• Feb 10th, 2022 9:21 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2001
8345 posts
8332 upvotes
Toronto

[Amazon.ca] Microsoft H3S-00004 Sculpt Comfort Bluetooth Mouse, Black - $28.73

Last edited by 9394 on Feb 8th, 2022 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thread Summary
If you're looking for more options, RFD Reviews has a list of the best wireless mice!
45 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
2958 posts
3179 upvotes
GVRD
Have owned one for many years and still looks and operates as if brand new. Of course, Microsoft makes sure the driver is continually updated and there's a separate APP I believe to customize further. Very reliable and predictable. It will sleep when unused for awhile, which frustrates some people with the wait to come back online with Bluetooth. But it doesn't go into that deep sleep often. Perhaps it's a user setting to change.

Two AA batteries will last a long time. Never any Bluetooth issues when linking to new devices.

This is the price to buy it at. It goes down to this price at least once every 6 months or so. It's currently at this price at Staples and some others I believe, which shows it's a Microsoft Authorized sale.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
1267 posts
256 upvotes
Toronto
RxMills wrote: Have owned one for many years and still looks and operates as if brand new. Of course, Microsoft makes sure the driver is continually updated and there's a separate APP I believe to customize further. Very reliable and predictable. It will sleep when unused for awhile, which frustrates some people with the wait to come back online with Bluetooth. But it doesn't go into that deep sleep often. Perhaps it's a user setting to change.

Two AA batteries will last a long time. Never any Bluetooth issues when linking to new devices.

This is the price to buy it at. It goes down to this price at least once every 6 months or so. It's currently at this price at Staples and some others I believe, which shows it's a Microsoft Authorized sale.
Do you actually use the Windows button on the side? I had the round baseball-looking Sculpt mouse, the ergonomic one, and after a while the Windows button got stuck.
Jan 14, 2022
21 posts
41 upvotes
Super strokey wrote: Is there no back button? Work well with macs?
If it's the same as mine (looks exactly the same) you can use gestures on the windows logo to simulate a back button and forward button. This works for windows, not sure about Mac but I do believe it has the app on Mac too which let's you customize the buttons.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
2958 posts
3179 upvotes
GVRD
blueangel2323 wrote: Do you actually use the Windows button on the side? I had the round baseball-looking Sculpt mouse, the ergonomic one, and after a while the Windows button got stuck.
To be honest, rarely. I think Win11 users will use it even less given the dramatic changes in the Start screen. But I've never been a big Start screen fan; instead opting to use perhaps 3-4 key programs from the taskbar instead. Even so, it's a pretty good Bluetooth mouse for the price. At a $45/50+ price, it's a little more difficult to justify. I've dropped it 100 times and it's never been a problem. It's a little heavier than many mice though, probably a result of carrying 2 AA batteries.

Regarding your stuck Windows button on your other mouse, I'm not sure if you searched any youtube videos on cleaning out that area. Sometimes that's an issue for some buttons.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
2958 posts
3179 upvotes
GVRD
Super strokey wrote: Is there no back button? Work well with macs?
There's the Microsoft Mouse & Keyboard APP that can be used to re-program or modify any of the buttons. For example, the WINDOWS-button can be changed to BROWSE-BACK or whatever. It's not a programming effort - only a click on one of the dozens of predefined options.

So, yes, it has a BACK button if you want.

I forgot that the scroll wheel button can also be reprogrammed. Interesting.

Regarding working with MACS, Amazon's Q&A section will likely answer that.
Penalty Box
Aug 25, 2019
806 posts
826 upvotes
This seems to be better for only $17.68 plus taxes
If not why not?

"You must live in the present, launch yourself on every wave, find your eternity in each moment." — Henry David Thoreau
Apr 28, 2008
117 posts
132 upvotes
SCOPster wrote: This seems to be better for only $17.68 plus taxes
If not why not?
Not better connectivity (Dongle VS Bluetooth). BT connects to anything mobile... Unless you have a need for USB, then Amazon Basics (AB) is better.
Not better quality. (Proven MS product I have used. vs AB, gave it to one of the kids so don't know how it lasted. AB generally has varying quality.)
Better Price ... Well this is RFD.

edit Found this
$14.31 at post time If you want USB and don't mind Black or Blue.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2011
2770 posts
1061 upvotes
Whitehorse
Any issues using the Microsoft mouse with Linux?

