Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] meross WiFi Smart Plug Mini - 3 pack - Alexa / Goole OK.

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 11th, 2018 10:27 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
3949 posts
1823 upvotes
Mississauga

[Amazon.ca] meross WiFi Smart Plug Mini - 3 pack - Alexa / Goole OK.

Great price for a pack of 3 minis for those who missed the WeMo / TP link.
29 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2003
1569 posts
168 upvotes
Downtown Toronto
cRaZyRaVr wrote: Great price for a pack of 3 minis for those who missed the WeMo / TP link.
Seems like a good price. I just hate mixing and matching different devices across different vendors because each requires their own software to pair/customize.
Thank goodness for IFTTT but this doesn't have support yet?
Nov 8, 2005
205 posts
78 upvotes
ChiGGz wrote: Seems like a good price. I just hate mixing and matching different devices across different vendors because each requires their own software to pair/customize.
As per product page:
"Compatible with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant. IFTTT, NEST and Samsung SmartThings will be supported soon."

For me, this makes it a no-go. For people who are interested in trying out automation without a big commitment, this is probably a great way to get into it.
Jan 30, 2016
159 posts
155 upvotes
Waterloo
ChiGGz wrote: Seems like a good price. I just hate mixing and matching different devices across different vendors because each requires their own software to pair/customize.
It doesn't really require you to use their own app much.
Yes, you still need the Meross app (very well written, ihmo) to pair, but then everything else from voice control to automated routines can be set within the Alexa app.
It is indeed pair and forget if you are worried about their apps.

As for the IFTTT part, I wouldn't say that's a deal breaker, these plugs already do exactly what they advertised, I wouldn't be mad when I see they are suggesting some future features, especially when they are making it clear in the first place.
Deal Guru
Jul 8, 2009
10770 posts
5072 upvotes
tp links been going sale sale often for 19,99 -24,99 depending on the plug so better off to get those that is a good name brand and works well.
Unless this has something tplink doesnt.
ING Direct since the beginning! Tangerine to the end!
Public Mobile user!
EQ BANK!
SIMPLii !!
Buy first think later!
Aug 31, 2010
106 posts
44 upvotes
Lightning deal now, the 3 pack for $57.79....so save another $10.
There's another thread back in Nov....lightning deal for $19.99 each, so it seems these devices go on sale from time to time...I'll pass on this deal and wait for the TP-Link since there has been a lot of good feedback. I already own the TP-Link switches, so I'd prefer to stick with just the Kasa app and have all my devices there.
Aug 31, 2010
106 posts
44 upvotes
Though, I believe these devices have the "Auto-off function after X minutes or hours every time you set them on." that TP-Link doesn't. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Apr 20, 2017
246 posts
328 upvotes
Montreal
arbalest23 wrote: Though, I believe these devices have the "Auto-off function after X minutes or hours every time you set them on." that TP-Link doesn't. Correct me if I'm wrong.
TP-Link has a timer too. (EDIT: Plus, you can add a timer to any plug via Stringify)
most things haven't worked out
Aug 31, 2010
106 posts
44 upvotes
contva wrote: TP-Link has a timer too. (EDIT: Plus, you can add a timer to any plug via Stringify)
Very nice. Wish I didn't miss the BB deal ($35 for 2).
Jan 30, 2016
159 posts
155 upvotes
Waterloo
contva wrote: TP-Link has a timer too. (EDIT: Plus, you can add a timer to any plug via Stringify)
Just to check, from TP-Link's website this timer seems to count only from what you set it on phone once.
Does it count itself everytime it is turned ON? Say, if I set 5 mins, does it turn off after 5 mins everytime I turned it on manually?

The meross feature is nice in such a way that it saves power from things people often forget to turn off after use.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2787 upvotes
Sandbo wrote: Just to check, from TP-Link's website this timer seems to count only from what you set it on phone once.
Does it count itself everytime it is turned ON? Say, if I set 5 mins, does it turn off after 5 mins everytime I turned it on manually?

The meross feature is nice in such a way that it saves power from things people often forget to turn off after use.
The TP-Link switch does not have the option to start an off-timer every time you turn it on manually, although obviously you could set up a remote command to start an off-timer at the same time as you turn it on.
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2010
1464 posts
310 upvotes
I will stay with tp-link. I missed the first round and bought when they appeared again. Got it now and setup is extremely easily with Kasa.
1x$36 Zoomer Plan with 2GB + Unlimited Call and Text
1x$45 Zoomer Plan with 4GB + Unlimited Call and Text
Apr 20, 2017
246 posts
328 upvotes
Montreal
Price dropped further to $47.99 on Amazon.

EDIT - Aaaaand it's back to 57.79.
most things haven't worked out
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2004
2761 posts
1754 upvotes
GVRD
I need something with SmartThings integration for heating up my Kombucha.
Nov 29, 2003
354 posts
91 upvotes
North York
aasoror wrote: None of the down-voters bothered even to reply saying why this is such a bad deal ... !!
The TP-Link HS-105 well-known brand name plug has been often on sale at 20 bucks each, with a historic low at 2 for 35. The latter is cheaper, and the former is only 3 dollars more expensive (and you don't have to buy in a pack of 3). There are other alternatives but that's the easiest to compare with.

So that's just the price. Throw in the questionable reviews and unknown brand name. I wouldn't pull the trigger.