Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (GS305) - $19.99 (Limited Time Deal)

[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
11465 posts
8312 upvotes
Oil Country

[Amazon.ca] NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (GS305) - $19.99 (Limited Time Deal)

Received an alert that the NetGear GS305 5-port gigabit switch was on sale for $19.99. This is the all-time low on Amazon, and it's been this price a bunch of times before, most recently in October 2019.
"Retail is for suckers."
- the K-Man
51 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2787 posts
2388 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Both TP-Link and Netgear are good switch, I have both. Mostly 5 port to expend number of port at home office, TV cabinet, etc.

Just make sure you stay away from D-Link.
Bright side of RFD: 4 X Koodo $40/8GB plan
Dark side of RFD: Tons of stuff that I don't need but still got them because of RFD
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2005
1149 posts
601 upvotes
New to this home networking, but realized I should have put Ethernet in the bedrooms instead of cable lol!

What would the benefit of going with the 8 other than 3 extra ports?

What is QoS and is it relevant for basic internet browsing or gaming. No file sharing at this point.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2007
3953 posts
438 upvotes
Thanks! Ordered one :)
Proud member of SENS Army
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2008
3369 posts
713 upvotes
Toronto
I see the tp link 5 port plastic one for about $17 is there any concern for plastic vs metal?
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2010
1658 posts
3087 upvotes
Toronto
Superman_2099 wrote: New to this home networking, but realized I should have put Ethernet in the bedrooms instead of cable lol!

What would the benefit of going with the 8 other than 3 extra ports?

What is QoS and is it relevant for basic internet browsing or gaming. No file sharing at this point.
Depends on where you're putting it. I have several of these in my house. I have an 8 ports in my entertainment centre (living room), and it's full. Between the TV, NVidia Shield, HTPC, Apple TV, etc... It gets filled up easy. I also have the 5 port, and keep it by my computer.

Just remember, it may be 5 ports, but one is used for connecting to the network. So it's really 4. And once you plug in your main device, and one more thing, it's already getting tight.
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2010
1658 posts
3087 upvotes
Toronto
fudge_u wrote: Received an alert that the NetGear GS305 5-port gigabit switch was on sale for $19.99. This is the all-time low on Amazon, and it's been this price a bunch of times before, most recently in October 2019.
The 5-port is a good little box. And at $19.99 can't go wrong.

For anyone curious for historical purposes, the 8-port of the same model often drops to $24.99, and Prime Day was $21.99.
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07PFYM5MZ/?co ... _lig_dp_it
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
3718 posts
975 upvotes
undacova wrote: I see the tp link 5 port plastic one for about $17 is there any concern for plastic vs metal?
I would say not a concern for home use. More of a concern is the placement of the ethernet ports and power ports. If its all on the same side its better than opposite sides.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2007
3790 posts
3138 upvotes
No Bum Deals
These are bullet proof. I have a few dotted around home and businesses. Never an issue. The metal chassis is a good heat mover.
🢂 2x Koodo 35/10 - 1x Koodo 35/7 - 1x Fido Data 0/3 🢀
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2007
3868 posts
1393 upvotes
Montreal
coilz wrote: I would say not a concern for home use. More of a concern is the placement of the ethernet ports and power ports. If its all on the same side its better than opposite sides.
Why ... just for cable management, or some other reason?
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2008
3369 posts
713 upvotes
Toronto
coilz wrote: I would say not a concern for home use. More of a concern is the placement of the ethernet ports and power ports. If its all on the same side its better than opposite sides.
Seems like the metal ones have the power on the opposite sides but the plastic ones have power on the same side
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
3718 posts
975 upvotes
GT!! wrote: Why ... just for cable management, or some other reason?
Yeah exactly for cable management .. at least for my case
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
10030 posts
2456 upvotes
Winnipeg
cheapshopper wrote: Both TP-Link and Netgear are good switch, I have both. Mostly 5 port to expend number of port at home office, TV cabinet, etc.

whats wrong with the dlnk switch. Running an 8 port GO-SW-8G for over year now 24/7. No issues at all.
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2006
3266 posts
610 upvotes
Winnipeg
cheapshopper wrote: Both TP-Link and Netgear are good switch, I have both. Mostly 5 port to expend number of port at home office, TV cabinet, etc.

I bought a refurb dlink 16 port switch, and then Netgear had a sale on their 16 port switch for $39.99 (metal chassis)... I have 12 IP cameras, and lots of devices (around 50) and the 16-port is the main switch that goes around the house (connected to 8-port and 5-port satellite switches)... When I used the D-Link, it was working fine.... but when I replaced it with the Netgear, some of my IP cameras dropped off... I returned the Netgear to Amazon and they sent me a replacement 16-port switch, and it was worse than the first switch (the first switch worked for a couple of days before my cameras slowly dropped off).. the second switch was consistently not finding the same cameras that the first one dropped...

I've returned the Netgear 16-port for a refund and went back to the D-Link 16 port (which is a plastic version vs. the metal Netgear) and my cameras came back no problem...

I have a couple of Netgear 8 and 5 ports and they worked fine though, but they are satellite switches and not the main switch so I'm guessing that the netgear unmanaged switches with more than 8 ports are using cheap hardware that cannot handle complex network traffic...
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2787 posts
2388 upvotes
Richmond Hill
lead wrote: whats wrong with the dlnk switch. Running an 8 port GO-SW-8G for over year now 24/7. No issues at all.
I have many 5 port switch in the house, mainly as Satellite switch. I got them over long period of time, basically add 1 when I need it.
NetGear and TP-Link, both never have any issue.
Dlink: I buy 1, it run much slower than other Satellite switch. I swape out with TP_link and no issue, (With same connected device), so I know is the switch. Return it and buy TP-Link. No issue.
2nd time, DLINK on sale, so I buy it again to see how it go, Again run very slow, with random packet drop. Return it, buy TP-Link. No issue.

I try DLINK 3 time over last 5-6 years, all give me performance issue , 2 cases I got random packet drop.
I now have 7 switches around the house, mix of TP_link or NetGear, totally depend on which one is best price when I need it, and zero issue.
Bright side of RFD: 4 X Koodo $40/8GB plan
Dark side of RFD: Tons of stuff that I don't need but still got them because of RFD
Aug 23, 2019
455 posts
330 upvotes
Two conflicting reviews above that are almost the opposite.. i smell user errors.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2416 posts
330 upvotes
Burnaby
is this good price?!
ASUS RAMPAGE II EXTREME; i7-950; GTX 560; 16G Mem; 2TB HD; 24x DVD-RAM;