34 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Mpow Solar Lights 24 LED, 2 packs - $22

Old version:
https://www.amazon.ca/Mpow-Wireless-Wat ... B01L3F6LI0
$22

New version:
https://www.amazon.ca/Mpow-Upgraded-Ele ... B073JGKG49
$25

I bought the old version last time, still working in Toronto this winter. I want to try the new version this time.
laptop-tech wrote: On boxing day everything will be free.
12 replies
Deal Addict
May 2, 2008
2503 posts
1355 upvotes
Mississauga
Thanks op. This is cheaper than the 'lightning deal' a few days ago that sold out within minutes.

I bought back a few sets and will return the higher price ones.

Thanks for the savings!
Vinh
If you're going to hate, Get off RFD!
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2007
3844 posts
2597 upvotes
Ontario
What does the new ones offer or is there not enough information to give a good rundown?
---
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
4513 posts
1481 upvotes
Vancouver
I bought similar lights from three other brands and the results have been hit and miss. They all appear to have a similar design for water resistance and imho it is not the best.

Bear in mind I live in the Vancouver area where from about mid-October through April it is overcast and rainy.

One brand, two units - both were dead within 6 weeks. Water damage I think. These were used in the mode where the LEDs only turned on with motion and turned off after about 20 seconds.

Other brand - one unit (my initial trial unit) is not dead but needs 3 straight days with sunshine to work, This unit does not have a mode that allows it to go 100% off - it always is on at least 10% and in the summer when there were long days with lots of sunshine, the unit did not last the night.

The third brand, 4 units, 3 continue to work and the 4th is dim most of the time unless it gets 3 days of sunshine. All the units go dim or stop functioning after one of our 5 to 10 straight days of overcast and rain. These were used in the mode where the LEDs only turned on with motion and turned off after about 20 seconds.

They have not performed well at all in these months of short daylight hours, clouds, and rain.

They have to be oriented facing south - any other direction and they don't get recharged.

I gave up and ordered some Mr. Beams (battery powered). These have been in place a month six weeks and are still going strong.

Last edited by NewsyL on Jan 25th, 2018 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2008
1618 posts
486 upvotes
It's funny, the price of the newer version 4-pack is $53.99 vs. 2-pack @ $24.99. Who would buy a 4-pack?!
I bought 4 of these back in 2016 ($39.99 now) and I've been impressed. 3 of the 4 are still going strong. The 4th is temperamental.

If you're thinking of buying the old style, consider buying the 4-pack for $39.99.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2005
2106 posts
494 upvotes
Do they come with mounting screws and tools? I dont see how I can drill through solid brick or cement without power tools to mount them
Life is short make it long
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
4138 posts
2665 upvotes
darkmagician wrote: Do they come with mounting screws and tools? I dont see how I can drill through solid brick or cement without power tools to mount them
Mine came with screws and plastic anchors but they are crap. I only got half of the screw into the wood, before snapping not one but two screws using a manual screw driver. If you are going to use the screws, pre-drill the holes.
Last edited by SizzleChest on Jan 25th, 2018 4:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nov 3, 2016
12 posts
7 upvotes
I have had these for 6 months now and use them just for the motion sensor function where they turn off after about 20 seconds. They work perfectly so far and I have them facing west. One setup in my car port and one in my backyard walkway. They come with the screws but do not over tighten.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2007
2065 posts
1260 upvotes
Markham
vinnie1990 wrote: Thanks op. This is cheaper than the 'lightning deal' a few days ago that sold out within minutes.

I bought back a few sets and will return the higher price ones.

Thanks for the savings!
I bought it during the lighting deal on Jan 11. Amazon refused to price adjust when I call now.
I try to process the one I already bought to return and it's asking for $7.50 to ship back. How do I not pay the return and send it back?
-------
Thank you
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2007
3844 posts
2597 upvotes
Ontario
kunamvahees wrote: I bought it during the lighting deal on Jan 11. Amazon refused to price adjust when I call now.
I try to process the one I already bought to return and it's asking for $7.50 to ship back. How do I not pay the return and send it back?
Strange I have never had to pay a return with Amazon. I only buy prime shipped items if that makes a difference.
---
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
4138 posts
2665 upvotes
kanechart wrote: Strange I have never had to pay a return with Amazon. I only buy prime shipped items if that makes a difference.
Might be a new policy. I ordered a pair of gloves that were a bit too small. I ordered the same gloves one size larger that were tagged correctly, but fit exactly the same. I asked for and received my return authorization but was not prepaid. I opted to keep them to either use or re-sell. I haven't returned much to amazon in the past but don't ever recall having to pay for return shipping.