Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

NETGEAR 16-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch - $68.93

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 6th, 2019 9:30 am
Jan 17, 2017
276 posts
166 upvotes
the GS316 is also on sale at Newegg.ca for $69.99.......
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
25986 posts
10378 upvotes
The Source has the DLink 5 port Gigabit switch on for $20 + tax. Bought one this morning...
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
8718 posts
1069 upvotes
Scarborough
hainkurt wrote: I guess 4+1 port one is $19.99 - $24.99 not the 8 port one...

$29.99 - NETGEAR GS305 SOHO Ethernet Unmanaged 5-Port Gigabit Switch
It was a while ago, here is my order

NETGEAR 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch, Desktop, Internet Splitter, Sturdy Metal, Fanless, Plug-and-Play (GS308)

Ordered on August 24, 2017 Order# 701-392##27-262#62#

Amazon.com.ca, Inc.
GST/HST - 85730 5932 RT0001
QST - 1201187016 TQ0001

Invoice & Printable documents
Shipping Address

Payment Method
MasterCard **** ####
Order Summary
Item(s) Subtotal:
CDN$ 19.99
Shipping & Handling:
CDN$ 0.00
Total before tax:
CDN$ 19.99
Estimated GST/HST:
CDN$ 2.60
Estimated PST/RST/QST:
CDN$ 0.00
Grand Total:
CDN$ 22.59
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2014
1513 posts
2127 upvotes
BC
I have two of these - one new one that was $69.99 (Amazon’s regular price IMO) and one Amazon Warehouse one that cost me $45, with the added bonus that Amazon had accidentally put an uponened 1TB external 2.5” WD hard drive inside the box by mistake (instead of the power supply, which I replaced for $7 Face With Tears Of Joy).
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
2087 posts
1134 upvotes
Alberta
Man people still buy these, while I have gigabit managed switches with vlans, many more ports on Kijiji for half the price (Calgary). I recommend you check out Kijiji before buying unmanaged switches.
Oct 12, 2015
428 posts
507 upvotes
Ottawa
Can someone give me some use cases for having switches in the home, especially with such high capacity? PM me if you're afraid of spamming the thread.

I too have an Ethernet port in every room. Currently utilizing just the one upstairs by plugging in a rudimentary ASUS router for stronger wireless on the 1st and 2nd floor, which is connected to a Rogers modem in the basement configured as bridge mode.

I am a network engineer without an imagination or "life". Whenever I see these kind of deals and the excitement in the thread I feel like I'm missing out!
Oct 4, 2008
792 posts
314 upvotes
Calgary Alberta
The ERA recyclers had a couple D-Link DGS-1016D, I got the pair for $26.50 Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes

But now I got a spare one that I don't need !
Oh well, I guess I can hang onto it if the first one croaks.

Use case: living room. I've got the PC; then I've got an Android box. Then I have PS4, Xbox 360, PS3, and a home theater PC ha ha. And then I've got the Marantz, which wants to update online for some reason. Then I've also got two NAS boxes that I put in the living room. That adds up to 9 so far, one more port for the single line that goes downstairs to the router. Anyway I thought, dang that's a crazy amount of connections. I keep the NAS boxes upstairs because if the house catches fire (from too much ethernet) then I can spare a second & snag em on the way out. The rest of the stuff can burn, I guess; or if it's burning at least I salvaged something.
-
Oct 12, 2015
428 posts
507 upvotes
Ottawa
Grunchy wrote: Use case: living room. I've got the PC; then I've got an Android box. Then I have PS4, Xbox 360, PS3, and a home theater PC ha ha. And then I've got the Marantz, which wants to update online for some reason. Then I've also got two NAS boxes that I put in the living room. That adds up to 9 so far, one more port for the single line that goes downstairs to the router. Anyway I thought, dang that's a crazy amount of connections. I keep the NAS boxes upstairs because if the house catches fire (from too much ethernet) then I can spare a second & snag em on the way out. The rest of the stuff can burn, I guess; or if it's burning at least I salvaged something.
Thank you for that! This confirms I have no imagination and no life.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41796 posts
30054 upvotes
Center of Universe
sajjad365 wrote: Thank you for that! This confirms I have no imagination and no life.
It confirms your existing setup is working perfectly fine :)
Oct 4, 2008
792 posts
314 upvotes
Calgary Alberta
sajjad365 wrote: Thank you for that! This confirms I have no imagination and no life.
Ha ha, wait a minute, who's overrun with consoles and whatever and who's out living life? Face With Tears Of Joy
I prefer the wired ethernet to wireless: connection never drops or slows, info isn't susceptible to "sniffers". Plus I got the 16 port device instead of 12 port because 1. cheap 2nd hand and 2. plenty of room for expansion !!
Plus you know what, regular switches work just fine with power over ethernet, you just get a cheapie POE injector and you can put whatever voltage you want. I'm considering to get some surveillance dome cameras for the soffit outside, perhaps if spring ever springs !
-
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
blisterd_nuts wrote: Looking for a switch but not sure if I should future proof myself with more ports or if i should get a "managed" switch. Any suggestions?
More ports?
For sure.

"Managed"?
Probably not. Don't get me wrong, I'm usually the first one to recommend VLANs (because they are awesome) but most people don't really need it.
As for the other features of a managed switch, you also probably don't need those.
vkizzle wrote: Wouldn't a managed switch would be 5x the cost?
Nah. They're fairly cheap. Usually double.
blisterd_nuts wrote: The reason why i'm asking is I don't mind spending a little more if I can future proof myself and not sure if a managed switch comes with any cyber security (I guess i'll do a bit more research).
If by cyber security you mean threats from the internet, then no.

