• Last Updated:
  • Oct 23rd, 2020 7:11 pm
[OP]
Feb 3, 2013
273 posts
235 upvotes
Victoria

[Amazon.ca] Men's Seiko 5 SNKK27 Automatic Blue Dial $87.23

Perusing through Amazons watch listings and this one popped up. If the style works for you, it seems like a decent price for a Seiko automatic.
67 replies
Nov 26, 2014
297 posts
484 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Based on CCC this is a meh deal for this particular watch.
May 2, 2017
826 posts
1484 upvotes
asbraich wrote: Based on CCC this is a meh deal for this particular watch.
careful, people don't like it being mentioned and would ask you for a time machine,
but yes I remember getting one for 65 (I have no time machine, please stop asking)

https://ca.***************.com/product/B004MAZN3I *blocked, attached image
Images
  • camelchart-locale-caasin-b004mazn3ipricetypes-amazonforce-1zero-0w-855h-513desired-falselegend-1ilt-1tp-allfo-0lang-en2020-09-2916_44_23.png
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2006
2908 posts
1585 upvotes
Pothole city
Problem with automatic watches is maintenance. At this price point, paying a 150$ maintenance is non sense.
How long can you enjoy the watch without maintenance and still keeps time?
Jun 25, 2005
594 posts
273 upvotes
I like the dial, probably would look good with a matching nato strap.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
1658 posts
1218 upvotes
GTA West
A 21 jewel self winding watch was quite a piece of precision high tech in the early 60's when I owned one and took it to a jeweller for regular cleaning and adjustment to stay on time.

But why would anyone bother today when decent $15 watches have Japanese quartz movements that keep time within 15 -30 seconds per month? If you want retro mechanical nostalgia, at least get a big fancy one with a window showing the gears.
Last edited by Dealmaker1945 on Sep 30th, 2020 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 30, 2017
455 posts
547 upvotes
GTA
typer100 wrote: Problem with automatic watches is maintenance. At this price point, paying a 150$ maintenance is non sense.
Seiko5 has 7s26, it is a low beat non hacking, non hand winding movement. They are very reliable, goes on for decades without a service.
They have an stated accuracy of -20 to +49 sec/day, but easy to regulate if you have a time grapher and some basic watch tools.
As for maintenance, you can get a movement in AliExpress/eBay for $40. When the watch does die eventually, you can pop in a new movement.
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
19434 posts
6521 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
I almost never wear my Seiko Monster because I can't be bothered keeping it accurate and worse, wound and on the correct time at all.
Almost always just wear something like my PRG-550 ProTrek / EcoDrive instead - don't have to worry about anything with those solar watches, zero. Kept one in a drawer for the last 8 months? Fine... as soon as it sees light again it goes right back to the correct time and is still pretty much charged.

It turned out that I am not the kind of person that the romanticisms of little steampunk gears and stuff in a watch appeals to enough to me to offset the very obvious downsides.
Last edited by BinaryJay on Sep 30th, 2020 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
May 30, 2010
1458 posts
890 upvotes
typer100 wrote: Problem with automatic watches is maintenance. At this price point, paying a 150$ maintenance is non sense.
7S26 movement is bullet proof, and can run for years with no maintenance. Seiko has perfected the manufacturing tolerances and mass production of this movement over the years. But this movement is old, it's non-winding and non-hacking. If you rotate watches, and this one runs out, you will be masturbating that watch to get it going before you wear it.

According to Calibercorner.com, the movement is discontinued as well:
https://calibercorner.com/seiko-caliber-7s26/
Nov 16, 2015
549 posts
1004 upvotes
Toronto, ON
BinaryJay wrote: I almost never wear my Seiko Monster because I can't be bothered keeping it accurate and worse, wound and on the correct time at all.
Almost always just wear something like my PRG-550 ProTrek / EcoDrive instead - don't have to worry about anything with those solar watches, zero. Kept one in a drawer for the last 8 months? Fine... as soon as it sees light again it goes right back to the correct time and is still pretty much charged.

It turned out that I am not the kind of person that the romanticisms of little steampunk gears and stuff in a watch appeals to enough to me to offset the very obvious downsides.
Lol. This was me as well.

I sold off most of my watches and kept a solar g shock (square) and a Apple Watch
Feb 24, 2018
341 posts
159 upvotes
It annoys me that in Canada, Seiko 5s cost less than their quartz models for the most part. It would help if they sold Pulsar or Alba watches in Canada (sub-brands with quartz movements) but those only seem to be available if you order online from the UK or Singapore or something.
Nov 4, 2008
469 posts
898 upvotes
Toronto
Not really feeling the look or the size after watching this review. Maybe it'll help some of you make a decision.

Apr 7, 2007
680 posts
196 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Are these made in Japan? If so, good deal. If in China, then meh..
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2004
3931 posts
1275 upvotes
Edmonton
I assume these are fairly heavy? I used to wear my Seiko Titanium kinetic daily, but working at home I keep forgetting to put it on. I have an older Tissot that seems like brick in comparison. I have a bunch of different Casio Pro Treks I alternate through as well, but dont find those overly heavy.
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
13910 posts
4418 upvotes
Toronto
U4IA wrote: I assume these are fairly heavy? I used to wear my Seiko Titanium kinetic daily, but working at home I keep forgetting to put it on. I have an older Tissot that seems like brick in comparison. I have a bunch of different Casio Pro Treks I alternate through as well, but dont find those overly heavy.
No, this is super light, the bracelet is very light and a bit flimsy feeling. Total weight is probably under 80g.

Tissot sports watches are much heavier (and more solidly built), depends what you want. Any watch will get much lighter if you move to leather or nato strip and ditch the metal bands.