Amazon.ca

Mega Construx Building Blocks, 1625 Piece 24.97$

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 19th, 2020 5:20 pm
19 replies
Nov 20, 2019
39 posts
111 upvotes
If you do buy this... just for the love of everything good in this world, don't mix it with genuine LEGO
Feb 2, 2018
256 posts
97 upvotes
8HzWhenIP wrote: If you do buy this... just for the love of everything good in this world, don't mix it with genuine LEGO
Why
Nov 20, 2019
39 posts
111 upvotes
Jumanji12 wrote: Why
Why? Let me put it this way...

Let's say you have a wallet full of cash. A nice man come along and mixes in a whole bunch of fake bills, and the only way you can tell the difference is that the fakes have "this is illegal tender" instead of "this is legal tender", in tiny font. And you now how to pay for everything in cash.

How would you feel about that?
Deal Guru
Jul 8, 2009
12075 posts
5965 upvotes
8HzWhenIP wrote: Why? Let me put it this way...

Let's say you have a wallet full of cash. A nice man come along and mixes in a whole bunch of fake bills, and the only way you can tell the difference is that the fakes have "this is illegal tender" instead of "this is legal tender", in tiny font. And you now how to pay for everything in cash.

Ahh ok.

Basically this stuff is not as good as lego.Still works but quality wont be the same.
ING Direct since the beginning! Tangerine to the end!
Public Mobile user! Fido User!
EQ BANK!! SIMPLii !! Tangerine!!
Buy first think later!
Nov 18, 2014
404 posts
474 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Megabloks really suck, but the Chinese brands are actually great (the only way to tell is that they don't have LEGO on the studs) and they cost a lot less than overpriced LEGO.
Apr 27, 2013
650 posts
1006 upvotes
Montreal
Mega Bloks got better with time. I have no problem mixing the two brands together. Lego is better but not perfect because I still end up with defects from time to time. Just get rid of the faulty blocks.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2003
1504 posts
414 upvotes
Woodbridge
8HzWhenIP wrote: Why? Let me put it this way...

I dont understand this analogy. Are you saying to not mix them up because you're going to sell the lego set later on and thus need to separate them? If I do buy this set, I really don't care. As long as they're compatible with lego, equal quality and dont break.

And who else saw "Construx" and thought it was the old school Construx from the 80s. Apparently, its now just a brand they slap on different toys.
Nov 20, 2019
39 posts
111 upvotes
To be fair, Mega Bloks nowadays are probably not as bad in quality as you would remember from yesteryear... those from a couple decades ago were truly horrendous.
I've tried my hands on the Chinese knock-offs and I was quite pleasantly surprised by their quality. I'd say they're around 85-90% of LEGO's quality... I could expect Mega Bloks to be around that level of quality too.

These are a good inexpensive alternative for kids who wouldn't care less if it's LEGO or Mega Bloks. If you're a parent looking to get your kids interested in building, go for it! Much better value for sure.
However... for any serious LEGO fan, nothing but LEGO will do (hence my original comment)
Nov 20, 2019
39 posts
111 upvotes
sterdeus wrote: I dont understand this analogy. Are you saying to not mix them up because you're going to sell the lego set later on and thus need to separate them? If I do buy this set, I really don't care. As long as they're compatible with lego, equal quality and dont break.

And who else saw "Construx" and thought it was the old school Construx from the 80s. Apparently, its now just a brand they slap on different toys.
I don't mix them because of personal preference. I don't plan on selling my LEGO, but I would definitely lose sleep if I knew I had Mega Bloks mixed in with my LEGO.
I'm not knocking on the quality or the value of the deal... buy it if it suits your needs! I'm sure stepping on a LEGO or Mega Blok will hurt just the same.

And I really do mean it in my analogy... the only way to tell these apart from LEGO would be to look for the missing LEGO logo and perhaps subtle differences in the colours.
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2013
1203 posts
505 upvotes
Chambly, QC
I would go for this brand for specific items, like the call of duty ones.
But just bricks?
I don’t know, maybe for a one and only built.
Or a gift for someone you don’t like.
Deal Guru
Oct 21, 2015
11850 posts
104548 upvotes
Ontario
8HzWhenIP wrote: If you do buy this... just for the love of everything good in this world, don't mix it with genuine LEGO
sterdeus wrote: I dont understand this analogy. Are you saying to not mix them up because you're going to sell the lego set later on and thus need to separate them? If I do buy this set, I really don't care. As long as they're compatible with lego, equal quality and dont break.

RobertRabbit wrote: I would go for this brand for specific items, like the call of duty ones.
But just bricks?
I don’t know, maybe for a one and only built.
Or a gift for someone you don’t like.
China's brand lego is the best. have you not seen the video? Their quality is almost similar to the real Lego brand.

However, many Chinese people that I know still buy Lego instead of their China brand. Not sure why but their quality is great and way cheaper than Lego
Costco West: BC, AB, SK & MB
Costco East: ON, Québec , NB, NS & PEI
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2003
1504 posts
414 upvotes
Woodbridge
Thatdealguy wrote: China's brand lego is the best. have you not seen the video? Their quality is almost similar to the real Lego brand.

However, many Chinese people that I know still buy Lego instead of their China brand. Not sure why but their quality is great and way cheaper than Lego
I've only seen a video on Lego vs Mega Construx (this). I'll check out the China brand. Where can I buy it? (sorry, don't mean to detract from this Mega Construx deal. Just want the best for my money).
Jun 28, 2004
490 posts
84 upvotes
Being a fan of these "Lego like" toys I do agree Lego is superior in quality to non-Lego brands. I've bought brands such as Mega and Dragon in the past and even though it works the fit and finish is not the same as Lego.

Some may call this nitpicking as each set is still usable on its own, but yah I would not mix them in a pile of genuine Lego either.
Apr 11, 2006
767 posts
690 upvotes
Richmond
Lego quality has been going downhill in recent years though. I've bought recent sets were the pieces wouldn't snap in as nicely. Also their printed pieces have very terrible QC. I like Mega Bloks/Construx for their unique pieces and themes. Personally I wouldn't mind mixing the newer (past 2 years) Mega Bloks pieces with Lego as they are on par with each other IMO. Just enjoy them all as consumers :)
Nov 26, 2014
220 posts
459 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Can anybody comment on the first review on Amazon.ca?

This one: "I received my order today and I'm VERY disappointed. It's 90% tiny oddly shaped little pieces with VERY few of the full-sized blocks. Because we're in isolation due to this pandemic I'll keep it and make do, but I DO NOT RECOMMEND this product."
Homer: "Potato man."
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28914 posts
14452 upvotes
sterdeus wrote: equal quality
Historically speaking (I'm not sure about now) Lego had some insane tolerances. They were built to exacting specs making them stick.
Megablocks and other brick brands definitely weren't.

Quality wise it wasn't even the same game. Lego won hands down.
But this was years ago. I have no idea how competitors have stepped up since then.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2009
1185 posts
341 upvotes
Burlington

Yeah I thought this was the old school Construx from the 80's that were maybe being remade for a new generation or something. I used to love building all kinds of things with the old Construx.