Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] NETGEAR 16-Port Gigabit Metal Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (GS316) - $54.99

[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2010
1460 posts
2639 upvotes
Toronto

[Amazon.ca] NETGEAR 16-Port Gigabit Metal Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (GS316) - $54.99

NETGEAR 16-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (GS316) - $54.99

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01AX8XHRQ/?co ... dp_it&th=1

So I've been watching this switch for a while because I put a 8-port switch behind my gaming tv, and it's full. Is 16 ports overkill? Yes. But, I really don't want to link up two 8-port switches and lose two power outlets.

CCC says that it drops to this price often. But... I've been following it for a while, and hadn't noticed. Maybe I've just been focusing more on the 5-port and 8-port switches. So maybe I really did just not notice. But in case you're in the same boat as me, I figured I'd let people know it's back down to $54.99.
10 replies
May 3, 2018
34 posts
30 upvotes
With so many devices in my living room, I have been looking for an inexpensive gigabit Ethernet switch with 8+ ports, but having the ports and LEDs in the front like this Netgear is a deal killer for me, since it means that either I have the network status LEDs pointed away from me so that I can't see them, or I have a lot of ugly network cables facing me in my entertainment unit.
Nov 16, 2016
940 posts
852 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
As a legit question, why do people buy such premium switches? I just request a cheap 5 port switch from Telus whenever I need one and it's a gigabit one - so what's the point?
The Biggest of the Big has arrived!
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2003
3476 posts
1571 upvotes
Bigboy16 wrote: As a legit question, why do people buy such premium switches? I just request a cheap 5 port switch from Telus whenever I need one and it's a gigabit one - so what's the point?
I wouldn't exactly call this a premium switch.
Apr 15, 2005
433 posts
279 upvotes
Brossard, QC
bought it for 39$ july 3 2019. it's just a switch and it works. i'd wait for cheaper
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2003
9835 posts
5860 upvotes
Bigboy16 wrote: As a legit question, why do people buy such premium switches? I just request a cheap 5 port switch from Telus whenever I need one and it's a gigabit one - so what's the point?
Home labs, non PoE cams...etc. ...what do you mean by premium switches?
Dec 27, 2008
335 posts
210 upvotes
alicia454 wrote: With so many devices in my living room, I have been looking for an inexpensive gigabit Ethernet switch with 8+ ports, but having the ports and LEDs in the front like this Netgear is a deal killer for me, since it means that either I have the network status LEDs pointed away from me so that I can't see them, or I have a lot of ugly network cables facing me in my entertainment unit.
You can easily hang this on the back of some piece of furniture. There are two holes on the back of the device so you can hook it securely onto screw heads. You can also use double-sided tape. Having a 16-port switch visible on a surface takes up a lot of usable space so it's a pretty bad idea IMO regardless of the LEDs.
As others have mentioned there's nothing premium about this. It's a consumer-grade switch and there's nothing special about it.
As for why people would get this, it's pretty cheap and I own it. Also not everyone is with Telus. IDK if my ISP would even give me a switch if I needed one but if they did I'd worry about potential strings attached.
Last edited by djzapz on May 3rd, 2020 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 15, 2004
436 posts
117 upvotes
Toronto
Can anybody suggest a business grade switch I can use for a home network?
Dec 11, 2008
308 posts
181 upvotes
Toronto
EvolutionIV wrote: Can anybody suggest a business grade switch I can use for a home network?
What exactly do you mean by that?

Do you want a managed switch that you want to use at home?
I'd rather spend the money on a good router first.

Rogers and Bell give you very basic router functions. If you're concerned about security, start there first.
Asus makes good routers and I'd start with an RT-AC68U or better. Make sure that it's on the list for Merlin support, to give you added functionality.

https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/

If you want more control over every aspect of the router and you know your way around programming router related options, you can take a look at DD-WRT.
They also have a database of supported routers from various manufacturers.

https://dd-wrt.com/
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
2403 posts
2271 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
alicia454 wrote: With so many devices in my living room, I have been looking for an inexpensive gigabit Ethernet switch with 8+ ports, but having the ports and LEDs in the front like this Netgear is a deal killer for me, since it means that either I have the network status LEDs pointed away from me so that I can't see them, or I have a lot of ugly network cables facing me in my entertainment unit.
All my stuff in the TV cabinet gets either tape over the LED's or a tinted sticker (if I need to be able to tell if the light is on/off without being distracted by it). Made a huge difference when watching TV at night.

That said once you get to larger than 8 ports its pretty hard to find one that isn't a light show when its running. At that point throw it in a drawer/cabinet or like the other poster said use double-sided tape to attach it to the back of the furniture/wall.
Oct 13, 2003
47 posts
17 upvotes
Brampton
mcheddadi wrote: bought it for 39$ july 3 2019. it's just a switch and it works. i'd wait for cheaper
Overpriced, compared to 8 port. Shouldn't be double the price but closer to $30+ range.