Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

NETGEAR Orbi Tri-band Whole Home Mesh WiFi System (RBK23) $349.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 2nd, 2020 6:01 pm
Feb 2, 2018
129 posts
29 upvotes
Thank you Vinnie1990 for the details. Gonna pull the trigger on RBK50. It is $340 on Dell for work also 8% Rakuten if anyone in the market to get one. Was 2% from Rakuten
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
17811 posts
5762 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
vinnie1990 wrote: TL:DR - Yes the RBK 50 for $80 more is a no brainer. Get satellites to attach to it if your house is massive or you have a big yard.

I found it worth it (I bought both and tested them one after another, in the exact same spots) and I found the RBK50 pushed out way better signal. I have 100+ connected smart devices and found less lag when giving my Google Assistants commands like 'turn off kitchen lights' etc. For $330, its a really good price. I know people can complain about wifi 6 vs wifi 5.. but it was like when AC came to life.. took a while for devices and laptops to get all refreshed. TBH, I was going to buy the RBK852 in the US which is the Orbi AX, but with the current exchange rate.. its almost $1k CDN... I don't think the extra bit of wifi speed is going to be worth it.. I'll wait for more wifi 6 devices to come out and push that price down.. right now they are asking way too much for marginal performance. How I think of it for now

AC2200 - 400-500mbs Price $250 Performance gain n/a baseline
AC3000 - 500-700mbs Price $330 Performance gain 25-40%
AX6000 - 800-1000mbs Price $900 performance gain over 2200 100% performance gain over AC3000 - 40-60%

Is the AX worth 4x or 3x the price... I don't think so, but you be the judge.. its your money. Keep in mind, those speeds need the corresponding signal.. so you'll need AX devices to hit those (I ain't ready to shelf all my existing shit to do it).

One thing to note, the AX nighthawk did sent higher AC wifi power (at the closer ranges) and handles more users/devices nicely.. but again, the price premium is double when you factor in the mesh network (i.e. need more than 1 or 2 extra devices), so its a pass...

TBH, (again my amateur review) I did buy the nighthawk AX and tested that... it was insanely fast with the Iphone 11 Pro (which is AX) but when I took it to another floor... the signal was crap (my house is around 3000 sq ft). Compared to the RBK50... I got slower, but consistent speed. Am I maxing out my Rogers gigabit internet, with the RBK50... no, but I'm hitting the bottle neck speeds over wifi. The ethernet backhaul is amazing for office/server units and I do need more than 1 additional port (if you use the AC2200, one port is for the incoming ethernet, leaving you with 1 outbound for a device, which doesn't quite cut it for me).

Hope this helps people and kills the whole Wifi 5 vs 6... if you haven't tried it in your house for yourself.. keep your comments or false hopes to yourself. Newer isn't always better, but in this tech case, newer requires upgrades across the board to truly see the benefit. I will get wifi 6 eventually, but I personally don't think wifi is something tech early adoption benefits from (unlike smartphones and tvs etc.)
AC2200 - 400-500mbs Price $250 Performance gain n/a baseline
AX6000 - 800-1000mbs Price $900 performance gain over 2200 100% performance gain over AC3000 - 40-60%

Actually, you can get even more from AC2200 vs AC3000, look into the specs, most likely the extra bump is on 2.4ghz (which is useless these days).
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
17811 posts
5762 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
bb_00 wrote: I think that's the speed for the node. Not to your device.

I have the Rogers Gigabit plan and I get almost 900 Mbps from the app but only 220 next to the router and 160ish next to the satellite 2 floors up with my phone wifi using Speedtest.net.
You 220 next to router is not good, what device are you testing this with? Most likely it's the antenna limit on your device vs the node.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2008
2984 posts
2445 upvotes
Mississauga
weedb0y wrote: AC2200 - 400-500mbs Price $250 Performance gain n/a baseline

Actually, you can get even more from AC2200 vs AC3000, look into the specs, most likely the extra bump is on 2.4ghz (which is useless these days).
these were from the real world speeds from my house. The spec sheets are helpful,.but sometimes I can't get them, no matter how much I try to config :( hence why I don't like to say I'm a pro reviewer haha
Vinh
If you're going to hate, Get off RFD!
Dec 1, 2006
215 posts
98 upvotes
weedb0y wrote: AC2200 - 400-500mbs Price $250 Performance gain n/a baseline

