Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] MTX 6.5" 2-Way 50W In-Ceiling Speakers - Pair - $139 and NO TAX

[OP]
Newbie
Jun 20, 2018
69 posts
32 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] MTX 6.5" 2-Way 50W In-Ceiling Speakers - Pair - $139 and NO TAX

First time posting a deal, hopefully someone finds it useful.

Bought 2 sets of these speakers (total 4) for my upcoming home theatre setup. We're building a house and I wanted to have some decent speakers in there.

So total savings are decent - the speakers are $139 AND NO TAX. Regularly priced at $179 plus tax.

Anyone have these speakers? Wondering what your thoughts are.
Images
  • 47217_m_1.jpg
13 replies
Member
Jan 19, 2008
480 posts
298 upvotes
Why are you using In-Ceiling Speakers for a home theatre?
Newbie
Jan 21, 2015
99 posts
62 upvotes
YQR
Manic1! wrote: Why are you using In-Ceiling Speakers for a home theatre?
legit question, what are you supposed to use if you're just starting out? Ideally?
[OP]
Newbie
Jun 20, 2018
69 posts
32 upvotes
The plan is to have them as a secondary sound system so that if someone wants to play music, they won't use (or screw up) the actual home theatre system. I find that people tend to not know how to operate proper systems so I don't want mine to be messed with.
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2011
2512 posts
2756 upvotes
Calgary
Past August 8th, prices was $84. Wait and it will come down again. Check CCC.
Rule No.1 here: Buy first, Think afterwards.
Newbie
May 16, 2010
18 posts
5 upvotes
London
Manic1! wrote: Why are you using In-Ceiling Speakers for a home theatre?
I got different in ceiling speakers, but the new home theater audio standards like Dolby Atmos, uses speaker from above you. Called 7.1.2 (7 speaker at ear level) (1 sub-woofer)(2 speakers make sound coming above you). I think Atmos supports upto 9.2.4
Member
Nov 6, 2012
300 posts
302 upvotes
Edmonton
Prezbot wrote: The plan is to have them as a secondary sound system so that if someone wants to play music, they won't use (or screw up) the actual home theatre system. I find that people tend to not know how to operate proper systems so I don't want mine to be messed with.


Why not just get a portable bluetooth speaker?
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 7, 2007
6677 posts
1259 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
PeterQ857 wrote: legit question, what are you supposed to use if you're just starting out? Ideally?
Start with a simple 5.1 and upgrade as needed.
There's a sucker born every minute.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2013
3429 posts
4676 upvotes
Canada
I've purchased several in ceiling speakers, Paradigm, etc.

100% the best in ceiling speakers I have heard in this price range are the KEF CI160ER.

https://www.visions.ca/product-detail/3 ... ku=CI160ER

They are barely more money and I'm sure you will be much happier with them. Their performance is great, and importantly their dispersion is fantastic because of the UNI-Q array.
Newbie
May 12, 2013
24 posts
12 upvotes
Vancouver
Blubbs wrote: I've purchased several in ceiling speakers, Paradigm, etc.

100% the best in ceiling speakers I have heard in this price range are the KEF CI160ER.

https://www.visions.ca/product-detail/3 ... ku=CI160ER

They are barely more money and I'm sure you will be much happier with them. Their performance is great, and importantly their dispersion is fantastic because of the UNI-Q array.
Thanks so much for the recommendation. I'm planning out a house build and want to find quality speakers for the main floor for general music. Would you say these need or would greatly benefit from a hidden sub somewhere to help with the low end?
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2013
3429 posts
4676 upvotes
Canada
chrislim604 wrote: Thanks so much for the recommendation. I'm planning out a house build and want to find quality speakers for the main floor for general music. Would you say these need or would greatly benefit from a hidden sub somewhere to help with the low end?
No problem, happy to help!

Yes, any speaker that is not a massive floorstander will benefit a hugely from a sub. It's even more important with in ceiling speakers because most don't have an enclosure, reducing their low frequency capability. However in wall subs suck, especially for the money, and most are passive. If the sub needs to be built in it would be better to get a sealed sub (no port) and place it under a coffee table or in an open piece of furniture (though you may need to use some little bits of material to stop some rattles).

A good sub will be the most expensive part of a setup using these speakers though. I'd look at least at SVS SB-1000. I have dual SB-2000 in furniture, attached a photo so you can see as an idea. If you are placing the sub outside of a piece of furniture, you could go ported (PB-1000) and get more low end bang for the buck, but they are bigger too and sound a bit different.

Image
Sr. Member
User avatar
Oct 25, 2018
894 posts
915 upvotes
rob-o wrote: I got different in ceiling speakers, but the new home theater audio standards like Dolby Atmos, uses speaker from above you. Called 7.1.2 (7 speaker at ear level) (1 sub-woofer)(2 speakers make sound coming above you). I think Atmos supports upto 9.2.4
Ditto!

I installed Polk Audio RC60i 2-Way In-Ceiling Speakers ($129 for both I think) for my Dolby Atmos set up and it is a game changer for movies.

Nabbed a Pioneer VSX-1131 7.2 Atmos receiver for $350 to replace my older 5.1 Pioneer and Atmos is amazing.

I have re-bought some movies I like just to re-watch them with Atmos.
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2010
1302 posts
607 upvotes
Somewhere in Ontario
Is there a reason to spend this much on only 50w speaker? I got these for way less and works well for atmos.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
3641 posts
846 upvotes
I got these when I was redoing my bathrooms, they are horrible IMO. I would much rather get the Polks.

Top