• Sep 18th, 2021 12:11 pm
17 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
1631 posts
2773 upvotes
Vancouver
JoJoCan wrote: Back in stock... for those still looking for a gpu
Kind of off topic but on topic, suggestions on how to get a 3060 etc?
Apr 30, 2012
285 posts
142 upvotes
North York
danascully wrote: Kind of off topic but on topic, suggestions on how to get a 3060 etc?
afaik there are twitters and other platforms that can ping you when there is stock available but you have to be extremely fast on it, like no more then a minute before its oos (especially the 3xxx series)
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
1631 posts
2773 upvotes
Vancouver
Steveei wrote: afaik there are twitters and other platforms that can ping you when there is stock available but you have to be extremely fast on it, like no more then a minute before its oos (especially the 3xxx series)
Good lord thanks. I'm wanting to upgrade my 1070 for VR performance. Newegg has the 3060 in stock for almost $800 ... hmm
Feb 4, 2015
513 posts
1573 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Crazy.. this is a 2019 card with MSRP of like $200 at launch!

If you want a low end card I can't really help you, but if you want something a bit higher end your best chances to get a card are (in no particular order):
1) Subscribe to various bots and discord channels which will let you know when stuff comes in stock, but normally the bots will beat you so imo not a great strategy
2) Wait for the next Best Buy restock where you line up to get a card; if you want some of the better priced ones you could literally be camped out for 10 hours though depending on the store, but almost a sure thing if you are willing to put in the effort
3) Watch for the AMD store restock, still a ton of luck involved, but better than #1 unless you need ray tracing where AMD doesn't do too well
4) Buy a bundle from Canada Computers; people like to crap on them for bundles but it's a good way to get a card if you also need a motherboard
5) Visit Memory Express (in person) frequently; depends on the store, but they often have some sort of stock - hit or miss but if you are persistent you will grab one eventually

Alternative options:
6) Buy a laptop - doesn't work if you are just trying to replace a card, but you can get reasonably priced ones where you just connect it to your external monitor etc
7) Buy a xbox/ps4 or ps5 - still priced normally and you can still play many games
8) Get Stadia - don't like the service personally, but depending on the genres you play you can get by without a videocard until the market becomes sane again

Also keep in mind the next generation of video cards are expected to be released in 2022 with potentially big improvements. Availability will probably be poor but you may or may not want to wait.
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2004
1273 posts
1346 upvotes
IMO, this card is overpriced for what it can do. Going forward, it has no RT capabilities and therefore you're not sure how long the AAA software developers will continue to support this card.

4GB RAM is also a huge limitation, when compared to a 3060 with 12GB.

The latest BB Drop, 3060ti FE was $549 - I know it's a lot more, but you get RT+2x performance, 8GB RAM and longevity in support for future games. If you ever resell your 3060ti card, you will get that difference back.

Yeah, I'm aware of the shortages in silicone, miners, and scalpers, but just to give you an idea of what you're paying $318 for vs $549.

Plus scalpers are not after these GTX for mining and RTX 4xxx series out in 2022 along with DDR5 systems so iGPU performance will increase.

If you can resist FOMO, you'll eventually get an RTX card because without them, software sales will slump and developers won't make games and no games equals no demand for RTX. Miners can buy them all.
Last edited by frugal69 on Sep 18th, 2021 7:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
Feb 16, 2021
28 posts
17 upvotes
I'm sorry but I think I just timeslipped. What year are we in now?
Dec 23, 2016
211 posts
147 upvotes
this is so overpriced

$300 is what I spent on a 1660 super 2 years ago
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2002
9985 posts
6920 upvotes
Toronto
Can’t wait for these shortages to be over, well hopefully I can wait.
Feb 14, 2006
899 posts
1070 upvotes
Hammonds Plains
danascully wrote:
Kind of off topic but on topic, suggestions on how to get a 3060 etc?
Good luck. I get notifications as soon as they are in stock for a few different stores.. even with screen on and phone in hand I immediately click the link - It's gone. This has been happening for almost a full year now. You have to find them before that bot does which sends the notification. 3060, 3060ti, 3070, 3080. 0 chance with them. 3080ti, the worst financial msrp deal, is the only card I have secured about 6 or so times now at Amazon, Newegg, best Buy, Canada computers. Can't justify $2400+ though which is 3% better than a $1100 3080 card.
Deal Addict
May 20, 2009
1410 posts
985 upvotes
Mississauga
I still surprise in RFD lots of people don't know what is a deal.
If you can buy, and sell in ebay/kijiji for $100 profit quickly, that is a deal for sure.
A deal is not comparing to MSRP, only to the price people are willing to pay.
A few years back, if you buy a ford 2k below MSRP, people will laugh at you.
Now, you will be kicked out of dealership if you try.

Another factor is timing. If you can wait for 2 years, then this is not a deal for you.
Computer price is dropping in long term anyway.
So maybe for you, this is not a hot deal, but for lots of people, it is.

Maybe some people post negative, just due to the hot demand of the video cards.
But don't hate the Op, he is only trying to help the situation.
If you have to hate someone, hate the miners...
PM $13/30 days, 250MB with unlimited incoming/30d
Nov 25, 2019
5 posts
30 upvotes
Canada computers has stock for several bundles, I just bought a 3060 ti + ryzen 5600x for $1078 + tax which I thought was a fair price. Since I needed a new CPU as well that wasn’t an issue for me, but it could be a deal breaker for those looking for just a GPU.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
1631 posts
2773 upvotes
Vancouver
zerosyncrate wrote: Canada computers has stock for several bundles, I just bought a 3060 ti + ryzen 5600x for $1078 + tax which I thought was a fair price. Since I needed a new CPU as well that wasn’t an issue for me, but it could be a deal breaker for those looking for just a GPU.
I actually need that exact combo, but I REFUSE to give canada computers my money. Screw that company
Jul 16, 2021
149 posts
190 upvotes
at these prices you might as well buy a pre built and sell the machine keep the gpu.
it is expected to go down in prices the mining etherium 2.0 might change that a little
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2004
1273 posts
1346 upvotes
danascully wrote: I actually need that exact combo, but I REFUSE to give canada computers my money. Screw that company
bob12344 wrote: at these prices you might as well buy a pre built and sell the machine keep the gpu.
Patience, play the waiting game ... let the miners and the scalpers continue until they run out of customers.
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
12111 posts
10324 upvotes
Oil Country
Verdic wrote: Crazy.. this is a 2019 card with MSRP of like $200 at launch!
Technically this isn't a 2019 card. All newer 1600 series cards come with GDDR6 memory now. The 2019 cards at launch came with GDDR5 memory. It's still not worth the price, considering some stores have GTX 1650 Super cards listed for sub-$300, but these are the times we live in. You can either spend a bit more (around $50 more) to get the card now and be able to use it, or you can hold out for a few years until card fall back down to normal prices. Not everyone has time or money to do the things you mentioned to score a better card. People have jobs and other responsibilities that are more important, instead of waiting around for stock drops or buying bundles for more money than they have budgeted.

Also, not everyone is out to get the latest and greatest cards. Some people just want a card that'll work well with an older system and the run the games they play. Not everyone cares to play the newest AAA games.

I'm not sure why this is so difficult for people to comprehend. In normal times I'm sure most people would get a better card, but these aren't normal times.