Or MacOS?
Penalty Box
Aug 25, 2019
806 posts
826 upvotes
deplume wrote: Not better connectivity (Dongle VS Bluetooth). BT connects to anything mobile... Unless you have a need for USB, then Amazon Basics (AB) is better.
Not better quality. (Proven MS product I have used. vs AB, gave it to one of the kids so don't know how it lasted. AB generally has varying quality.)
Better Price ... Well this is RFD.

edit Found this

Interesting, I like the adjustable DPI feature
$14.31 at post time If you want USB and don't mind Black or Blue.
I used to swear by Logitech..had real expensive one that lasted for eons.. then the last expensive one I got only lasted year or two...Crying Face
Last edited by SCOPster on Jan 29th, 2022 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You must live in the present, launch yourself on every wave, find your eternity in each moment." — Henry David Thoreau
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
1267 posts
256 upvotes
Toronto
RxMills wrote: To be honest, rarely. I think Win11 users will use it even less given the dramatic changes in the Start screen. But I've never been a big Start screen fan; instead opting to use perhaps 3-4 key programs from the taskbar instead. Even so, it's a pretty good Bluetooth mouse for the price. At a $45/50+ price, it's a little more difficult to justify. I've dropped it 100 times and it's never been a problem. It's a little heavier than many mice though, probably a result of carrying 2 AA batteries.

Regarding your stuck Windows button on your other mouse, I'm not sure if you searched any youtube videos on cleaning out that area. Sometimes that's an issue for some buttons.
Oops, I remembered incorrectly. It wasn't the Windows button that got stuck, it was the Back button below it. I don't think it exists on the Comfort mouse, only the Ergo.
Apr 28, 2008
117 posts
132 upvotes
No MacOS here. No problem with Linux / Android / Windows as a basic mouse / HID. I've never tried to install the MS programming software even on Windows, just plug and play.
Aug 19, 2013
979 posts
1028 upvotes
TORONTO
SCOPster wrote: I used to swear by Logitech..had real expensive one that lasted for eons.. then the last expensive one I got only lasted year or two...Crying Face
same. they suck now. Most, if not all have the double click issue within 1-2 years
Feb 12, 2006
361 posts
73 upvotes
Laval
I use both, the back function on the smaller one requires that you slide down your thumb on the windows button. It's weird, I rarely think of using it. Otherwise I really like it, it's always in my laptop bag.

blueangel2323 wrote: Oops, I remembered incorrectly. It wasn't the Windows button that got stuck, it was the Back button below it. I don't think it exists on the Comfort mouse, only the Ergo.
Feb 12, 2006
361 posts
73 upvotes
Laval
I probably reconfigured it to back button.

9FCA11FD-C0AA-46F3-88A7-77EB87F41F6D.jpeg
Finger wrote: I use both, the back function on the smaller one requires that you slide down your thumb on the windows button. It's weird, I rarely think of using it. Otherwise I really like it, it's always in my laptop bag.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
2958 posts
3179 upvotes
GVRD
Finger wrote: I use both, the back function ... requires that you slide down your thumb on the windows button.
CRAZY!

Never knew that. The thing even vibrates. This mouse vibrates like an Xbox controller?
Swiping up or down on the WINDOWS button goes either BACK or FORWARD on a site.
Very cool.
Apr 23, 2006
958 posts
502 upvotes
Alberta
Looks like a decent deal but lots of reviews say it has issues with the Bluetooth connection dropping.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
2958 posts
3179 upvotes
GVRD
Rawket wrote: Looks like a decent deal but lots of reviews say it has issues with the Bluetooth connection dropping.
This mouse will power down to save battery energy. Then it comes down to how quickly it'll reconnect with someone's Bluetooth setup. That'll vary considerably, and it also depends on someone's Bluetooth settings (power savings, etc.). I don't fault the mouse so much for that, but it might have been good to have a setting in the APP to configure that timeout. Maybe it could also be done in the Bluetooth power settings on Windows PCs. Most users will just blame the mouse in their reviews. I haven't had that issue with me, except for the PC's wake-from-sleep state (takes a few seconds). Sometimes just being away from the PC for awhile also takes a couple seconds of mouse movement.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2019
2213 posts
1053 upvotes
SCOPster wrote: This seems to be better for only $17.68 plus taxes
If not why not?

This one has side keys, the more expensive Bluetooth does not.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)