• Last Updated:
  • Oct 11th, 2018 8:03 am
[OP]
Jul 4, 2009
976 posts
139 upvotes
Mississauga area

[Amazon.ca] Mr Heater Big Buddy 4000, 9000, 18000 BTU $159.18

Mr. Heater F274830 MH18B Big Buddy Grey Indoor-Safe Portable Propane Heater (4,000, 9,000 and 18,000 BTU)

I usually see this heater for $218 at Lowes or Home Depot and $190 at Princess Auto.
Its a good little propane heater.
15 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2013
1437 posts
694 upvotes
Cannot be sold to Canada---from description

The Most Popular Portable Propane Heater in North America. This patented radiant 4,000-18,000 BTU Liquid Propane heater connects directly to two 1 lb. cylinders and is the perfect solution for heating enclosed spaces like cabins up to 450 sq. ft. An integrated fan increases the heating capacity of this unit, blending radiant and convection style heat to give you the best of both worlds. Two swivel regulators give you the ability to adapt usage from disposable cylinders to a remote gas supply with the purchase of a single hose and filter. To light the unit, simply push and rotate the knob. The built in Piezo sparking mechanism will take care of the rest. With the Oxygen Depletion Sensor (ODS) and accidental tip-over safety shut-off, you can be sure that you will enjoy years of comfortable indoor safe heat.*WE ARE NOT ABLE TO SELL THIS PRODUCT TO CANADA AND MASSACHUSETTS* **Please note when operating the heater at altitudes over 7,000 FT above sea level the heater may shut off.**
[OP]
Jul 4, 2009
976 posts
139 upvotes
Mississauga area
Justfishing wrote: Cannot be sold to Canada---from description

The Most Popular Portable Propane Heater in North America. This patented radiant 4,000-18,000 BTU Liquid Propane heater connects directly to two 1 lb. cylinders and is the perfect solution for heating enclosed spaces like cabins up to 450 sq. ft. An integrated fan increases the heating capacity of this unit, blending radiant and convection style heat to give you the best of both worlds. Two swivel regulators give you the ability to adapt usage from disposable cylinders to a remote gas supply with the purchase of a single hose and filter. To light the unit, simply push and rotate the knob. The built in Piezo sparking mechanism will take care of the rest. With the Oxygen Depletion Sensor (ODS) and accidental tip-over safety shut-off, you can be sure that you will enjoy years of comfortable indoor safe heat.*WE ARE NOT ABLE TO SELL THIS PRODUCT TO CANADA AND MASSACHUSETTS* **Please note when operating the heater at altitudes over 7,000 FT above sea level the heater may shut off.**
I read that part too, but its on Amazon.ca so I don't know why it would list on Amazon and not sell it. The Canadian/Massachusettes version is red and is $218 https://www.amazon.ca/Mr-Heater-F274865 ... dpSrc=srch

This one looks exactly the same but gray. I think it has to do more with the warnings on it. In Canada and Massachusettes, you can't use these things indoor and the red one labels it as such.
I ordered this gray one last night, and received notice it should arrive next week.
Oct 31, 2010
572 posts
331 upvotes
Edmonton
I have the little buddy heater and I'm very pleased with it. Just ordered the adapter hose to connect a 20lb tank.
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2003
1462 posts
328 upvotes
Ottawa
Prices may drop again during this Black Friday. I picked up the Big Buddy last year for $88 + taxes.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2008
3196 posts
3196 upvotes
Oakville
I bought this for $95 including tax last year for the Amazon choice red and black version. Which has been awesome!
-ZdpZ... ;)
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
17374 posts
6200 upvotes
Justfishing wrote: Cannot be sold to Canada---from description

