373 posts
864 upvotes
Montreal

[Amazon.ca] NETGEAR 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (GS308) $27.99

25 replies
Aug 11, 2016
200 posts
135 upvotes
Can someone explain what I would use this for? Is this essentially for splitting an Ethernet port in my house between multiple devices?
Oct 19, 2014
63 posts
42 upvotes
Saint-Laurent, QC
ead009 wrote: Can someone explain what I would use this for? Is this essentially for splitting an Ethernet port in my house between multiple devices?
Yes, you are just giving yourself more ports to connect devices to.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2004
14191 posts
3330 upvotes
what does UNMANAGED switch mean?
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Jul 28, 2011
244 posts
161 upvotes
Toronto
This TP-Link is on sale at Canada Computers as well. Just in case you would want to support your local brick and mortar store and keep the comptetition with Amazon alive. Don't get me wrong, I shop and Amazon and local stores, but if the price is similar I prefer local store to make sure we don't give Amazon monopoly.
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
13639 posts
5192 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Klikerko wrote: This TP-Link is on sale at Canada Computers as well. Just in case you would want to support your local brick and mortar store and keep the comptetition with Amazon alive. Don't get me wrong, I shop and Amazon and local stores, but if the price is similar I prefer local store to make sure we don't give Amazon monopoly.
But Canada Computers has it for $29.99 (vs. $27.99 on Amazon)... this was $21.99 as a lightning deal not too long ago. But I picked up one anyway because one of my gigabit switches is dead so the timing is perfect.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2004
4527 posts
943 upvotes
Toronto
kiasu wrote: what does UNMANAGED switch mean?
No settings, plug and play.
Apr 26, 2009
651 posts
476 upvotes
Calgary
kiasu wrote: what does UNMANAGED switch mean?
It means you can’t configure it. Things just plug in and work. Managed switches allow you to configure each port and better traffic control for each device. Average home user would have no need for a managed switch.
Mar 25, 2009
925 posts
440 upvotes
Toronto
Got this same box for $22 on Prime Day. I know there’s no time machine. my point is that this goes on sale frequently and might be cheaper if you can wait ...
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
8121 posts
1169 upvotes
TO
ead009 wrote: Can someone explain what I would use this for? Is this essentially for splitting an Ethernet port in my house between multiple devices?
If you get one of those Google WIFI mesh pods, it doesn't have extra out ports for lets say Arlo Camera bridge etc., this can be used with the pods.
Achieva Financial /KOHO / STACK (0% FX Fee) /Tangerine / EQ Bank member / I use Plastiq for paying bills with my CC

"You can't soar with the eagles if you're hanging with the turkeys - Gary Kent
Dec 14, 2017
344 posts
337 upvotes
Thanks OP, just in time. Any one know of any deals on smaller switches?
Oct 17, 2003
409 posts
52 upvotes
Fredericton
7865875 wrote: Thanks OP, just in time. Any one know of any deals on smaller switches?
I'd imagine 5 port switches will only fall so far, how about:

https://www.amazon.ca/TP-Link-TL-SG1005 ... 139&sr=1-4

And it's scary at how many ethernet ports you can fill up in a short time. Had to go with an 8 port for my bedroom: uplink to my router, gaming PC, 55" smart tv, 4k fire stick with ethernet adapter, bell receiver & vizio soundbar. And yeah, wifi is bad in this part of the house, so wired it the way to go for me.
Apr 9, 2006
59 posts
8 upvotes
Ottawa, Ontario
At this price range, are the TP-Link or NETGEAR a wash? Do people even have a preference one way or another?
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2010
1590 posts
2974 upvotes
Toronto
rvs007 wrote: But Canada Computers has it for $29.99 (vs. $27.99 on Amazon)... this was $21.99 as a lightning deal not too long ago. But I picked up one anyway because one of my gigabit switches is dead so the timing is perfect.
I bought this at $21.99. Works well. No issues. Would recommend. Would even consider a bigger one, but the bigger ones tend to not come down to these prices.
Dec 28, 2017
227 posts
260 upvotes
Calgary
id suggest waiting for lower price and buy one for every room of your house Face With Tears Of Joy. Its a must have for a home network, or another way is buy one with more ports and install ethernet ports on your walls with the cables routed inside