• Jun 2nd, 2020 6:01 pm
[OP]
Oct 22, 2018
5 posts
17 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] NETGEAR Orbi Tri-band Whole Home Mesh WiFi System (RBK23) $349.99

My first post.
Good price for me.
Last edited by TomRFD on May 26th, 2020 10:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: moved retailer name from title to retailer field
226 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2004
1560 posts
971 upvotes
Same price at Bestbuy.

Amazing system, I have it running in my home with approximately 26 devices connected. No issues with speed or range.
Feb 2, 2015
534 posts
155 upvotes
I have Rogers gigabit at home, is there a Mesh router that would be able to deal with Gigabit internet? This one says "best for Internet plans up to 200Mbps "
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2016
1615 posts
1244 upvotes
Toronto
spammy wrote: I have Rogers gigabit at home, is there a Mesh router that would be able to deal with Gigabit internet? This one says "best for Internet plans up to 200Mbps "
Unless you're ready to spend big bucks on a proper wifi6 mesh (like the rbk852), unlikely to get "full power"

I'm on the same boat, using bell tho. Been using their WiFi Pod and home Hub 3000, getting ~500mbps (pod upstairs, router downstairs)
huuuu! (¬'-')¬ C-('-'Q) straight!
Feb 2, 2015
534 posts
155 upvotes
neonic wrote: Unless you're ready to spend big bucks on a proper wifi6 mesh (like the rbk852), unlikely to get "full power"

I'm on the same boat, using bell tho. Been using their WiFi Pod and home Hub 3000, getting ~500mbps (pod upstairs, router downstairs)
Checked the price tag and nope, not ready to spend 2k on routers :)

Will stick to my Power Ethernet + Wifi router solution then, worked out pretty well but I was hoping for something that would be even faster.
Aug 27, 2006
304 posts
497 upvotes
GTA
I have the AC3000 version with just one satellite.
https://www.amazon.ca/NETGEAR-Orbi-Home ... 688&sr=8-5
This was $379 last year when it was on sale.

Best thing I have purchased in a decade.
When I used ordinary extenders, I had to manually connect and reconnect to extender depends which part of the house I was at.
No more with the Orbi.
Have the main Router by the Rogers Router in the basement corner.
Set up the satellite in the center of the house main floor.

Recently Rogers came and installed 4 of those Ignite Mesh units, and told me to use those instead.
I pulled them all out next day.
One Orbi out performed 4 Rogers mesh pods. Range and the speed.
Dec 22, 2006
150 posts
12 upvotes
Calgary
How's this compared to the Google Nest Wifi?
Apr 23, 2016
383 posts
413 upvotes
Kelowna
spammy wrote: I have Rogers gigabit at home, is there a Mesh router that would be able to deal with Gigabit internet? This one says "best for Internet plans up to 200Mbps "
You got a device that can handle gigabit wifi?
Sep 2, 2007
661 posts
112 upvotes
BC
Best Buy or Amazon has rbk50 on sales for $400 couple weeks ago but only come with one satellite. Great router, but they are not true mesh technology. You can check out tomguide for that.
Jun 15, 2008
6 posts
4 upvotes
Just compared to the Google Nest Wifi. The google wifi extra access points acting as google home mini's is a nice touch. However, I struggled to get it working properly. Performance was really sporadic with high transfer rates one minute to next to unusable the next with the same device and same location.

I spent 3 hours with the google techs and despite lots of restarts, updates etc we never go to the end of it.

Picked up the Orbi's today and performance is much better than the Google Nest wifi. Very impressed both with the range and speed. Maybe it is the dedicated third band used for backhaul between the router and the satellites?

One issue I had was Orbi devices took a long time to boot and to update initially at odds with the instructions in the app e.g. app says 1 minute but took 5 minutes. Also router and satellites tended to reboot on their own during setup. However, it has been rock solid afterwards.

I'm techie so I appreciate the additional options available in the web interface. The Nest is pretty limited in that way. I also like the Disney Circle parental controls (although that is extra cost).
Deal Guru
Aug 6, 2001
14308 posts
2354 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
Wifi AC ?