Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Nesco Jerky Dehydrator Kit - $56

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 12th, 2020 10:44 pm
Deal Addict
May 14, 2005
2721 posts
1788 upvotes
Markham
fightbriz wrote: Do you think the nesco or Hamilton is better for the same price?

And how many lbs does the Hamilton make per batch?

How much did you pay for your current Excalibur 9 tray?

Also would you recommend starting off with nesco/Hamilton and then upgrading like you, or just buy the one you have? I really love jerky so I'd like to make a lot at a time and definitely want to make my own. Basically what I'm asking is, is there any point to starting small and end up having to buy the better one anyway, is it better to not waste $60 and rather put it towards the good one?

Does the jerky from your Hamilton taste the same as Excalibur?

The other thing is, does the homemade jerky taste as good as the commercial stuff, or will it always have a sort of "homemade taste that never approaches the store bought stuff and is never going to be as good"?

Thanks for your pics and sorry for the ton of questions!
Do I recommend getting the smaller unit? It is hard to say. Again, it depends on how much jerky you and your family eat. I feel that both small or bigger unit uses the exact same amount of electricity. The Hamilton beach one is still a good unit.

The Hamilton beach can do about 3lbs of raw flank steak, I don’t have the nesco so I can’t comment

I paid $150 for a brand new Excalibur 9 tray from Facebook marketplace. Almost bought the 4 tray Excalibur for $200 and was on the fence about the 9 tray $330+tax. Worth every penny.

As for taste, I have a few friends that loves jerky and they all said my stuff taste a lot better than the store bought ones(hopefully they are telling the truth lol, I certainly feel that way)
Images
  • 4B5A9554-8D1E-409B-8263-CB6463BCB9C8.jpeg
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2007
2268 posts
373 upvotes
Toronto
andyyuen wrote: haha :)
i started off with Maangchi's recipe

that was pretty good already and then i made my own adjustments

for example, friends that are celiac, i would use gluten free soya sauce
halal beef for friends that are muslim
for my own taste, i added more honey than her recipe
i also tried adding a splash of apple juice or other fruit juice.. not a lot, just splash in the marinate because a lot of store bought asian beef jerky has some type of juice in it.. give maangchi's recipe a try and then do whatever adjustment you need afterwards
don't do too much sesami, gets stuck between your teeth

note: i don't add any curing salt.. the dehydrator is able to go up to 73-74 celcius (i believe 71-72 celcius for 5 minutes is the recommedation to destroy spores that causes botulism)
as for length of time, some friends like 6 hours (softer), some friends like 8 hours (hard and crunchy, more chewy)
also, friends and family kill the entire 8 pounds in 2-3 days.. there is no time for bugs to grow LOL
Thank you
And Thanks OP
Deal Addict
May 14, 2005
2721 posts
1788 upvotes
Markham
Actually did a batch last night. About 8 lbs
8 hrs later(before and after pictures)
I didn't weigh what the post dehydration weigh was, ate some already

Halal and gluten free. (Not a lifestyle choice gluten free person, an actual allergy)
Images
  • 8542296A-8DA1-4389-8C41-C8BC25B430BA.jpeg
  • 3267D194-6D5B-45E5-9108-90238B3775D4.jpeg
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2014
2363 posts
3541 upvotes
andyyuen wrote: Actually did a batch last night. About 8 lbs
8 hrs later(before and after pictures)
I didn't weigh what the post dehydration weigh was, ate some already

Halal and gluten free. (Not a lifestyle choice gluten free person, an actual allergy)
What's the material of the screen on the trays for your Excalibur? Polymer, metal, or polymer coated metal? Thanks.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2005
2721 posts
1788 upvotes
Markham
gshrfd wrote: What's the material of the screen on the trays for your Excalibur? Polymer, metal, or polymer coated metal? Thanks.
Some sort of plastic/polymer. I don't think there is metal inside.
Nov 17, 2019
38 posts
9 upvotes
I second the use of eye of round, I make alot of beef jerky on my Bradley smoker and it always turns out great, just try to cut against the grain of the meat and it will be more tender. I've stopped using marinades and sauces/seasonings on 99% of the jerky I make. Ive just been curing the meat in water with the appropriate amount of cure salt and a couple tablespoons of kosher salt for two days then toss the meat in a bowl with a ton of black pepper to get it coated evenly. The cost of marinade ingredients can really add up and black pepper is so cheap from Costco. I much prefer the simpler taste and everyone that's ever tried it agrees

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)