Is the Dell for work deal over? Can't seem to find it at $340 - looks like $400 now
Feb 2, 2018
129 posts
29 upvotes
freed1b wrote: Is the Dell for work deal over? Can't seem to find it at $340 - looks like $400 now
You apply WELCOME15% COUPON CODE to bring down to 340. Don't forget Rakuten 8%
Feb 2, 2018
129 posts
29 upvotes
Quick question for the Orbi owners, do you update the firmware when first set up the router? Also, I need to switch my currently Rogers hitron to bridge mode right? Thanks
Nov 18, 2019
502 posts
244 upvotes
GTA
I just set up the RBK 23 yesterday.

Instead of bridging I switched Orbi to AP mode. I had to call in to my provider (Cogeco) to force the wireless on the Hitron to turn off.

As for firmware, Orbi will ask if you want to update it; I did.
Feb 2, 2018
129 posts
29 upvotes
ChibaK wrote: I just set up the RBK 23 yesterday.

Instead of bridging I switched Orbi to AP mode. I had to call in to my provider (Cogeco) to force the wireless on the Hitron to turn off.

As for firmware, Orbi will ask if you want to update it; I did.
Thanks.

Sorry nooby question, what is the difference between bridging mode and AP mode? Why you choose to set up in AP mode?
Nov 18, 2019
502 posts
244 upvotes
GTA
gtadealshunting wrote: Thanks.

Sorry nooby question, what is the difference between bridging mode and AP mode? Why you choose to set up in AP mode?
I am just as noob as you :). I asked a similar question at around Post #142
Nov 19, 2006
83 posts
8 upvotes
From my research and knowing someone with the RBK50, I would highly recommend the RBK50 if wireless and speed is a factor for you. I also jumped on the Dell Deal yesterday, after the 15% discount the total came to $380 shipped.
Dec 13, 2004
40 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
martinjgravel wrote: I am assuming you can VPN (aka NordVPN) with Orbi, is that correct?
Nope. Netgear firmware doesn't allow you to install a VPN. I had to take an old router that I had, install DD-WRT on it, install the VPN on it, and then put the old router between my modem and Orbi.
Dec 13, 2004
40 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
Buzz001 wrote: I've had the RBK50 for over 6 months now, and have had no issues.... Gives me great coverage throughout the house, basement, and garage, as well as outdoors (house footprint almost 3,000 sq ft).

The one challenge is when installing smart home devices (lights, plugs, thermostats, etc) which need to connect via 2.4GHz to set up... There is no way to "turn off" the 5GHz band on the Orbi (but you can reduce power to 25%), and then try to get your phone or tablet to connect to 2.4GHz (turn off satellite, move as far away from base as possible, etc).
Not having the ability to turn off the 5GH or have separate SSDs for 2.4GH and 5GH is a real pain. I have a bunch of Google minis & smart TVs which randomly decided which frequency to connect too. Of course my phone did the same so it was impossible to configure them using the Orbi. I had to swap out the Orbi with an old router, configure the devices using the old router and then swap the Orbi back in.
Feb 1, 2004
944 posts
191 upvotes
Markham
weedb0y wrote: You 220 next to router is not good, what device are you testing this with? Most likely it's the antenna limit on your device vs the node.
I'm using the Galaxy Note 8 wifi. I noticed that too. Perhaps, it's the Orbi setting which I need to tweak. Trying to find out what others' setting is.
Feb 24, 2007
159 posts
109 upvotes
gtadealshunting wrote: Thanks.

In the past Cable Boxes and Modems provided by Rogers and Bell were just Cable Boxes and Modems and you always had a separate Router.
In layman's terms a Router is what allows allow you to share your internet connection across multiple computer's and devices. Without it you would only be able to use one device plugged directly in to your Cable Modem.

Nowadays most Cable Boxes and Modems provided by Rogers and Bell also come with built in Router and WIFI functionality. For small homes and Condos this is usually sufficient without a separate system like Orbi, Eero, etc.

