[Amazon.ca] Motorola G8 Power $248+notax

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 18th, 2020 12:33 am
[OP]
Nov 14, 2008
250 posts
70 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Motorola G8 Power $248+notax

The price of the Moto G8 Power (blue and black) International versions have been steadily dropping over the past few months.

Choose your purchase from CanadianOutlet1 (fulfilled by amazon) because they don't charge any tax
If this seller sells out, wait a few days and they re stock again.

Moto G8 Power (4/64GB):
4G: 1/2/3/4/5/7/8/12/17/28/66 (updated)
3G: 1/2/4/5/8/19
2G:2/3/5/8
Last edited by pallfy on Sep 16th, 2020 10:16 pm, edited 34 times in total.
119 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 10, 2008
11902 posts
18630 upvotes
Cheaper than Costco by $22 but no mention of Canadian warranty, mentions international model?

Either way a solid phone.for the price.
Oct 13, 2014
175 posts
171 upvotes
Toronto
Hmmm so a telephoto camera over the g power but seems to be less compatible with Canadian bands?
Oct 18, 2010
252 posts
185 upvotes
I see a few Motorola deals on the Deals Forum. Just wondering, what do you guys like about Motorola phones?

I'm currently shopping around for a new phone. How does this compare? Honor 9x Lite Dual SIM $259.99
[OP]
Nov 14, 2008
250 posts
70 upvotes
cardenas wrote: I see a few Motorola deals on the Deals Forum. Just wondering, what do you guys like about Motorola phones?

I'm currently shopping around for a new phone. How does this compare? Honor 9x Lite Dual SIM $259.99
I would check the cpu comparison, Kirin 710F, and the bands it can use.

This model has a bigger battery, Motorola probably has more support like android updates, and better quality build I would think is another advantage.
They also have the g8 plus which is comparable but smaller battery, with 48mp camera.

I orginally ordered a note 8 from banggood, but the processing and shipping time was so long I cancelled and paid $100 extra to get this moto g8 power now.
Oct 23, 2017
67 posts
181 upvotes
So I have been playing with this phone for the past week, figured I'd share my experience so far. I was coming from a Samsung S8 from ~3 years ago:

- Processor seems snappy enough doing everything so far except sometimes seems to stutter a bit when initiating videos.
- Videos are probably my biggest issue so far; for some reason, trying to go 'full screen' (where the screen switches from vertical to horizontal) causes a lot of videos to just shut, creating an endless loop. I've ended up just settling for watching a small version while holding the phone vertically several times. This happens on both Chrome and Firefox, so I'm not sure what the deal is. Really hoping there will be a software fix for this soon. If anyone has any ideas for fixing this, I'd love to hear them.
- Screen is bright / sharp enough.
- Too early to really comment on the battery life, still cycling through power charges, but it seems good so far.
- I find the gestures for controlling the phone (switching between apps, going "back", taking a screenshot, etc.) far less intuitive than on my Samsung S8, and they require more dexterity. This was pretty annoying at first, but I am slowly getting used to it.
- The native sound options for notifications and calls are absolutely terrible. I feel like I've gone back in time to the Atari years. Not sure why this is the case.
- Personally, I'm finding the phone a bit too big. Having the extra screen real estate isn't worth the slight discomfort/occasional awkwardness trying to reach some buttons with one hand, the possibility of it slipping, and the lumpiness of it on my pocket.
- Dual SIM is a nice feature for me as a frequent traveler, but more and more phones have this nowadays.

So there's my little review. Overall, I am really torn about whether to keep or return it after going to all the trouble of setting it up!
Feb 21, 2008
223 posts
58 upvotes
I was considering this phone too, but think I am going to wait for the Google Pixel 4a just for the sheer fact that it is a smaller device. Anybody know when Google will actually ship the Pixel 4a in Canada? I don't want to pre-order a phone and not know when it will ship.
Aug 21, 2005
556 posts
56 upvotes
Vancouver
Difficult to find a case that fits this phone. The bulk of the cases are for G power which is a different size phone and so far the ones on amazon that say they fit the G8 power, have cutouts that’s don’t line up with the phone
Oct 23, 2017
67 posts
181 upvotes
endless402 wrote: Difficult to find a case that fits this phone. The bulk of the cases are for G power which is a different size phone and so far the ones on amazon that say they fit the G8 power, have cutouts that’s don’t line up with the phone
Double check this. I believe they are the same phone, just confusion over regional naming differences that haven't been consistently applied. I think the G8 power is supposed to be just g power in North America.

You can compare the Amazon specs with Costco's specs.
Aug 8, 2007
414 posts
261 upvotes
[quote=PumpkinPete post_id=32943704 time=1596897508 user_id=14062
- Dual SIM is a nice feature for me as a frequent traveler, but more and more phones have this nowadays.
[/quote]

Are you sure it is Dual SIM and not just an expandable memory slot? Did you buy the phone in Canada? I want a dual SIM phone but didn’t think the Canadian G Power has this?

Edit: NVM I see now this is the international version.
Jun 5, 2017
77 posts
12 upvotes
PumpkinPete wrote: Double check this. I believe they are the same phone, just confusion over regional naming differences that haven't been consistently applied. I think the G8 power is supposed to be just g power in North America.

You can compare the Amazon specs with Costco's specs.
This is not correct, G8 Power and G Power are slightly different phones and cases are not cross compatible.
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
9621 posts
1135 upvotes
GTA
PumpkinPete wrote:

So there's my little review. Overall, I am really torn about whether to keep or return it after going to all the trouble of setting it up!
I am curious did you buy this as an upgrade to Samsung G8? I have Samsung S8+ I bought used and been really happy with it. A friend is looking for a new phone to replace old LG phone so thought of recommending this one.
Jun 2, 2010
69 posts
26 upvotes
London
JLu416 wrote: Hmmm so a telephoto camera over the g power but seems to be less compatible with Canadian bands?
G8 Power has 4GB ram.. where-as G Power is 3GB.

It also has Band 17 and 12 (Canadian LTE bands). It's missing 13.

IMO.... G8 Power is >>>>>>>>>> G Power.
Last edited by mezerr on Aug 8th, 2020 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jun 2, 2010
69 posts
26 upvotes
London
Also... one thing to note about OP's Amazon link..... there is no tax when you check out :)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)