[Amazon.ca] Monolith 12" 500w subwoofer $995.17

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 11th, 2021 12:53 pm
[OP]
Oct 25, 2018
874 posts
882 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Monolith 12" 500w subwoofer $995.17

This seems like a pretty awesome price for this subwoofer according to the three C's and only 10 left!

I was going to buy a pair of these or the 15" version but decided to go the DIY route.

The Monolith THX subwoofer sets the standard for bass output, low distortion, and affordability. With chest thumping bass that plays down to well under 20Hz, the Monolith subwoofer unleashes cinema level volume, with the ability to convey and articulate the subtle nuances of music.

THX Select products are for medium sized rooms, up to 2,000 cubic feet in size, with a 10-12 foot viewing distance from the screen
The THX Monolith Sub woofers are available with a 10,12 or 15 Inch Woofer
Dual aluminum shorting rings are used to cancel eddy currents, further stabilizing the magnetic flux and significantly lowering distortion.
27 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
14807 posts
6074 upvotes
Ottawa
this is a formidable sub, easily comparable to SVS in this price range. It trades blows with the PB2000 Pro https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

The only issue I have with this is the after sales service. Not sure how what happens if the amp fails down the road (likely scenario with sub amps).....with SVS, you are more likely to get decent after sales service
RFD is not just for cheapskates. Those who want their expensive toys don't want to pay full price either.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2015
3733 posts
3741 upvotes
Alberta
warpdrive wrote: this is a formidable sub, easily comparable to SVS in this price range. It trades blows with the PB2000 Pro https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

The only issue I have with this is the after sales service. Not sure how what happens if the amp fails down the road (likely scenario with sub amps).....with SVS, you are more likely to get decent after sales service
Indeed. I lost the amp in my Velodyne DD-18 twice now. I'm done with the repairs, so I'm waiting for a quote back from EFLC for SVS PB16 Ultra.
[OP]
Oct 25, 2018
874 posts
882 upvotes
warpdrive wrote: this is a formidable sub, easily comparable to SVS in this price range. It trades blows with the PB2000 Pro https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

I heard that about Monolith as well!

I would consider them from Walmart or Amazon only for this reason and not buying direct from Monolith, or go with SVS for warranty....or save a bunch and DIY your subs.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2002
3693 posts
844 upvotes
Brampton
Free delivery is the deal here, weighs about 100lbs.
INFORMATION: The requested thread does not exist.
Nov 24, 2007
357 posts
268 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Seems like a hell of a sub for the money.

I'm still rocking a pair of PSB Subsonic 6i subwoofers from ~2007 in my 24'x18'x7.5' HT room. The specs of the PSBs suggest that they can't generate the SPL that this Monolith does (peak 111db @ 100Hzvs 133db) and don't go as low (-10db @ 27Hz vs closer to 20Hz for the Mono). They've got puny 225W RMS/700W peak class H amps vs the 500/900W DSP amps in the Monos.

I wonder how much of a difference I'd see running a pair of these Monoliths? Hmmmm....... Neutral Face
May 27, 2015
153 posts
441 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Monoprice warranty and customer service is great. My liquid platinum amp broke and they paid to ship it to them and promptly shipped me a brand new replacement.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
14807 posts
6074 upvotes
Ottawa
Rozario7 wrote: Monoprice warranty and customer service is great. My liquid platinum amp broke and they paid to ship it to them and promptly shipped me a brand new replacement.
good to hear. This is a great deal for a high performing sub.

Audioholics rates this sub as "Large" rating which means it will hit 115dB peaks in a 3000-5000 cubic foot large room.
RFD is not just for cheapskates. Those who want their expensive toys don't want to pay full price either.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2007
2419 posts
1281 upvotes
Scarborough
warpdrive wrote: good to hear. This is a great deal for a high performing sub.

Audioholics rates this sub as "Large" rating which means it will hit 115dB peaks in a 3000-5000 cubic foot large room.
How low does it go?
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
14807 posts
6074 upvotes
Ottawa
skinnydoggy wrote: How low does it go?
there are the 3rd party measurements I linked above for CEA or the Monoprice published FR

Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2015
1088 posts
598 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Lush78 wrote: Indeed. I lost the amp in my Velodyne DD-18 twice now. I'm done with the repairs, so I'm waiting for a quote back from EFLC for SVS PB16 Ultra.
Awesome sub. Just be aware they send one guy to deliver (I think he is a bouncer when he's not doing deliveries... but like the kind from the movie Roadhouse, not the 300lb kind), so make sure there is ample space to maneuver and hopefully it is going on the ground floor. Mine went into the basement, so I had to help (during the earlier part of COVID, pre masks). It was extremely stressful because neither my stairwell nor the door to the stairwell could accommodate the dimensions of the box (old Toronto home), and that thing is heavy and slippery as hell (piano finish).
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
14807 posts
6074 upvotes
Ottawa
skinnydoggy wrote: Annnnnnd

Dead
RFD effect, was 10+ when I first saw this thread
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2015
3733 posts
3741 upvotes
Alberta
skinnydoggy wrote: Annnnnnd

Dead
Great news! I was being tempted to get two of these instead of the PB16. I know I'll be much happier with the PB16 and eventually add a 2nd.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2007
2419 posts
1281 upvotes
Scarborough
Lush78 wrote: Great news! I was being tempted to get two of these instead of the PB16. I know I'll be much happier with the PB16 and eventually add a 2nd.
2 PB16’s? You live in a church or something Face With Tears Of Joy
Oct 30, 2013
30 posts
10 upvotes
DELTA
Damn it. Hesitated because of what I heard about reliability/warranty and missed it. Savings of nearly $600 vs 2 SVS PB 2000 Pros would be worth it... right?
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
19221 posts
6775 upvotes
Toronto
These seem to retail around this price, no?

Didn't seem like HUGE retail savings or anything
RedFlagDeals Addict