steel-p ... r-2185405/ from 2018, and does seem to be lowest price ever.

While not a lava hot deal, just thought i'd share for yalls carbon steel enthusiasts and aficionados. Maybe some teflon trolls might chime in as well. Personally I'm on the fence on this, I may get one, but I might hold out and hope for the 12.75" or 14.25" price to randomly drop a few $ over the summer. Would go good with my teflon, stainless steel and cast iron skillets.

sorry my thread ain't as funny as one of the all time greats (Mauviel Copper 50% off)

bitteralex wrote: I can confirm that this pan is great. But I'd also only recommend it if you have a gas stove. I don't think quality control is the issue, it's just that electric stoves and induction stoves heat up so unevenly that it'll cause thinner carbon steel pans to warp. Ironically, Uncle Scott's kitchen has a video about the warping of carbon steel pans on electric stoves.
Lol, clicked this thread expecting someone to link/mention his videos.
Nov 9, 2014
106 posts
158 upvotes
Toronto, ON
mineral b is better and higher quality
Jun 17, 2003
690 posts
345 upvotes
Toronto
As a cast steel fan, I'm not sure what this brand's sweet spot is? To me, at one end you've got cheap Lodge cast steel: might warp if not careful, but has the sweet spot in weight (light enough that it's an advantage over cast iron), and - on sale - they're cheap. At the other end is DeBuyer Mineral B, which - as mentioned - are beautiful, if almost as heavy as cast iron. They hit approx this price point often enough. If I still have to worry about the Matfer warping, why am I paying DeBuyer (sale) prices instead of Lodge (sale) prices? Or am I missing something?
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2010
4460 posts
2342 upvotes
damojo wrote: mineral b is better and higher quality
lol

first, mineral b is a line of de buyer, not a brand. Second, matfer and de buyer are essentially same in terms of quality and performance - some lean towards matfer for weld (vs rivets on de buyer).

De Buyer Carbone Plus > Mineral B, typically, since the Mineral B has a coated handle that won't necessarily handle heat all that well.
andjules wrote: As a cast steel fan, I'm not sure what this brand's sweet spot is? To me, at one end you've got cheap Lodge cast steel: might warp if not careful, but has the sweet spot in weight (light enough that it's an advantage over cast iron), and - on sale - they're cheap. At the other end is DeBuyer Mineral B, which - as mentioned - are beautiful, if almost as heavy as cast iron. They hit approx this price point often enough. If I still have to worry about the Matfer warping, why am I paying DeBuyer (sale) prices instead of Lodge (sale) prices? Or am I missing something?
Matfer and De Buyer are on the same level.
Jun 17, 2003
690 posts
345 upvotes
Toronto
As a cast steel fan, I'm not sure what this brand's sweet spot is? To me, at one end you've got cheap lodge cast steel: might warp if not careful, but has the sweet spot in weight (light enough that it's an advantage over cast iron), and they're cheap. At the other end is DeBuyer, which - as mentioned - are beautiful, if almost as heavy as cast iron. They hit approx this price point often enough. If I still have to worry about the Matfer warping, why am I paying DeBuyer (sale) prices? Or am I missing something?
Aug 27, 2009
269 posts
115 upvotes
andjules wrote: As a cast steel fan, I'm not sure what this brand's sweet spot is? To me, at one end you've got cheap Lodge cast steel: might warp if not careful, but has the sweet spot in weight (light enough that it's an advantage over cast iron), and - on sale - they're cheap. At the other end is DeBuyer Mineral B, which - as mentioned - are beautiful, if almost as heavy as cast iron. They hit approx this price point often enough. If I still have to worry about the Matfer warping, why am I paying DeBuyer (sale) prices instead of Lodge (sale) prices? Or am I missing something?
Definitely agree with you on the quality of de Buyer.

