Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] Moccamaster 59691 10-Cup Coffee Brewer with Glass Carafe, Brushed Silver $355.76

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 10th, 2020 12:19 am
[OP]
Feb 14, 2017
5 posts
8 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Moccamaster 59691 10-Cup Coffee Brewer with Glass Carafe, Brushed Silver $355.76

First time post, long time follower. I thought this was a decent deal for those looking for a quality SCA approved coffee maker. Enjoy or rip my drip. Lowest was $325 but this isn't too far off
Last edited by Mars2012 on Dec 9th, 2020 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added price to title
35 replies
May 18, 2018
530 posts
455 upvotes
Would Wayfair price match this? Since they have more colours options it would be nice to select something that really stands out in your kitchen.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
2299 posts
542 upvotes
Kitchener-Waterloo, …
Really don't like the versions with the hot plate, I would advise anyone to get the stainless steel carafe version without a hot plate.

If you're spending this much money on a coffee maker, it's really a waste if you're just going to spoil it with a hot plate afterwards.

I have the older stainless steel carafe version and while the construction of the internals of the coffee maker are great.. the majority of the exterior pieces are cheap plastic.
Aug 2, 2015
90 posts
64 upvotes
Westmount, QC
RandomSanity wrote: Really don't like the versions with the hot plate, I would advise anyone to get the stainless steel carafe version without a hot plate.

If you're spending this much money on a coffee maker, it's really a waste if you're just going to spoil it with a hot plate afterwards.

I have the older stainless steel carafe version and while the construction of the internals of the coffee maker are great.. the majority of the exterior pieces are cheap plastic.
Why wouldn't you want a hot plate? Literally the best for grabbing a coffee 30mins after it's brewed before it gets lukewarm.
[OP]
Feb 14, 2017
5 posts
8 upvotes
Does the hot plate end up burning the coffee? Which coffee maker would you recommend otherwise? Right now I have a bonavita.
Sep 29, 2009
362 posts
138 upvotes
Kitchener
gdnimrod wrote: Why wouldn't you want a hot plate? Literally the best for grabbing a coffee 30mins after it's brewed before it gets lukewarm.
Hot plates continue to heat the coffee, which impacts the flavor negatively. If you’re spending this much on a drip machine for drip coffee that tastes good, don’t ruin it by scalding it on a hot plate.
Jan 27, 2011
462 posts
246 upvotes
What he said.
Consequence wrote:
Hot plates continue to heat the coffee, which impacts the flavor negatively. If you’re spending this much on a drip machine for drip coffee that tastes good, don’t ruin it by scalding it on a hot plate.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
2299 posts
542 upvotes
Kitchener-Waterloo, …
awigm073 wrote: Does the hot plate end up burning the coffee? Which coffee maker would you recommend otherwise? Right now I have a bonavita.
Well Moccamaster make exceptional coffee makers so any of the versions without a hot plate would be a good investment. The KBT or KBGT are both excellent choices and have pretty good thermal carafes. Consequence summed up the downside of a hot plate pretty well.

That being said.. Bonavita coffee makers are also very good. Unless there is something wrong with yours, I don't think it's worth upgrading to a Moccamaster unless you're not happy with something about your current coffee maker.

If you are unhappy with the Bonavita, Moccamaster may not be a good choice either since they both have similar ways of brewing with the shower-style head.
gdnimrod wrote: Why wouldn't you want a hot plate? Literally the best for grabbing a coffee 30mins after it's brewed before it gets lukewarm.
See Consequence's post above. Hot plates ruin the taste of your coffee. A thermal carafe will do a decent job of keeping your coffee warm for 30 minutes without changing the taste. If you're using a $350 coffee maker, you're likely using expensive, premium coffee as well so you don't want to ruin it with a hotplate. Otherwise, there is no point in buying premium coffee and a $350 coffee maker.
Last edited by RandomSanity on Dec 9th, 2020 10:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
2299 posts
542 upvotes
Kitchener-Waterloo, …
WeimarRepublic wrote: The glass carafe is not as bad as everyone is making it out to be
There is nothing wrong with the glass carafe, it's the hotplate underneath it that is the problem. If you don't use the hot plate, the glass carafe version is probably fine but the stainless steel thermal carafe is a much better choice if you're spending this much money.
Dec 2, 2020
88 posts
175 upvotes
RandomSanity wrote: There is nothing wrong with the glass carafe, it's the hotplate underneath it that is the problem. If you don't use the hot plate, the glass carafe version is probably fine but the stainless steel thermal carafe is a much better choice if you're spending this much money.
The thermal carafe has problems of its own. I think with the price difference, this glass carafe on sale is a better buy.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
2299 posts
542 upvotes
Kitchener-Waterloo, …
WeimarRepublic wrote: The thermal carafe has problems of its own. I think with the price difference, this glass carafe on sale is a better buy.
Rushing a $350 purchase because a product is on sale right now is always a bad idea. At this price point you should do your research and purchase the coffee maker that is right for you.

I'm not saying this is the wrong coffee maker for everyone. I'm just trying to provide more information to those who are considering purchasing this.
Dec 8, 2012
754 posts
402 upvotes
Calgary
the one can find a decent espresso machine on sale for this money
May 18, 2018
530 posts
455 upvotes
One thing that seriously bugs me about this machine is it only has an "ON/OFF" switch. I'm all for simplicity but at this pricepoint give me something more.

At this price I would definitely go for the Breville Precision Brewer machine. But if you don't like to tinker around with your coffee making then the "ON/OFF" switch only is for you.
[OP]
Feb 14, 2017
5 posts
8 upvotes
This is why I posted, I felt like I should get your input on this, I am tempted now to get the thermal carafe.... very interesting stuff
Aug 2, 2015
90 posts
64 upvotes
Westmount, QC
Consequence wrote: Hot plates continue to heat the coffee, which impacts the flavor negatively. If you’re spending this much on a drip machine for drip coffee that tastes good, don’t ruin it by scalding it on a hot plate.
Ah, this is helpful! Big coffee buff but alas i hate the second my french press is brewed that the temperature very quickly goes lukewarm. Alas. Thank tho!
Nov 17, 2012
138 posts
213 upvotes
Whitby, ON
RandomSanity wrote: Really don't like the versions with the hot plate, I would advise anyone to get the stainless steel carafe version without a hot plate.

Have owned both models and the stainless steel carafe was very poor and changed the taste of the coffee where the glass carafe does not impart any taste.

Also if your coffee is sitting more than 30 minutes in either it will change the taste.

After sending in 5 metal carafes for warranty I sent back the entire machine and got the glass carafe model and never looked back.

Blind taste test found around the web also choose the glass carafe because of there is no taste imparted, unlike the metal carafe models, and the surface area of the glass carafe style with the unique Technivorm lid results in a better tasting cup of coffee.

My 2 cents as taste is completely subjective but going as far as "a waste if you're just going to spoil it with a hot plate afterwards", seems rather ill informed.
Feb 6, 2020
210 posts
127 upvotes
- glass version is easier to clean
- glass version doesn't leach metallic taste
- but glass version is more fragile
- glass version hot plate on the lower setting actually tastes better to me after an hour than having coffee sit in a thermal carafe for an hour

And here (Seattle Coffee Gear) the tasters prefer the glass version.
Last edited by ArrowFlynn on Dec 9th, 2020 11:45 am, edited 2 times in total.