However, the plug and play opportunity along with the good price sounds like this is a no brainer purchase.
Plug and play usually does it for most people.
A managed switch is only really good if you want to run multiple "networks" over the same physical cabling.
This is actually quite useful even at home if you have advanced networking needs.

eblend wrote: Man people still buy these, while I have gigabit managed switches with vlans, many more ports on Kijiji for half the price (Calgary). I recommend you check out Kijiji before buying unmanaged switches.
eBay too.
I've picked up a bunch of managed 24 port gigabits for about this price.
Keep in mind they're probably deafeningly loud for most people.
sajjad365 wrote: Can someone give me some use cases for having switches in the home, especially with such high capacity?
I'm definitely not a typical use case, but I have computers and stuff spread all around my place.

My office for example has a rack in it. There's a half dozen servers all with IPMI. There's 12 ports already.
Toss in a couple UPSes that are also connected is another 2. One uplink would be 15. Since this is just my rack, my desk also has a 16 which takes an uplink as well.

On my desk I have a gaming computer, a workstation, 2-3 laptops, and a SFF. Oh and a UPS.
This usually takes up at least 5 or 6 ports plus an uplink.

In my bedroom, I have an HTPC, Steam Link, IPTV box, and a wall mounted computer. Can't forget a UPS.
There's 5. Plus an uplink means 6/8 ports used. I'll occasionally do repairs in there too, so there's another 1 or 2.

Living room has a bunch of consoles, an HTPC, a print server, an rPi, an AP, and the obligatory UPS.
There's a 24 there and it's at least half full.

Wiring closet has a managed 24. This connects all the home run ethernet.
Modems are on this too. This way I can VLAN them to my rack.
And of course a UPS.
I am a network engineer without an imagination or "life". Whenever I see these kind of deals and the excitement in the thread I feel like I'm missing out!
Probably a good thing because stuff is expensive.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41796 posts
30054 upvotes
Center of Universe
death_hawk wrote:
Nah. They're fairly cheap. Usually double.
What makes those Meraki managed switches so expensive...USD $500?
I got one for free with a 3yr license though my company, as it is only an 8 port I haven't connected it yet.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
2321 posts
1676 upvotes
SW Ontario
If you watch Ebay or Kijiji, you can often pick up great deals on Cisco Business Class unmanaged switches. I picked up a 28 port unit shipped and all for $80 and it was like new.
I'd rather be outdoors camping, kayaking, and mountain biking ...
Dec 5, 2017
266 posts
198 upvotes
Calgary
No Time machine, but I managed to get the 24 port version (GS324) on Amazon for $99 about 2 months ago. So if you're looking for more ports, you might want to wait for it to go on sale again, otherwise $69 for the 12 port is not a bad deal.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: What makes those Meraki managed switches so expensive...USD $500?
To be fair, actual enterprise switches go WAY up from there, like a couple extra zeros more.
But those are usually the things holding up the internet.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
JonahL wrote: No Time machine, but I managed to get the 24 port version (GS324) on Amazon for $99 about 2 months ago. So if you're looking for more ports, you might want to wait for it to go on sale again, otherwise $69 for the 12 port is not a bad deal.
Technically pretty close to the same cost per port so unless you need 24 ports this is probably better for most people.
Also this is 16 and not 12.
Dec 5, 2017
266 posts
198 upvotes
Calgary
death_hawk wrote: Technically pretty close to the same cost per port so unless you need 24 ports this is probably better for most people.
Also this is 16 and not 12.
Thanks for pointing that out. So yeah for 16 ports, I'd say this is good enough for most people. I went with 24 port, just because who knows how much sh*t i'll have hooked up in the future. :)
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38389 posts
12010 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I have a 48 port Cisco PoE switch. Multiple Ethernet in every room in the house. I strongly believe that PoE will be powering a lot of IoT devices in the future. I currently have 27 devices plugged in constantly and none of them are consoles or TV boxes. But I do have several servers. 5 NAS units with a total storage of 300 Terabytes

It’s really for tinkering but I have no time to do anything right now. Everything is a work in progress. One of my challenges is to pull the GBIC out of my Home Hub 3000 and insert it directly into my switch, tag the uplink port to a VLAN and by pass the Home Hub 3000 using pfSense as a router

I have a ton of enterprise network gear. All my stuff is fully managed. I just retired a 48 port D-Link PoE switch that cost me $2800 when I purchased it new 5 years ago. Still sells for $2400 today and yes, it sounds like a jet engine when you power it on initially. Like @death_hawk I have a 42u rack with UPS’ connected to everything with a power cord. Computer in almost every room, all hard wired.

Will need a second 48 port switch to finish wiring the rest of the house
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
Gee wrote: PoE
How did I forget about PoE?

I also have a few IP phones kicking around.

I'm cheap and only have a couple of low end "consumer" Netgears since I can't justify spending literally thousands on a full sized PoE.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38389 posts
12010 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
death_hawk wrote: How did I forget about PoE?

I also have a few IP phones kicking around.

I'm cheap and only have a couple of low end "consumer" Netgears since I can't justify spending literally thousands on a full sized PoE.
I haven’t connected my Asteristk server yet and I am not sure if I really need it. I have one Cisco IP phone connected in my office and I rarely use it since everyone is on a cell phone

The reason why I retired my D-Link is because it is only 802.11af and my access points require more power and I had to uprgrade to 802.11at. I guess I could have used two Ethernet ports to power the access points, but I just figured it would be easier to upgrade

I have maybe two Pi units running and both are using a NavoLabs PoE hat