I think Matfer serves well in the space of gas stove owners. For a de Buyer of similar size, actually bigger at 1.5", it will cost around $30 more. https://www.amazon.ca/Buyer-Mineral-Ele ... 757&sr=8-5
If we look at a Matfer with similar delivery time, it can be had at $57 + $7 import fee (the import one is sold by another seller). I have outside a Campchef gas stove so I took the chance to try this Matfer. At the time, I didn't know that it didn't work with electric stoves as kimwoobingsu mentioned so I hoped that it would be a quality control issue and I might get a good one.
Deal Addict
May 11, 2003
2620 posts
434 upvotes
I had two of these pans and both of them warped during seasoning. I have an induction stove. When I switched to a de Buyer, everything was fine. The de Buyer is slightly thicker, which is probably why it didn't warp.
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.
May 4, 2021
4 posts
1 upvote
I'm not a "carbon steel enthusiast" and I don't necessarily look at the seasoning process as a ritual of sorts, but I did buy a $20 pre-seasoned 12" Thermalloy pan from Costco and so far it's held up on my gas stove quite well. It was very easy to begin cooking with it right away, and additional layers of seasoning seem to have built up naturally over time. Recommended to anyone who doesn't necessarily want to pay $70+ for a frying pan and spend additional time and effort having to season it correctly.
Nov 9, 2014
106 posts
158 upvotes
Toronto, ON
hvc wrote: first, mineral b is a line of de buyer,
yes i am aware
hvc wrote: Matfer and De Buyer are on the same level.
lol no theyre not
hvc wrote: De Buyer Carbone Plus > Mineral B, typically, since the Mineral B has a coated handle that won't necessarily handle heat all that well.
welp looks like im cancelling my mineral b and getting a carbone, thanx
Last edited by damojo on Jun 11th, 2021 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 27, 2009
269 posts
115 upvotes
I found this previous thread. The 12.5 de Buyer was $66 last year!!

Actually, there is now an import one at $71.52 + $8.59 import fee (delivery Aug 11 estimated). Very tempting but many said it is heavy. The Matfer 11 7/8" is around 2 kg, still manageable for me.
Nov 9, 2014
106 posts
158 upvotes
Toronto, ON
the 71.52 is the mineral b i ordered but based on what hvc said, the carbone is better for my use as i tend to sear steak and put the pan into the oven to finish it off.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2010
4460 posts
2342 upvotes
damojo wrote: the 71.52 is the mineral b i ordered but based on what hvc said, the carbone is better for my use as i tend to sear steak and put the pan into the oven to finish it off.
It'll probably be fine in your oven, just depends how hot you get it.

Carbone is what a restaurant would use (to toss in the sally).. Mineral B is usually fine for home cooking. It just has the rubberized (silicon?) coating on the handle - not a deal breaker if you got a good price.

AFAIK, Matfer and DB are very similar in terms of quality and like I said, some even prefer Matfer for the welded handle (rivets suck..).
Nov 9, 2014
106 posts
158 upvotes
Toronto, ON
hvc wrote: It'll probably be fine in your oven, just depends how hot you get it.

Carbone is what a restaurant would use (to toss in the sally).. Mineral B is usually fine for home cooking. It just has the rubberized (silicon?) coating on the handle - not a deal breaker if you got a good price.

AFAIK, Matfer and DB are very similar in terms of quality and like I said, some even prefer Matfer for the welded handle (rivets suck..).
I originally wanted the matfer because its welded but heard bad things about their quality, debuyer seems like a safe bet
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2010
4460 posts
2342 upvotes
damojo wrote: I originally wanted the matfer because its welded but heard bad things about their quality, debuyer seems like a safe bet
you heard it.. yet you hit me with the "lol no they rnt". Classic. Get whatever is clever - you'll be fine either way.

Mineral B will be fine unless you're tossing it in a salamander or gas broil.
Aug 27, 2009
269 posts
115 upvotes
damojo wrote: the 71.52 is the mineral b i ordered but based on what hvc said, the carbone is better for my use as i tend to sear steak and put the pan into the oven to finish it off.
I looked at the cart and there is no HST. So $71.52 + $9.30 was all you paid? How long did it take to arrive? Did you use the free shipping?
Nov 20, 2008
348 posts
63 upvotes
I got the 12.5" mineral b (with helper handle) a few months back from nella (toronto) for $69.55+tax (thanks to another RFDer for flagging that). I had considered the matfer, since i have a smaller mineral b and wanted to compare them. The price for the 12.5" mineral b was too good so I went for it. I did a pretty simple stove-top seasoning (5 times?) using bacon fat. It's great! the rivets don't bother me, but i can see how you can keep a non-riveted pan "cleaner" on the outside/inside. another downside is my wife will never clean it... because it's too heavy. haha! I have a gas stove.
Feb 2, 2011
371 posts
207 upvotes
New Westminster
e-man wrote: I had two of these pans and both of them warped during seasoning. I have an induction stove. When I switched to a de Buyer, everything was fine. The de Buyer is slightly thicker, which is probably why it didn't warp.
I got the Ninja Foodi 30cm Premium, I tried it on the Ikea Tillreda induction and checked it with the FlirOne infra red camera(thx Rfd-empty my wallet) yes there is a temperature differential center vs edge of the pan ( you can chose 3 spots to measure at a time..

But I'd like to get a carbon for reverse searing, after souvide?
I would to do the reverse sear, outside on balcony of my condo induction vs gas stove I. Should I wait for a sale on Debuyer carbone....for the flexibility