Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] NETGEAR 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged PoE Switch (GS108PEv3) - with 4 x PoE @ 53W - 29% off - $89.99

[OP]
Jun 10, 2004
600 posts
1260 upvotes
Toronto

[Amazon.ca] NETGEAR 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged PoE Switch (GS108PEv3) - with 4 x PoE @ 53W - 29% off - $89.99

Lowest Price EVER on CCC

004.jpg

ETHERNET PORT CONFIGURATION: 8 Gigabit ports
POWER-OVER-ETHERNET: 4 PoE ports with 53W total power budget
CONFIGURATION & CONTROL: Management software with easy-to-use GUI interface offers basic capabilities to configure, secure, and monitor your network.
VERSATILE MOUNTING OPTIONS: Supports desktop or wall mount placement
SILENT OPERATION: The fanless design means zero added noise wherever its located, making it ideal for noise-sensitive environments
PROSAFE LIFETIME PROTECTION: Covered by an industry-best Lifetime Limited Hardware Warranty, Next Business Day Replacement and 24/7 chat with a NETGEAR expert
ENERGY EFFICIENT: Designed to optimize power usage lowering its cost to operate. Most models are compliant with IEEE802.3az Energy Efficient Ethernet mode.
BUILT TO LAST: Every NETGEAR Network switch is rigorously tested for reliability, quality, and performance.

-Callahan-
71UU9nSR4yL._SL1500_.jpg
71KXYhO+rYL._SL1500_.jpg
81RhyC6x1hL._SL1500_.jpg
Thread Summary
OP information / description is wrong. The part # reflects a unit that is managed.

It uses the 802.3af/t standard of PoE, which is good. But it won't be compatible with some of the cheaper passive PoE devices from Ubiquiti that gets mentioned around here.
42 replies
Dec 1, 2006
680 posts
71 upvotes
Can you connect two of these and have one be powered through poe?
Sep 6, 2013
59 posts
19 upvotes
The Blue Mountains
Why are these things so expensive?
Been on the lookout for years now.
Of course I don't need one just want one to clean up wiring and potential future projects.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2005
1960 posts
689 upvotes
Montréal, QC
Can it power some Ubiquiti UAP antennas and VoIP phones?
How to check the right voltage or wattage?
Feb 9, 2004
767 posts
200 upvotes
Markham
Clee wrote: Can it power some Ubiquiti UAP antennas and VoIP phones?
The newer Unifi AP are all 802.3af PoE, which I think this switch supports. So I can't see why not. The power consumption is listed in the device datasheet on the Unifi site.
Jul 24, 2005
239 posts
145 upvotes
GTA
Clee wrote: Can it power some Ubiquiti UAP antennas and VoIP phones?
If you already have unifi gear wait for a managed unifi poe switch to go on sale.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2006
1395 posts
224 upvotes
LeeCLeeC wrote: The one OP posted is also a smart managed switch.
Ah I see, managed vs unmanaged. Thank you.

I am looking to buy to connect my 2 access points that run on PoE. Any advantage to managed vs unmanaged for APs?
Aug 23, 2019
450 posts
328 upvotes
LeeCLeeC wrote: The one OP posted is also a smart managed switch.
theyre all unmanaged/dumb switches i think or at least the ones that are posted so far https://kb.netgear.com/25445/Which-NETG ... ght-for-me
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Unmana ... -p/1053520
http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/ ... 4Apr14.pdf
crustydragon wrote: Ah I see, managed vs unmanaged. Thank you.

I am looking to buy to connect my 2 access points that run on PoE. Any advantage to managed vs unmanaged for APs?
I wouldn't look at managed switches for home unless you've got like a home lab or somesort. I would be more concerned about their real life speeds things like memory buffer, latency/throughput issues etc
Apr 10, 2009
727 posts
131 upvotes
00sk8tr wrote: Why are these things so expensive?
Been on the lookout for years now.
Of course I don't need one just want one to clean up wiring and potential future projects.

Managed switches with PoE are usually pricier. If you just need an 8 port unmanaged switch with no PoE you can get it for much cheaper.

Out of curiosity, what do people need managed switches for these days for home use?
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2008
1459 posts
329 upvotes
Burlington, ON
Mistro wrote: Out of curiosity, what do people need managed switches for these days for home use?
I'm using one for my pfSense setup running off a laptop that only has one NIC card. The managed switch is needed since the laptop has only one NIC, as most routers have a WAN and LAN connector. Having said that, I just bought a mini PC to replace the laptop since the laptop was a temporary setup just to see if it would all work.
Last edited by flyboy320 on Jan 20th, 2020 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Public Mobile $13/month
Fido 3GB data only plan
Jul 24, 2005
239 posts
145 upvotes
GTA
Mistro wrote: Out of curiosity, what do people need managed switches for these days for home use?
VLAN tagging. Logically divide your network to say have your personal devices on a private network. IoT devices on another, guests on another etc....