Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (GS305) - $19.99 (Limited Time Deal)

[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
10838 posts
7111 upvotes
Oil Country

[Amazon.ca] NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (GS305) - $19.99 (Limited Time Deal)

Received an alert that the NetGear GS305 5-port gigabit switch was on sale for $19.99. This is the all-time low on Amazon, and it's been this price a bunch of times before, most recently in October 2019.
51 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2453 posts
2094 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Both TP-Link and Netgear are good switch, I have both. Mostly 5 port to expend number of port at home office, TV cabinet, etc.

Just make sure you stay away from D-Link.
Bright side of RFD: 4 X Koodo $40/8GB plan
Dark side of RFD: Tons of stuff that I don't need but still got them because of RFD
Oct 16, 2005
941 posts
483 upvotes
New to this home networking, but realized I should have put Ethernet in the bedrooms instead of cable lol!

What would the benefit of going with the 8 other than 3 extra ports?

What is QoS and is it relevant for basic internet browsing or gaming. No file sharing at this point.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2007
3904 posts
389 upvotes
Thanks! Ordered one :)
Proud member of SENS Army
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2010
1265 posts
2049 upvotes
Toronto
Superman_2099 wrote: New to this home networking, but realized I should have put Ethernet in the bedrooms instead of cable lol!

What would the benefit of going with the 8 other than 3 extra ports?

What is QoS and is it relevant for basic internet browsing or gaming. No file sharing at this point.
Depends on where you're putting it. I have several of these in my house. I have an 8 ports in my entertainment centre (living room), and it's full. Between the TV, NVidia Shield, HTPC, Apple TV, etc... It gets filled up easy. I also have the 5 port, and keep it by my computer.

Just remember, it may be 5 ports, but one is used for connecting to the network. So it's really 4. And once you plug in your main device, and one more thing, it's already getting tight.
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2010
1265 posts
2049 upvotes
Toronto
fudge_u wrote: Received an alert that the NetGear GS305 5-port gigabit switch was on sale for $19.99. This is the all-time low on Amazon, and it's been this price a bunch of times before, most recently in October 2019.
The 5-port is a good little box. And at $19.99 can't go wrong.

For anyone curious for historical purposes, the 8-port of the same model often drops to $24.99, and Prime Day was $21.99.
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07PFYM5MZ/?co ... _lig_dp_it
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
3128 posts
689 upvotes
undacova wrote: I see the tp link 5 port plastic one for about $17 is there any concern for plastic vs metal?
I would say not a concern for home use. More of a concern is the placement of the ethernet ports and power ports. If its all on the same side its better than opposite sides.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2007
3168 posts
2362 upvotes
No Bum Deals
These are bullet proof. I have a few dotted around home and businesses. Never an issue. The metal chassis is a good heat mover.
🢂 Want COVID-19? Run around all the stores buying non-essential goods and help spread it around. Thanks! 🢀
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2007
3797 posts
1336 upvotes
Montreal
coilz wrote: I would say not a concern for home use. More of a concern is the placement of the ethernet ports and power ports. If its all on the same side its better than opposite sides.
Why ... just for cable management, or some other reason?
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2008
3167 posts
634 upvotes
Toronto
coilz wrote: I would say not a concern for home use. More of a concern is the placement of the ethernet ports and power ports. If its all on the same side its better than opposite sides.
Seems like the metal ones have the power on the opposite sides but the plastic ones have power on the same side
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
3128 posts
689 upvotes
GT!! wrote: Why ... just for cable management, or some other reason?
Yeah exactly for cable management .. at least for my case