Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged PoE Switch (GS305P) - with 4 x PoE @ 55W, Desktop, Sturdy Metal Fanless Housin

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 28th, 2020 8:11 pm
[OP]
Jan 24, 2013
840 posts
3523 upvotes
MILTON

[Amazon.ca] NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged PoE Switch (GS305P) - with 4 x PoE @ 55W, Desktop, Sturdy Metal Fanless Housin

• VERSATILE MOUNTING OPTIONS: Supports desktop or wall mount placement
  • SILENT OPERATION: The fanless design means zero added noise wherever its located, making it ideal for noise-sensitive environments
  • PEACE OF MIND WARRANTY – Covered by an industry-leading 3-year limited hardware warranty
  • BUILT TO LAST: Every NETGEAR Network switch is rigorously tested for reliability, quality, and performance. DC Input: 48V / 1.25A
  • ETHERNET PORT CONFIGURATION: 5 Gigabit ports
  • POWER-OVER-ETHERNET: 4 PoE ports with 55W total power budget
  • PLUG-AND-PLAY: Simple set up with no software to install or configuration needed
  • ENERGY EFFICIENT: Designed to optimize power usage lowering its cost to operate. Most models are compliant with IEEE802.3az Energy Efficient Ethernet mode.
21 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2753 posts
2350 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I use this to drive 4 X PoE Security camera, work very well.
Bright side of RFD: 4 X Koodo $40/8GB plan
Dark side of RFD: Tons of stuff that I don't need but still got them because of RFD
Nov 1, 2008
603 posts
379 upvotes
Canada
Agree. It's not a Super Hot deal but a pretty good one for a 5-port PoE switch
==================================================
Aug 21, 2013
178 posts
156 upvotes
Kitchener
I know this doesnt have any management functions but would it support passing through VLAN tags? ie if using it with ubiquiti APs?
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2007
1692 posts
487 upvotes
For those who don't know the Power Over Ethernet ("PoE") is the special feature here. Like the name suggests it provides power (and data) over ethernet cables to devices that require PoE, like many security cameras and a multitude of other devices.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
2549 posts
2424 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Thanks OP, parents were looking for one to power their tp link AP's.
KevlarCoated wrote: I know this doesnt have any management functions but would it support passing through VLAN tags? ie if using it with ubiquiti APs?
One of the reviews mentioned it doesn't support ubiquity ap's not sure if 100% true.
Sep 19, 2017
908 posts
728 upvotes
Moncton
Any first hand experience with the power limitations on this particular unit? Is 4 ports at a max of 55W (vice the other unit that's 85W) going to limit it if a person wanted to use it for 2 or 3 APs in an attic?
Koodo 8GB UL T&T @ $45 (ported in from Public Mobile)
ASUS Zenfone 3 Zoom @ $299 / Certified Pre-Owned Huawei P20 @ $240 / Huawei P20 + Huawei Watch GT @ $240
Mar 8, 2004
832 posts
356 upvotes
Barrie
sswilson wrote: Any first hand experience with the power limitations on this particular unit? Is 4 ports at a max of 55W (vice the other unit that's 85W) going to limit it if a person wanted to use it for 2 or 3 APs in an attic?

APs don’t use that much power. Even the 55W is overkill. If you’re looking at the ubiquity line up. They all use 10W or less unless using pass through or the EDU AP specifically. That one uses 20W because of the PA ability.

https://dl.ubnt.com/datasheets/unifi/Un ... APs_DS.pdf
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2007
3681 posts
2301 upvotes
Ontario
I wish UBNT would get cheaper ones. They have a new one but I think it's still closer to 100 and not out of early?
---
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2007
3681 posts
2301 upvotes
Ontario
alpovs wrote: How is this better than the TP-Link one $59.99 regular price? https://www.amazon.ca/TP-Link-TL-SG1005 ... B076HZFY3F
I think the netgear one is az for the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy-Efficient_Ethernet feature. I can be wrong and I never tested them side by side but the az model suppose to help reduce power. I found the af models to kind of waste power for fun sadly... Not sure thought I have limited experience but some of them just plugging them in and not using any plugs at all can heat up stupidly. I should run some consumption tests.
---
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2007
3681 posts
2301 upvotes
Ontario
TheDoctah wrote: APs don’t use that much power. Even the 55W is overkill. If you’re looking at the ubiquity line up. They all use 10W or less unless using pass through or the EDU AP specifically. That one uses 20W because of the PA ability.

https://dl.ubnt.com/datasheets/unifi/Un ... APs_DS.pdf
Depends on the AP stuff too ;) I got some UBNT stuff that would burn that alive then again their not the passive PoE haha. But yeah most consumer grade and even decent office grade stuff would not need anything too powerful. That being said these are meant for future usage like the smarter smarter power eating VoIP Phones, Even TV's though might not be enough here, etc.

But yeah should be fine for 99% of the AP users but keep in mind these are Passive I think the term is most of UBNT stuff has been the 24v their now finally moving away with that and going PoE+ and such.
---