Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

NETGEAR 5 port unmanaged Gigabit Desktop Switch Essentials Edition (GS205) - $16.99

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 14th, 2021 7:00 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2013
1634 posts
9454 upvotes
MILTON

[Amazon.ca] NETGEAR 5 port unmanaged Gigabit Desktop Switch Essentials Edition (GS205) - $16.99

8 port router is also on sale for $26.99

• Brand NETGEAR
  • Item dimensions L x W x H 22.5 x 19 x 5.9 centimeters
  • Mounting type Wall Mount
  • Specification met Energy Star Certified
  • Wattage 3.64 watts
21 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2019
2812 posts
3878 upvotes
Can these things be used to share a printer ?
I have a brother laser printer MFC 2710 abs having trouble sharing it with 2 computers.
Feb 10, 2014
385 posts
330 upvotes
Mississauga
simplypop wrote: Can these things be used to share a printer ?
I have a brother laser printer MFC 2710 abs having trouble sharing it with 2 computers.
Simple answer is no
Mar 4, 2009
139 posts
65 upvotes
Toronto
fayfayfay wrote: Simple answer is no
Of course it can. How did you come up with your response? I'm curious.
Rogers Ignite 500u - $29.99/month
Fido 15GB data only plan - $0/month
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2006
2817 posts
3144 upvotes
Toronto
If you're plugging that printer via usb to one computer and sharing it for the other computer and having problem, then yes this could help.
Since the printer is network ready, has a ethernet port, and technically could be used wirelessly as well via wifi.
You need to change how you connect the printer, to be via network instead of local printer.
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2013
1634 posts
9454 upvotes
MILTON
I think you will need a router that has built in print server.
Dec 28, 2010
142 posts
119 upvotes
Ottawa
You can never have too many ports .... you'll eventually regret the 5 port version, so just get the 8-port version now.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
4549 posts
2623 upvotes
That printer has a built-in wireless card so you don't even need this to share the printer. Connect it to your network then find out the IP address of the printer. Install the printer drivers on your machine and create a TCP/IP port for the printer driver pointing to the printer IP. If all is done right then you will be able to print from any machines you install the drivers on.
Feb 9, 2017
349 posts
530 upvotes
jasonchewy wrote: ^^^
Don't listen to this guy
Well, let's review the facts before making our decision.
The original question was: "Can these things be used to share a printer ?
I have a brother laser printer MFC 2710 abs having trouble sharing it with 2 computers"
We don't really know anything else about the case. If the person had already connected this printer to
his home router and still had problems sharing the printer then it is unlikely an unmanaged switch
is going to be helpful.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2014
2399 posts
3918 upvotes
Onterrible
fayfayfay wrote:
Simple answer is no
r/ConfidentlyIncorrect

...this is why we still need thumbs down on here.
dodgybackhand wrote: Well, let's review the facts before making our decision.
I have a brother laser printer MFC 2710 abs having trouble sharing it with 2 computers"
We don't really know anything else about the case. If the person had already connected this printer to
his home router and still had problems sharing the printer then it is unlikely an unmanaged switch
is going to be helpful.
So there can be no possibility of user error?

This should absolutely work, and it's simple as plugging in the printer's ethernet into the switch, I know, cause I've done it with a Brother printer multiple times.

One thing to note though I believe Brother printers will only work if one of the network options is disabled. As in if using Ethernet for sharing then the Wifi on it must be turned off.
Apr 18, 2012
175 posts
53 upvotes
Saint-Jean-Sur-Riche…
TeddyPants wrote: Fyi - Your first link doesn't work.

Thanks. Purchased the tp link. Not sure why it is better but went with it!
I am also wondering why it would be better...

Trying to do a quick comparison, I see on Amazon that the TP-Link 8 Port Gigabit Ethernet Network Switch (TL-SG1008D) only consumes 1.6 watt while idle (they don't mention that in the decription, but found that on the user reviews, so take that with a grin of salt, whereas the official site says Max Power Consumption=4.6W), while the NETGEAR 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (GS208) on Amazon reports Wattage = 3.64 watts (is that Max ?) even though they mention it has energy-efficient technology, but can't find any details about that, even on the Netgear site.

I would not mind buying the Netgear event if it's a few bucks more expensive... because all my network components are currently Netgear (router, switch, extenders etc), and I have nothing to complain about so far...
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2012
1878 posts
810 upvotes
Winnipeg
fayfayfay wrote: Simple answer is no
Wrong, you can share anything that has a wired or wireless connection on the same flat network, when you have a managed or unmanaged switch or access point in between..that's just basic without making it too much complicated for a normal user.
Apr 14, 2017
749 posts
717 upvotes
dodgybackhand wrote: Well, let's review the facts before making our decision.
is going to be helpful.
If you don't have the necessary info then the simple answer is "I don't know".
Oct 19, 2014
84 posts
66 upvotes
Montréal
jasonchewy wrote: If you're plugging that printer via usb to one computer and sharing it for the other computer and having problem, then yes this could help.
Since the printer is network ready, has a ethernet port, and technically could be used wirelessly as well via wifi.
You need to change how you connect the printer, to be via network instead of local printer.
MFC 2710 does not have an ethernet port.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2006
2817 posts
3144 upvotes
Toronto
TranT14 wrote: MFC 2710 does not have an ethernet port.
Only "MFC 2710" I can find is the MFCL2710DW.

Here's the spec:
Standard Interface(s) Wireless 802.11 b/g/n, Ethernet, 10/100 Base-TX Ethernet, Wi Fi Direct, Hi-Speed USB 2.0
Dec 27, 2017
263 posts
374 upvotes
Yep. Using ethernet assign it a static IP. If you DHCP range is like 192.168.1.100-256 give it a static IP like 192.168.1.50 and keep track of it in a spreadsheet or something. As long as the other IP4 specs are correct (subnet mask, etc.) it should work. You may have to change the Printer Properties on all the clients so that the static IP is reflected.

In this configuration it wouldn't need to be shared from a PC. It would be on the network directly by ethernet.

Any device/host on the Ethernet or Wifi network would be able to talk to each other as long as long as the all connect to the same router. Router -> Ethernet -> Switch -> Printer and other PCs would work.
Last edited by HeartofDarius13 on Dec 14th, 2021 6:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)