Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] Messermeister Avanta 4-Piece Fine Edge Steak Knife Se - $49.42 (50% off)

• Last Updated:
  • May 27th, 2020 12:44 am
Feb 22, 2013
763 posts
607 upvotes
I cut my Waygu steaks with a butter knife. Just buy better cuts of meat and you won’t need these knives.
May 13, 2012
321 posts
208 upvotes
CALGARY
Looks like a great set, I will say though my favourite way to serve steak has been to cut all of the steak after cooking into strips and serving family style, unless it's tenderloins or ribeye.
May 19, 2003
340 posts
118 upvotes
When manufacturers promote a product using the term “German stainless steel”, go ahead and click that back button.
Jun 24, 2009
15 posts
11 upvotes
I am also wary of the same thing (btw, not just Chinese manufacturers doing that, see Haagen Daaz and Bulova)

However, I am now considering these knives as Serious Eats did rank them as a top knife! https://www.seriouseats.com/2019/08/the ... nives.html
Lexi wrote: Seems to be a good value, what turns me off is when German/Japanese soundings brands offer Chinese made product, while emphasizing German/ Japanese origin of steel, like you wouldn't notice where it is actually made.
Just my take, will wait for a good deal on German/Japanese made steak knives. Peace.
Sep 16, 2013
980 posts
502 upvotes
SW ON
whiteGSR wrote: I used the US version reviews with 327 reviews. The .CA on has 320 which is strange since it's supposed to combine "international" ones, so not sure why it's less
Amazon.ca has only 18 reviews and the US one - 254. I don't understand what you are talking about. Click on "All reviews".

And the top US reviews are "Disappointed" and "Extremely disappointed".
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2012
3143 posts
2594 upvotes
Toronto
the reviews of inconsistent quality and splitting of the handle worry me. so pass
[OP]
Jun 1, 2005
823 posts
188 upvotes
GVR
alpovs wrote: Amazon.ca has only 18 reviews and the US one - 254. I don't understand what you are talking about. Click on "All reviews".

And the top US reviews are "Disappointed" and "Extremely disappointed".
Talking about what you see at the very top of the product page, and also when you use the link for each respective fakespot site. 327 vs 320. Does that not show up on the top your screen???

As I said, they are supposed to consolidate multiple country ratings. I'm not talking about how many are only left individually by .CA or .COM customers.

As for "top" reviews being critical, of course they will be. Most people, including myself, only read the 1 and 2 star reviews. These aren't expensive knives so they aren't going to be the highest possible quality pf knives money can buy so YMMV

Some of the positive reviews state to the effect of "so what if the rivets are a couple of MM higher, look at the price and how sharp these are". If you want perfect knives, then you will have to spend more, a lot more. Hence why these are a good value buy and not marketed as high end knives
Last edited by whiteGSR on May 14th, 2020 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
1652 posts
898 upvotes
Vancouver
It's really tempting because apparently having a non-serrated sharp knife cuts the steak without ruining the texture.
But then I'd have to keep it extra sharp or else it's a waste. And if I'm out and about it's not like I can bring this around. And will my wife even care to have the sharpest knife on the block to cut her steak? What if she scrapes it against the plate?

How about I just get a japanese steak folding knife for myself:
https://houseofknives.ca/shun-higo-no-k ... fe-dm5900/
https://houseofknives.ca/kai-personal-f ... ife-57-00/

and then I realized that I typically cut my steaks into strips with my chef knife and place them on a plate the middle for guests to take while we have an assortment of other foods... so forget these (and the extra upkeep and storage and worry about cutting my perfectly steaks so i maintain the perfect mouth feel etc)
Jun 27, 2005
205 posts
11 upvotes
I came very close to buying them a while ago based on reviews that I read (not Amazon) and in the end bought these, which I am quite happy with:

Victorinox VIC-6.7903.6 Swiss Classic Sets 6-Piece Steak Set (5" Gaucho Straight) Black https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00J5J7VT0/ref ... VEbQ1TG8FR

They were priced a bit lower then.
Last edited by Bent on May 14th, 2020 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2008
2341 posts
836 upvotes
North York
Kind of weird to make it best overall when the third review finishes with this:
The one-piece steel is triple riveted into the handle. However, the unfinished rivets and tang expose sharp edge, which is not comfortable for holding. The handle needs more craftmanship.
[OP]
Jun 1, 2005
823 posts
188 upvotes
GVR
quazy wrote: Kind of weird to make it best overall when the third review finishes with this:
It's probably due to the price performance ratio. Not absolutely best of the best, but best overall given how cheap these are.

Note that these knives won because they only cost $60 USD when rated. Right now, exchange adjusted, these are only ~$35 USD.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2008
2341 posts
836 upvotes
North York
whiteGSR wrote: It's probably due to the price performance ratio. Not absolutely best of the best, but best overall given how cheap these are.

Note that these knives won because they only cost $60 USD when rated. Right now, exchange adjusted, these are only ~$35 USD.
good, making me feel better about my purchase lol. maybe i'll even let them through the dishwasher at some point Astonished Face
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2008
2341 posts
836 upvotes
North York
Does fine edge have the advantage that it can be sharpened?
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2007
1078 posts
531 upvotes
Toronto
I sure hope you guys know how to sharpen knives. These will dull after a while with use on plates.

Steak knives are usually serrated to avoid resharpening.