[Amazon.ca] NETGEAR 16-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (GS316) - $54.99

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 30th, 2019 9:18 am
[OP]
Jan 2, 2017
398 posts
555 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] NETGEAR 16-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (GS316) - $54.99

Decent price for 16 ports I think. Netgear is a great and reputable company with switches too.
22 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2006
3244 posts
592 upvotes
Winnipeg
FYI, it was on sale a couple of months ago for $39.99, bought it but I returned it for replacement. However, the replacement was still the same...

I was using a newly bought refurbished Dlink 16 port switch (unmanaged) and I have around 12 IP cameras, 5 desktops, TVs, etc. all wired... everything was working ok back then...

When I saw the $39.99 16-port Netgear, I bought it and returned the Dlink (I had it for 3 weeks and was still in the return window)..

Long story short, with the Netgear, some of my cameras were not discoverable by my NVRs. I have two NVRs, and 1st NVR can only see 4 cameras, 2nd NVR can only see 6.... the missing 2 cameras can be seen by the 1st NVR, so it definitely is not an issue of wiring or router not being able to see the camera... My guess, is that the Netgear is not switching properly... the first Netgear worked a couple days as I was still seeing all my cameras, but lost the cameras after that... the replacement Amazon sent didn't work properly on first try... When I switched back to Dlink, all my cameras worked again...

Buyer beware, specially if you have IP cameras

(I have a couple of 8-port netgears, so I think it's just these cheapo 16-port that has the issue)
Nov 22, 2017
166 posts
242 upvotes
Montreal
Buy used managed Cisco switch from ebay for 50 cad.
Feb 1, 2009
77 posts
51 upvotes
Toronto
I can't even fathom how I could make use of 16 ethernet ports. Curious to know how some of you are making use of all the ports?
Jan 1, 2015
584 posts
467 upvotes
Toronto, ON
newdad123 wrote: I can't even fathom how I could make use of 16 ethernet ports. Curious to know how some of you are making use of all the ports?
It's actually very easy in this era.

I have a 16 port switch in my basement where my modem and router is at.

From there, I have RJ45 terminated cat5e cables fished up to every room in my house. Every single room has LAN access via ethernet shall they wish to use. Additionally, each floor has a Ubiquiti wireless access point so that's another 3 ports taken up.

I'm also working on adding some surveillance cameras which I am going to connect ethernet to (I don't trust wifi or cloud based solutions for surveillance)
Oct 30, 2007
45 posts
21 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
newdad123 wrote: I can't even fathom how I could make use of 16 ethernet ports. Curious to know how some of you are making use of all the ports?
Currently have a full 8 port model: router, computer, NAS/home server, powerline ethernet (which goes to a 5-port at the TV), ethernet to a 4-port in the furnace room, laser printer, inkjet printer, IP camera.
Jul 15, 2003
420 posts
178 upvotes
I got this one a few months back, to replace an 8 port that was full

NAS
Plex Server
Pi-hole
TV
Wi-Fi Router
Office jack
Living room jack
2 x bedroom jacks
Network attached drive
Owncloud server
Utility PC

Plus I moved the 8 port into the office to let me keep my work laptop up and running, as well as be able to have a couple of other old pcs that I play with hooked up at any given time
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2724 posts
903 upvotes
Windsor
Main PC, Roku, SmartThings, Hue, VOIP adapter, TV, NAS, Wifi AP ... then I need to feed the thing with a signal; 9 ports :). It's pretty easy to use more than 8 ports, especially if you have cameras (but then you'd probably be looking at a PoE switch, but still ..).
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Sep 14, 2018
7 posts
2 upvotes
Been using one for a while in my house. Bought a second when it went on sale for 39.99. In the end I want to plug every room into the switch and all the devices.
Images
  • WhatsApp Image 2019-11-04 at 11.47.10 AM.jpeg
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2010
1550 posts
2865 upvotes
Toronto
Just a heads up. This has been sitting at $59.99 for a while. Matching with the TP-Link switch.

I'm waiting for a steeper drop. I currently have the 8-port Netgear. It's full. But it's not a rush.

Also wish the 16 ports were stacked. 2x8 would be more compact. It just seems like a long unit.
Sep 19, 2007
404 posts
267 upvotes
Vancouver
rajsan96 wrote: Been using one for a while in my house. Bought a second when it went on sale for 39.99. In the end I want to plug every room into the switch and all the devices.
If you have that many devices then you could probably use VLANs
Aug 19, 2012
911 posts
136 upvotes
mummonth wrote: Buy used managed Cisco switch from ebay for 50 cad.
Whats a good model to buy? I would like something I can create VLANs with
Sep 14, 2018
7 posts
2 upvotes
BlueFyre wrote: If you have that many devices then you could probably use VLANs
Probably will since the setup supports it. Still learning as I go :)
Sep 19, 2007
404 posts
267 upvotes
Vancouver
rajsan96 wrote: Probably will since the setup supports it. Still learning as I go :)
fwiw the switch listed won't actually do VLANS. But it's not too hard to learn if you have the right hardware