• Last Updated:
  • Feb 24th, 2018 4:14 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2009
1449 posts
254 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] NETGEAR Orbi RBK33 WiFi Mesh System (3 Satellites) - $399

For any one looking into investing into a Wireless MESH WiFi system, this is probably one of the best deals out there right now.
Mainly because this system comes with an Orbi Router and 2 Wall-plug Satellites. Essentially giving three satellites for 399

The Netgear ORBI is the best rated Wi-Fi Mesh system in the market, along with with Linksys VELOP system.
Smallnetbuilder did a roundup including the RBK30 (1 Router + Wall-plug) and RBK40 (1 Router + 1 Satellite) and concluded the RBK30 to be the better performer.
https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireles ... l=&start=4

The only downside to this Orbi system is that, the wall-plug satellites do not have any Ethernet ports, so where ever you put these satellites you will be limited to Wi-Fi unless you add a wireless bridge for Ethernet connectivity.
20 replies
Oct 17, 2010
841 posts
447 upvotes
Edmonton
I don't know why this system is still labeled as a mesh system when it isn't even mesh; it's hub and spoke. That being said I've tried it and wasn't impressed. I also tried the Amplifi HD mesh system (using 2 amplifi routers) and it was light years better than the Orbi.
Apr 23, 2016
511 posts
542 upvotes
Kelowna
8008135 wrote: I don't know why this system is still labeled as a mesh system when it isn't even mesh; it's hub and spoke. That being said I've tried it and wasn't impressed. I also tried the Amplifi HD mesh system (using 2 amplifi routers) and it was light years better than the Orbi.

I've installed a few ubiquiti ap's recently, and from the research I've done, the amplifi HD mesh is far superior to the orbi. It seems to be the benchmark for residential mesh networks. I've never worked with their mesh systems directly, but I can speak to the quality of Ubiquiti overall. Very great products at good prices.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2006
1520 posts
855 upvotes
Before the Orbi Satellites needed to connect directly to the main router, but now they can daisy chain and connect off each other...
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
4218 posts
3143 upvotes
Markham
8008135 wrote: I don't know why this system is still labeled as a mesh system when it isn't even mesh; it's hub and spoke. That being said I've tried it and wasn't impressed. I also tried the Amplifi HD mesh system (using 2 amplifi routers) and it was light years better than the Orbi.
The biggest issue with Amplifi HD is it lacks wired backhaul between slaves and master.

I believe Orbi finally got this capablity few months ago which is a game changer, although not with the wall plug modules in this kit. It requires the full size sattelites.
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2017
2026 posts
1520 upvotes
ktkn wrote: Before the Orbi Satellites needed to connect directly to the main router, but now they can daisy chain and connect off each other...
Since when?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2008
5189 posts
1960 upvotes
Toronto
shayne85 wrote: Since when?
Since Firmware update.

Plus you can use Ethernet backhaul with them.
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2017
2026 posts
1520 upvotes
So it’s exactly like Google WiFi now - nice.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
4218 posts
3143 upvotes
Markham
shayne85 wrote: So it’s exactly like Google WiFi now - nice.
Really? So in your view a Dual Band router (Google WiFi) and a Tri-band router with dedicated wireless backhaul (Orbi) are exactly the same?
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2017
2026 posts
1520 upvotes
X24Secret wrote: Really? So in your view a Dual Band router (Google WiFi) and a Tri-band router with dedicated wireless backhaul (Orbi) are exactly the same?
Yes I have only two Wireless AC devices, my iPhone and iPad, which are both still only 2x2 MIMO. All my other devices, 2 desktops, 2 laptops, Roku, Fire TV, old iPad, Android tablet are all Wireless N, some only 2.4 GHz Wireless N so those have no way to take advantage of the “Tri-band”.

Maybe if I had 95 wireless devices and I was steaming 4K video, it’d matter. I unfortunately have only 1080p TVs.
Dec 15, 2017
658 posts
1005 upvotes
Vancouver
X24Secret wrote: Really? So in your view a Dual Band router (Google WiFi) and a Tri-band router with dedicated wireless backhaul (Orbi) are exactly the same?
I compared the Google Wifi with my $400 Linksys EA9500 Max-Stream AC5400 wifi router in a 2 level home and I did not see any gain with Google Wifi. Returned it the same day to BestBuy and save my money for something better however I did set up a Netgear Orbi for one of my clients in a brand new 3 level house that had glass railings along the staircase and coverage from the main family room to downstairs theater room was improved. So I was pretty impressed with the Netgear Orbi with the first time setup through an easy to use app. I still like Ubiquiti products though and I am waiting on checking out the Huawei hybrid mesh system too.
Oct 17, 2010
841 posts
447 upvotes
Edmonton
X24Secret wrote: The biggest issue with Amplifi HD is it lacks wired backhaul between slaves and master.

I believe Orbi finally got this capablity few months ago which is a game changer, although not with the wall plug modules in this kit. It requires the full size sattelites.
If you use 2 Amplifi routers (that's what I did) then you can have wired backhaul.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
4218 posts
3143 upvotes
Markham
shayne85 wrote: Yes I have only two Wireless AC devices, my iPhone and iPad, which are both still only 2x2 MIMO. All my other devices, 2 desktops, 2 laptops, Roku, Fire TV, old iPad, Android tablet are all Wireless N, some only 2.4 GHz Wireless N so those have no way to take advantage of the “Tri-band”.

Maybe if I had 95 wireless devices and I was steaming 4K video, it’d matter. I unfortunately have only 1080p TVs.
The third band in the "Tri-Band" on Orbi doesn't work the way you think like on regular routers. Orbi uses a dedicated radio for wireless comm between the two satellites, separating client traffic from satellite traffic.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
4218 posts
3143 upvotes
Markham
8008135 wrote: If you use 2 Amplifi routers (that's what I did) then you can have wired backhaul.
Can you put this router in AP mode? I'm tempted to try two out as price isn't too bad at about $130 USD but it has to work with my current router. I wish they had dropped the screen in favor of cost savings...
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2528 posts
364 upvotes
Burnaby
good to know. but will try linksys velop in future.
ASUS RAMPAGE II EXTREME; i7-950; GTX 560; 16G Mem; 2TB HD; 24x DVD-RAM;
Oct 17, 2010
841 posts
447 upvotes
Edmonton
X24Secret wrote: Can you put this router in AP mode? I'm tempted to try two out as price isn't too bad at about $130 USD but it has to work with my current router. I wish they had dropped the screen in favor of cost savings...
It has a bridge mode feature, not sure if this is what you're looking for though.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8644 posts
1097 upvotes
X24Secret wrote: The biggest issue with Amplifi HD is it lacks wired backhaul between slaves and master.

Yes, from what I read the amplifi uses the 2.4ghz for the connection. I’d rather have it connected through a power line or a proprietary communication frequency, so that both bands are available.