Expired Hot Deals

Amazon.ca

Nabob 100% Colombian 100% Compostable Pods (Keurig Compatible), 30 pack - $10.98 (updated)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 14th, 2021 9:04 pm
[OP]
Nov 7, 2006
549 posts
682 upvotes
Toronto

[Amazon.ca] Nabob 100% Colombian 100% Compostable Pods (Keurig Compatible), 30 pack - $10.98 (updated)

We've not tried their Colombian, but so far we've been happy with their Breakfast Blend as well as their Organic Reserve. However, this is now on sale, so we're giving it a try.

Things we liked about the Nabob pods we've tried so far:
- 100% compostable, so no mess
- robust flavour for a medium roast
- value for money (currently priced at $0.37 per pod)

Things that can be improved:
- a resealable bag, but this can be remedied by using a ziplock bag, a chips-bag slide-lock, or just a binder clip.
- leaves a bit of silt at the bottom of the mug

Hoping the Colombian will be as good as their other coffee pods.

Update: Pricing changed from $11.97 in original posting to $10.98 (12 Sep 2021)
Last edited by jin628 on Sep 12th, 2021 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
15 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2008
1162 posts
1287 upvotes
Surrey
Glad you had a positive experience with these pods. I grabbed a box awhile back and the new Keurig K supreme machine at work did not play well with these pods. The multiple puncture points that were suppose to be pierced failed. Decent coffee when it does work though. Also, same experience with the silt. The old single puncture machine worked well. Not sure what happened with mine.
Mar 14, 2017
242 posts
158 upvotes
I tried the Nabob once - didn't like it. Maybe it's just my personal preference.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2006
1172 posts
1687 upvotes
not bad deal at ~40c/pod

I do see these (at least in GVRD) going on sale sometimes at Superstore etc. It's pretty run of the mill coffee.
[OP]
Nov 7, 2006
549 posts
682 upvotes
Toronto
rancid82 wrote: Glad you had a positive experience with these pods. I grabbed a box awhile back and the new Keurig K supreme machine at work did not play well with these pods. The multiple puncture points that were suppose to be pierced failed. Decent coffee when it does work though. Also, same experience with the silt. The old single puncture machine worked well. Not sure what happened with mine.
We have the old single puncture Keurig machine, so didn't run into any issues. Our favourite brands right now are between McCafe & Nabob (a close second), but with the former, there is the added hassle of separating the filter/grounds from the container.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2008
2602 posts
2028 upvotes
GTA
XeniaOnatopp wrote: I tried the Nabob once - didn't like it. Maybe it's just my personal preference.
You are not the only one. There are many of us who don't the the Nabob pods.

For those who have not tried the Nabob pods, I would suggest to skip it. However, do whatever you want.
¸

- - - - -
;)
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
16798 posts
3312 upvotes
GTA
i don't like the nabob brand either but at 40 cents i'll give this a try
[OP]
Nov 7, 2006
549 posts
682 upvotes
Toronto
Received the Colombian Nabob pods yesterday, and flavour-wise I would say it's about on par with the Organic Reserve & Breakfast Blend. Expiry date is April 2022, so no issues there, but 1 of the boxes has nasty slash across it (Friday the 13th ? Face Screaming In Fear) but luckily the 2 plastic bags containing the pods were not damaged Smiling Face With Open Mouth. Will be ordering more at this price.
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
16798 posts
3312 upvotes
GTA
tried two cups so far
i like the packaging more than the coffee
might seriously consider buying this again for the sustainable (less wasteful) packaging than the coffee

the coffee is ok. nothing to write home about. i suppose at 40 cents each i should even say it's pretty good.

it's probably the kind of coffee i would stock at the office coffee machine if i were buying the coffee.

again the packaging just makes a lot more sense than the official k cups.
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2004
15178 posts
6241 upvotes
RFD
Correct me if I'm wrong but not all municipal recycling and waste management facilities are able to process certain plastics including certain compostable bags/pods. CBC did a segment on this a while back. The last time I checked, Ottawa is the only one that I have read which will accept polystyrene (#6 plastic), which this Nabob compostable pod is made of. Most likely it's gonna end up in the landfill because these facilities don't have the machinery to process them. A lot of these compostable products I've read are buzz words. Hopefully I'm wrong.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
24364 posts
31282 upvotes
radeonboy wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong but not all municipal recycling and waste management facilities are able to process certain plastics including certain compostable bags. CBC did a segment on this a while back. The last time I checked, Ottawa is the only one that I have read which will accept polystyrene (#6 plastic), which this Nabob compostable pod is made of. Most likely it's gonna end up in the landfill because these facilities don't have the machinery to process them. A lot of these compostable products I've read are buzz words.
Please stop worrying about this.

Most non-recyclable plastics breakdown over centuries at most, likely sooner. That may sound like a long time but it's not (on time scales that matter), there are far more salient concerns in life. The amount of plastic contained in a trillion pods is insignificant to Earth's landfills.

Furthermore, this is not an ecosystem threat.

Please don't FUD in this thread.
[OP]
Nov 7, 2006
549 posts
682 upvotes
Toronto
Price now reduced to $10.98 or $0.37 per pod. Will be stocking up more at this price Smiling Face With Open Mouth.
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
16798 posts
3312 upvotes
GTA
jin628 wrote: Price now reduced to $10.98 or $0.37 per pod. Will be stocking up more at this price Smiling Face With Open Mouth.
update original post pls?
[OP]
Nov 7, 2006
549 posts
682 upvotes
Toronto
actng wrote: update original post pls?
I couldn't figure out how to change the title. Thanks for the tip about updating the original post.
Dec 11, 2018
78 posts
28 upvotes
jin628 wrote: Received the Colombian Nabob pods yesterday, and flavour-wise I would say it's about on par with the Organic Reserve & Breakfast Blend. Expiry date is April 2022, so no issues there, but 1 of the boxes has nasty slash across it (Friday the 13th ? Face Screaming In Fear) but luckily the 2 plastic bags containing the pods were not damaged Smiling Face With Open Mouth. Will be ordering more at this price.
Thanks for the update on expiry date. I made a big mistake with a stock up in the past only to see that the expiry was 2 months away. Lesson learned.
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
16798 posts
3312 upvotes
GTA
wfejk3 wrote: Thanks for the update on expiry date. I made a big mistake with a stock up in the past only to see that the expiry was 2 months away. Lesson learned.
best before ≠ worst after :)