Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] Monolith by Monoprice 12" THX Ultra Certified 500 Watt Powered Subwoofer

[OP]
Nov 12, 2003
156 posts
102 upvotes
Riverview

[Amazon Canada] Monolith by Monoprice 12" THX Ultra Certified 500 Watt Powered Subwoofer

Monolith by Monoprice 12" THX Ultra Certified 500 Watt Powered Subwoofer retails for $799 USD on Monoprice. There are 2 left for $881.86 CAD on Amazon.ca, All-in for ~$1000.
18 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
3605 posts
980 upvotes
Toronto
No doubt this is a decent subwoofer, but you'd need AT LEAST 2 of them to even out the response in your room.

So you're in for $2000 for just two 12" subs?! Wowzers.

$2k can buy you about four 18" DIY subs and still have money left over to buy an iNuke Behringer amp.
Jul 28, 2010
598 posts
240 upvotes
Repooc wrote:
Mar 13th, 2019 7:48 am
No doubt this is a decent subwoofer, but you'd need AT LEAST 2 of them to even out the response in your room.

$2k can buy you about four 18" DIY subs and still have money left over to buy an iNuke Behringer amp.
I'm interested in DIY subs, any info you can share? TIA
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
12043 posts
3020 upvotes
Ottawa
Nice. This is a very good sub for the money. It easily rivals SVS PB2000.

And not everybody wants to DIY when it comes to subs. This sub is a real deal....don't try to move it alone, the sub itself weighs 100 lbs.

https://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-r ... conclusion
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and not paying full price like Joe Shmoe did. This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2003
8463 posts
1012 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Amazon page says 1000 watt, peak 1800 need special power circuit?
Jul 6, 2009
665 posts
94 upvotes
Repooc wrote:

This is a classic RFD style post. This is a finished product developed by professionals to offer a level of performance (high output, flat frequency response, low distortion and low group delay) that would be difficult overall to match with DIY, and finished to a standard 99% of DIY subs will never achieve. Also, time is not infinite so that needs to be considered and most people don't have a woodworking shop to be building subs.

The chassis on the Monoprice driver is the same as this Wavecor driver which is $575 on it's own before tax and shipping:

Wavecor driver

This is a great deal for anyone looking for a HT sub which is probably decent for music.
Last edited by Citizen Bmac on Mar 13th, 2019 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 10, 2002
422 posts
68 upvotes
Repooc wrote:
Are you saying this specifically for this subwoofer or as a general statement for all subwoofers? Why?
Apr 3, 2005
595 posts
20 upvotes
i just have one question,
why does a regular person needs a 1000 RMS watt subwoofer... … i have a Logitech z5500 which has 110watts 10" subwoofer.. my living room is 25 feet by 16 feet... and that thing alone can shake the whole house not just my living room and if someone is creating a home theatre which i'm planning in the future i don't think theatre room will be bigger than that and even if it is, wouldn't two 10" would be enough and i'm not talking about z5500 for home theatre or regular setup in the living room we can go with any 10" powered sub … polk audio, Klipsch etc etc...

and how good is MONOPRICE when it comes to these brands... i always thought that monoprice is the Chinese brand and is cheap alternative for cables.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2004
2887 posts
1554 upvotes
Ottawa
Repooc wrote:

So you're comparing a DIY sub to a commercially made sub? LOL classic.
Mar 15, 2005
457 posts
186 upvotes
DjSingh wrote:
Mar 13th, 2019 8:38 am
why does a regular person needs a 1000 RMS watt subwoofer... … i have a Logitech z5500 which has 110watts 10" subwoofer.. my living room is 25 feet by 16 feet... and that thing alone can shake the whole house not just my living room and if someone is creating a home theatre which i'm planning in the future i don't think theatre room will be bigger than that and even if it is, wouldn't two 10" would be enough and i'm not talking about z5500 for home theatre or regular setup in the living room we can go with any 10" powered sub … polk audio, Klipsch etc etc...
You're lucky if your logitech will ever even touch 35hz on a good day. Not even in the same league as a real sub.

To properly experience movies the way the director intended you'll need a sub that will dig down to at least 20hz. 2 or more subs are needed if you want even bass response across all the seats.
DjSingh wrote:
and how good is MONOPRICE when it comes to these brands... i always thought that monoprice is the Chinese brand and is cheap alternative for cables.
monoprice is putting out some very good stuff. these subs are even highly recommended by the legendary brent butterworth in the av world. Monoprice amps, for example are actually rebranded ATI amplifiers, who make very decent amps.

@op, very good price for somthing that rivals an SVS sb2000 for $1000 all in. upvoted even tho i have no need for one :)
Last edited by discoblues on Mar 13th, 2019 9:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2006
1020 posts
234 upvotes
Montreal
Unbelievable deal, especially considering the 5% tax for some provinces.

Thanks OP!
Oct 27, 2012
59 posts
142 upvotes
Toronto
price in title pls
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”

― Stephen McCranie
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2004
8984 posts
510 upvotes
Toronto
DjSingh wrote:

Better talk to someone who owns a SVS sub, but I tell you this, your logitech is like to 680 news to a fm radio station.

or the DIY route , or I'd remeber someone who built a home theather room in the basement. reffer to the home renovations forum. someone can link the step by step start to finish of a basement home threather room .
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."