When you install a separate Router/Wifi System like Orbi, Eero, Google Wifi, etc. it is standard to disable the Router functionality inside of the Cable Box or Mode.
Disabling the Router functionality is typically called "Bridge" mode.

The other option is to keep using the Router functionality inside of the Cable Box or Modem and instead use something called "AP" mode.
This will allow your WIFI system to act as a WIFI system only and it will not provide any routing functionality, instead it will rely on the Cable Box/Modem.

Mesh systems are really just Router's with AP's except they made it much more user friendly and seamless for most users.
Mesh systems will typically automatically set up one WIFI device as the main router, and the rest of the WIFI devices as AP's for you, without any real configuration or setup like in the past.
Feb 2, 2018
129 posts
29 upvotes
lakesarecool wrote:
In the past Cable Boxes and Modems provided by Rogers and Bell were just Cable Boxes and Modems and you always had a separate Router.
In layman's terms a Router is what allows allow you to share your internet connection across multiple computer's and devices. Without it you would only be able to use one device plugged directly in to your Cable Modem.

Nowadays most Cable Boxes and Modems provided by Rogers and Bell also come with built in Router and WIFI functionality. For small homes and Condos this is usually sufficient without a separate system like Orbi, Eero, etc.

When you install a separate Router/Wifi System like Orbi, Eero, Google Wifi, etc. it is standard to disable the Router functionality inside of the Cable Box or Mode.
Disabling the Router functionality is typically called "Bridge" mode.

The other option is to keep using the Router functionality inside of the Cable Box or Modem and instead use something called "AP" mode.
This will allow your WIFI system to act as a WIFI system only and it will not provide any routing functionality, instead it will rely on the Cable Box/Modem.

Mesh systems are really just Router's with AP's except they made it much more user friendly and seamless for most users.
Mesh systems will typically automatically set up one WIFI device as the main router, and the rest of the WIFI devices as AP's for you, without any real configuration or setup like in the past.
Thank you for the detailed explanation.
I saw previously people say you should switch the Rogers hitron to bridge mode and use Obri as the router and plus one satellite for RBK50-OPTION1.

But also people said just switched the Orbi to AP modes-OPTION 2.

Which one is the preferred set up for people in general? My modem/router from Rogers is in the basement, and I do not have the capability to do wired backhaul for the Orbi satellite either. I was thinking to do Option 1 and never really thought about Option 2.
Any advice is appreciated.
Thank you.
Oct 3, 2014
74 posts
64 upvotes
Toronto, ON
London Argyle Walmart had the RBK50 mis-priced as the RBK23. Not sure if they all were mis-priced as they were all tied up with the anti-steal spider stuff, but worth a check. There were 4 Orbi boxes left (after I took mine)(not sure of models, but were definitely 23 or 50). Picked up earlier today.
Feb 24, 2007
159 posts
109 upvotes
Option 1 is what I would recommend and what I do with my setup.

Usually the routing functionality of a Rogers or Bell provided modem is much more limited in functionality than what you get from an Orbi type system.
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
17811 posts
5762 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
bb_00 wrote: I'm using the Galaxy Note 8 wifi. I noticed that too. Perhaps, it's the Orbi setting which I need to tweak. Trying to find out what others' setting is.
From experience across various routers, APs, mesh units, this is most likely limitation of your phone vs the router. This goes to others as well who are recommending investment into more expensive equipment, at the end of the day, the receiving device is also a limiting factor.
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
17811 posts
5762 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
gtadealshunting wrote: Thank you for the detailed explanation.
I saw previously people say you should switch the Rogers hitron to bridge mode and use Obri as the router and plus one satellite for RBK50-OPTION1.

But also people said just switched the Orbi to AP modes-OPTION 2.

Which one is the preferred set up for people in general? My modem/router from Rogers is in the basement, and I do not have the capability to do wired backhaul for the Orbi satellite either. I was thinking to do Option 1 and never really thought about Option 2.
Any advice is appreciated.
Thank you.
Rogers's CODA hitron modem has pretty decent specs for routing, so keep leveraging it and use Orbi for purely WIFI / AP mode. But you do forgoe on any ORBI specfic value adds (features like kids mode etc..)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)