Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] Netgear 5 port gigabit managed switch - $38

[OP]
Sep 26, 2008
660 posts
173 upvotes

[Amazon Canada] Netgear 5 port gigabit managed switch - $38

Was looking for the cheapest managed switch for VLAN and this is was the best I could find; no support for link aggregation though despite the advertisement; verified in the data sheet.

Useful for pfsense boxes with only a single nic/port.
10 replies
Mar 5, 2005
439 posts
60 upvotes
i had an older one and the web management was done via their software which was a pain, anyone know if this can be managed with any web browser?
Oct 6, 2006
157 posts
77 upvotes
Toronto
Says "Easy to Use Web Interface
Intuitive Web Interface that will allow you to configure the switch in a few minutes."
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2006
1573 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto
I would stay away from this model. Unlike the majority of switches in this class, NETGEAR only offers a 3-year warranty on these.

The GS105Ev2, the predecessor to this model, comes with a lifetime warranty.

In the past I've used the TP-Link TL-SG105E. It works well, but suffers from a minor security issue in that the management UI is accessible from any VLAN.
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
19001 posts
5899 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
syuzh wrote:
Jun 13th, 2019 4:25 pm
Was looking for the cheapest managed switch for VLAN and this is was the best I could find; no support for link aggregation though despite the advertisement; verified in the data sheet.

Useful for pfsense boxes with only a single nic/port.
You can't make a pfsense router with only one nic. Adding a switch to it won't help, it doesn't work that way.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2008
1017 posts
93 upvotes
BinaryJay wrote:
Jun 13th, 2019 7:27 pm
You can't make a pfsense router with only one nic. Adding a switch to it won't help, it doesn't work that way.
It's a managed switch so you can set up your WAN and LAN on different VLANs and it'll work, assuming you configure pfsense correctly.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2006
1573 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto
BinaryJay wrote:
Jun 13th, 2019 7:27 pm
It can be done, using a technique called "router on a stick". You essentially limit yourself to half the throughput (500 Mbps) but if your Internet connection isn't that fast anyway, you won't notice it.

The pfSense box connects to the trunk port on a managed switch, which is then connected both to the WAN and to the LAN on separate VLANs. As long as you have a switch that does proper VLAN isolation (refer to my comment about the TP-Link above), this is safe and far more reliable than, say, plugging in a USB Ethernet adapter to give your computer a second network interface.
Jul 29, 2010
239 posts
340 upvotes
Montreal
andrewhaji wrote:
Jun 13th, 2019 7:11 pm
I would stay away from this model. Unlike the majority of switches in this class, NETGEAR only offers a 3-year warranty on these.

The GS105Ev2, the predecessor to this model, comes with a lifetime warranty.

In the past I've used the TP-Link TL-SG105E. It works well, but suffers from a minor security issue in that the management UI is accessible from any VLAN.
Who cares about warranties on a 34$ product, just buy two in case it fails....
Apr 25, 2005
776 posts
190 upvotes
dazurn wrote:
Jun 14th, 2019 6:26 am
Who cares about warranties on a 34$ product, just buy two in case it fails....
Keep in mind that lifetime warranty by many vendors means till manufacturer discontinued (MD'ed) which could also just be a few years. Ie < 5yrs
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
19001 posts
5899 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
andrewhaji wrote:
Jun 14th, 2019 3:20 am
It can be done, using a technique called "router on a stick". You essentially limit yourself to half the throughput (500 Mbps) but if your Internet connection isn't that fast anyway, you won't notice it.

The pfSense box connects to the trunk port on a managed switch, which is then connected both to the WAN and to the LAN on separate VLANs. As long as you have a switch that does proper VLAN isolation (refer to my comment about the TP-Link above), this is safe and far more reliable than, say, plugging in a USB Ethernet adapter to give your computer a second network interface.
Oh, I never even considered that... and yeah, I hope nobody is relying on USB for this. Still, I've had faster than half duplex gigabit WAN for a very long time now. Funny enough now my LAN is my bottleneck these days, my WAN is actually faster... I have the 1.5 gigabit fibe plan - long story, but since I don't use the homehub (and haven't gone through the time and expense of actually setting up my network to actually support it) I'm "only" using 2/3rds of it, at least the downstream. So yeah... half duplex gigabit at a router really is kind of a non starter for a lot of people these days - I imagine most people who know how to set up pfsense and use it probably have internet that isn't "slow", well maybe.

I'm hoping that Bell has a hardware change and gets rid of their stupid 2.5GbE SFP port and switches to a standard 10Gb sync rate because it's much too expensive and/or a pain in the neck to work with what they have right now.