These things exhaust their combustion fumes indoors and were banned. They have tried using NAFTA and other laws to overturn the ban and they may currently be legal for use in Canada, not because they don't harm health anymore but because they have money to oppose human health/safety laws.
Given the number of people who don't care if they are harming themselves in previous threads on these devices it seems there is little point in rehashing the dangers but for those who don't know the dangers of breathing exhaust and want to learn please look up previous threads on these unvented heaters or spend some time googling it.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburders eat people
Dec 3, 2010
529 posts
408 upvotes
Toronto
Quentin5 wrote: These things exhaust their combustion fumes indoors and were banned. They have tried using NAFTA and other laws to overturn the ban and they may currently be legal for use in Canada, not because they don't harm health anymore but because they have money to oppose human health/safety laws.
Given the number of people who don't care if they are harming themselves in previous threads on these devices it seems there is little point in rehashing the dangers but for those who don't know the dangers of breathing exhaust and want to learn please look up previous threads on these unvented heaters or spend some time googling it.
The only difference between Canadian version and this is a warning label. Because climate in Canada and Massachusetts is colder, the Nanny government banned it for indoor use. With enough fresh air there's actually minimal risk. The only indoor fume is co2 and water vapor.

Use one with a portable co sensor if your are paranoid.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
17374 posts
6200 upvotes
muffin_man wrote: The only difference between Canadian version and this is a warning label. Because climate in Canada and Massachusetts is colder, the Nanny government banned it for indoor use. With enough fresh air there's actually minimal risk. The only indoor fume is co2 and water vapor.

Use one with a portable co sensor if your are paranoid.
If you really believe this then there is no point me explaining that pollution is harmful to humans since your not going to listen (which is why i didn't repost my explanations from previous threads). Anyone who knows that pollution is bad for you can easily search RFD using the advanced search for "unvented" and author "Quentin5"
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburders eat people
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
1728 posts
966 upvotes
Vancouver
Yes, better to freeze to death than die of pollution that is harmful to humans in any amount.

Remember to ban your gas stoves too.

edit: I googled your "unvented quentin5" & I found two posts. Looks like the issue with permanently installed unvented indoor heaters (as a furnace substitute), which this thread and the linked threads are not about. The point about having ventilation is important though.
mr-heater-mh4b-little-buddy-3800-btu-in ... #p29180272
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/tsc-mr-h ... a-1901909/
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
2818 posts
701 upvotes
Belle River
Someone in the Amazon questions/answers said a 1lb propane lasts about 4 hours. Does that sound about right?
Jul 2, 2005
380 posts
107 upvotes
Mississauga
hystavito wrote: Someone in the Amazon questions/answers said a 1lb propane lasts about 4 hours. Does that sound about right?
I used this for winter camping inside a canvas tent, kept us warm in -34C. 3-4 hours sounds about right for the high setting for 2 - one lb canister. Get a hose adapter will save you a lot. Those 1 lb canisters goes by real fast.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
2818 posts
701 upvotes
Belle River
ezacarias wrote: I used this for winter camping inside a canvas tent, kept us warm in -34C. 3-4 hours sounds about right for the high setting for 2 - one lb canister. Get a hose adapter will save you a lot. Those 1 lb canisters goes by real fast.
I'm wondering if this is would warm my un-insulated garage significantly better than what I do now, which is run one of those big loud 220V 5000W (I think it is) heaters for a bit before I go in, and then use a small heater to warm myself while in there. I do this almost every day so even with the 20lbs propane tank I'm not sure how much of a hassle it might become. Or maybe with this I just stop pre-heating and run it on low near me with the fan off?

I know I really should insulate it but I keep putting it off and then it's like maybe next year.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2003
1818 posts
609 upvotes
Edmonton
hystavito wrote: I'm wondering if this is would warm my un-insulated garage significantly better than what I do now, which is run one of those big loud 220V 5000W (I think it is) heaters for a bit before I go in, and then use a small heater to warm myself while in there. I do this almost every day so even with the 20lbs propane tank I'm not sure how much of a hassle it might become. Or maybe with this I just stop pre-heating and run it on low near me with the fan off?

I know I really should insulate it but I keep putting it off and then it's like maybe next year.
honestly two people, two sets of gloves, masks and some pink stuff. probably wouldn't take you that long at all and as for convenience factor over the winter, it will be astronomically better.

R U PACKIN HEAT
?
Dec 3, 2010
529 posts
408 upvotes
Toronto
Quentin5 wrote: If you really believe this then there is no point me explaining that pollution is harmful to humans since your not going to listen (which is why i didn't repost my explanations from previous threads). Anyone who knows that pollution is bad for you can easily search RFD using the advanced search for "unvented" and author "Quentin5"
Guess people like you really enjoy being babysit by nanny government. Btw I got better things to do than searching for your stupid posts.