Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

NETGEAR 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (GS308) $27.99

Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
kiasu wrote: what does UNMANAGED switch mean?
Unmanaged as someone else said is plug and play.
Everything that's plugged in can communicate with everything else.

Managed means you can do fancy things, one of which is VLANs.
This means that you can have 2 (or more) completely separate networks plugged into the same switch.
If you have VLAN aware hardware, it can communicate with multiple networks off of one switch port.
A home application would be a power user using something like pfsense.
You'd plug your modem, your server, and all your clients into the switch. Normally this would be a disaster.
But here, your modem is on a separate network so only your server can see it. On the same line, your server is also "giving" internet to the other ports which are also isolated.
You could add stuff like guest networks too so a friend connecting to your wifi won't see your pr0n collection.

Managed isn't really that practical for home use, but it can be very beneficial if you're a power user.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Apr 9, 2006
71 posts
11 upvotes
Ottawa, Ontario
rvs007 wrote: At this price range, the three brands I would consider are Netgear, TP-Link and Trendnet, and each of them will go on sale for around the same sales price from time to time ($25-30). They all have metal & plastic casings but I always prefer the metal ones because of the amount of heat the switch generates. But between the three brands, I always prefer the Trendnet because unlike the other two brands, the Trendnet switch has the ethernet ports at the back of the device, not the front. So if you have the switch sitting on a table, you won't see the unsightly mess of ethernet cables connected to the switch. But sadly the one that just died on me is a Trendnet brand, and it's one of their old ones that doesn't have the lifetime warranty.
Thanks. It’s been a while since I bought one of these. ASUS and D-Link were my go to way back.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2011
6190 posts
1546 upvotes
GTA
rvs007 wrote: At this price range, the three brands I would consider are Netgear, TP-Link and Trendnet, and each of them will go on sale for around the same sales price from time to time ($25-30). They all have metal & plastic casings but I always prefer the metal ones because of the amount of heat the switch generates. But between the three brands, I always prefer the Trendnet because unlike the other two brands, the Trendnet switch has the ethernet ports at the back of the device, not the front. So if you have the switch sitting on a table, you won't see the unsightly mess of ethernet cables connected to the switch. But sadly the one that just died on me is a Trendnet brand, and it's one of their old ones that doesn't have the lifetime warranty.
TEG-S82G fits the bill, metal and front pannel. I just went feel the unit I have, it's not even warm.

But you are right, can't find yet another 8-port metal back pannel ports (w/ power on the back not on the side) unmanaged suitable for home desktop use.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2011
6190 posts
1546 upvotes
GTA
death_hawk wrote: Unmanaged as someone else said is plug and play.
Everything that's plugged in can communicate with everything else.

Managed means you can do fancy things, one of which is VLANs.
This means that you can have 2 (or more) completely separate networks plugged into the same switch.
If you have VLAN aware hardware, it can communicate with multiple networks off of one switch port.
A home application would be a power user using something like pfsense.
You'd plug your modem, your server, and all your clients into the switch. Normally this would be a disaster.
But here, your modem is on a separate network so only your server can see it. On the same line, your server is also "giving" internet to the other ports which are also isolated.
You could add stuff like guest networks too so a friend connecting to your wifi won't see your pr0n collection.

Managed isn't really that practical for home use, but it can be very beneficial if you're a power user.
What do you suggest as starting point into the managed switches? any off lease brand/model that's flooding the local used classified?

I think it would be nice to have at least one that's sharing router's load or enhancing performance. For example, most households wants reliable VoIP, super fast web page load while streaming/uploading/VPN...
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
LongLiveRFD wrote: What do you suggest as starting point into the managed switches? any off lease brand/model that's flooding the local used classified?
Your favorite used place (fleabay, craigslist, etc) are full of them.
Some more expensive than others.
A 24 port gigabit generally speaking is about $200ish, give or take a hundred depending on actual models and features.
You can get them as low as $50, but there's some wonkiness. Some older Dells for example REQUIRE Internet Explorer 6 for management. Chrome/Firefox/Edge just don't work.
You can actually factory reset them and just make them dumb switches which is still a hell of a deal for a 24 port gigabit.
I think it would be nice to have at least one that's sharing router's load or enhancing performance. For example, most households wants reliable VoIP, super fast web page load while streaming/uploading/VPN...
I like my commercial equipment, but you don't really need a managed switch for anything on this list.
I'm sad to say it, but most of my network is 8 or 16 port consumer switches because I now live in a condo and have ethernet ports everywhere.
I'm still reliable internally.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2006
3441 posts
746 upvotes
Winnipeg
I don't recommend this switch... bought one a couple of months ago and it worked fine for a couple of days, and then had issues with my IP Cameras missing from ONVIF manager. I bought a refurbished DLINK 16 port unmanaged switch prior and it was working flawlessly, I replaced it with the Netgear and returned the DLink because it was more expensive ($80), but the netgear is such a low quality switch, that it wasn't able to handle my network of hardwired 10 IP cameras, 6 PCs, 2 NVRs, (4 8-port switches), TVs, NAS, etc.

Amazon replaced it with another netgear switch, and that replacement had issues the day I installed it... My kids were complaining the internet was going up and down, so I removed it from the network and used 2 8-port switches (ironically it's also netgear) and that fixed my issues...