[Amazon Canada] MPOW Waterproof IPX8 Phone Pouches [$7.99 - qty: 2]

[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
2810 posts
1523 upvotes
Toronto

[Amazon Canada] MPOW Waterproof IPX8 Phone Pouches [$7.99 - qty: 2]

Going on vacation soon and wanted a water proof pouch. Searched around and saw most for $14+ for two....this seems like a pretty awesome deal. Also good timing for people going on vacation soon too. I have 2 similar ones like these I got and needed more. They work pretty amazing. Great for beach vacations too, protects the phone not only from water but also sand.

You have to enter the special code under the "special offers" section. More info if you need:
Get 1 of Mpow Universal Waterproof Case for CDN$ 7.99 offered by Topyo Pro. Enter code ARMC29JG at checkout.
Compatible with iPhone Xs/XS Max/XR/X/8/8 Plus/7/7 Plus, Galaxy S10/S9/S8 Google Pixel Note 8 HTC12 and up to 6.5"
Code: ARMC29JG

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01HOCXVJ8
39 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2014
1901 posts
1392 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
I purchased these before and so far I've only used them to take my phone in the shower with me when I have to go to a different gym that has a reputation for lockers being broken into. But they work for that at least!
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2009
1803 posts
1833 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Ive always purchased these type of cases when flying to Cuba, they do the job. The price is warm at best as Ive gotten 3-4 packs in the past for $10 or so. I usually end up using 1 or 2 and then just leave them all behind with a bartender or housekeeping along with the bubba.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 25, 2005
7162 posts
3363 upvotes
North York
I brought one last time into Wonderland and it protects my phone on family rides such as White Water Canyon and Timberwolf Falls,
but they won't allow me to carry phone even inside the pouch on any Splash Works and water slides attractions.

Having said that, these pouches are really convenient to bring along on canoeing trips.
No more need to hesitate whether to take the phone and risking it being destroyed or lost in the water in case the boat gets flipped.
Last edited by DragonRider on Jun 25th, 2019 11:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2004
2692 posts
668 upvotes
Vancouver
Out of curiosity for those that have used these pouches, are your phones IP-rated water resistant or not? Mine are so I'm not worried about water splashing, but I can see some value in these just with the wrist/neck strap in case the phone goes flying off during the activity. Is that a valid use?
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
3784 posts
965 upvotes
GTA
Bishop8 wrote:
Jun 25th, 2019 11:26 am
Out of curiosity for those that have used these pouches, are your phones IP-rated water resistant or not? Mine are so I'm not worried about water splashing, but I can see some value in these just with the wrist/neck strap in case the phone goes flying off during the activity. Is that a valid use?
The issue with IP ratings on phones is that they refer to water resistance, not being water proof. They're also not meant to be protected against things like chlorine or salt water and the water resistant seals can degrade over time, especially after drops and things like that.

So I think thes pouches can still be a good idea.
Aug 21, 2011
748 posts
407 upvotes
Whitby
For just splash proofing your phone from rain or like in Niagara cruises, I think the usual zip lock sandwich bags will do the trick.
Koodo Mobile | Stack | Lyft | Instagram
Sep 18, 2016
109 posts
100 upvotes
I had issues with mine, the waterproofing was fine*, but the clip for the neck strap was faulty. It was very weak and after 2 steps wearing my phone around my neck the clip gave way and dropped my phone. Luckily I was on a beach and it just fell into the sand, but if I were on pavement it would have broken my phone. If you buy this bag give the clip a sharp yank to see if the clip gives.

*By fine I mean splash proof. I tested both bags by filling it with paper towels and submerging it in the sink. One bag held up fine, but the other one seeped through and got the paper towel wet after 1 to 2 hr of being submerged. I made a note of which one that was and made sure to only put my samsung ip68 phone in. Neither leaked water with a short 5 minute in and out.
Last edited by enfinityx2 on Jun 25th, 2019 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
18593 posts
3209 upvotes
GTA West
Bishop8 wrote:
Jun 25th, 2019 11:26 am
I used this with a phone that's not water resistant.

Basically I was going on a boat and wanted some assurance if the phone got splashed, or I dropped it in the water and grabbed it back quickly. It comes with a lanyard to reduce the chance of accidental drops.
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
Jan 15, 2006
53 posts
22 upvotes
I have a couple of these MPOW branded pouches. I’ve brought them with me on vacation a few times and have held up well. These won’t be good for things like snorkelling or worse, scuba diving, but it will hold up for a bit submerged a couple of feet under water for a short period of time. At the beach, I was able to stick my phone under water to snap some pics of the fish. It might be ok to go deeper, but I don’t feel like risking my phone to find out :P

For the price, it’s well worth the money.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2014
1901 posts
1392 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
Dave98 wrote:
Jun 25th, 2019 11:39 am
The issue with IP ratings on phones is that they refer to water resistance, not being water proof. They're also not meant to be protected against things like chlorine or salt water and the water resistant seals can degrade over time, especially after drops and things like that.

So I think thes pouches can still be a good idea.
Yep it's all this. Knowing the sealing can degrade and the fact they won't stand behind the rating and warranty water damage means it's absolutely not worth the risk.
Oct 13, 2016
166 posts
146 upvotes
In a galaxy far far …
Thanks OP.

These are good for keeping sand out of your phone... But I'm don't want my spiffy new phone to get that close to the water in this bag!
Jul 29, 2012
918 posts
288 upvotes
Alberta
These things work perfect, I've had them for a year and they get continuous use. I've taken them kayaking, snorkelling and even swimming, the inside has always been dry. I actually keep my cards and keys in the pouch along with my phone so I don't have to worry about leaving anything important with our towels.

Highly recommended.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2874 posts
457 upvotes
This is good when I go atving. +1 OP
Apr 18, 2008
383 posts
507 upvotes
BC
Thanks OP! Great for boat fishing!

Nothing hurts quite like OOS.