Expired Hot Deals

Amazon.ca

Netgear SOHO managed switches GS305E $25 / GS308E $38

  • Last Updated:
  • May 30th, 2021 8:40 am
[OP]
Member
Oct 19, 2009
235 posts
184 upvotes
Toronto

[Amazon.ca] Netgear SOHO managed switches GS305E $25 / GS308E $38

The 5-port managed GS305E is available for $25 at Amazon.ca or Dell.ca if you prefer. It is not a POE switch.

https://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/netgear ... networking

These switches handle VLANs but I think they lack LAG. I have need of VLAN. One example use is to allow a VoIP phone on your desk to access your "telecom" network while your desktop PC connects with other computers on your office data network.

Amazon lists the regular price at $55 and Dell lists it at $40.

I bought the GS308E 8-port version for $38.
Last edited by mwmsnow on May 25th, 2021 1:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
28 replies
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jun 29, 2004
12050 posts
10049 upvotes
Oil Country
Last edited by fudge_u on May 25th, 2021 6:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 8, 2003
10049 posts
2210 upvotes
Richmond Hill
this is not a managed switch, they call it Plus, used to call Smart switch, it's a basic UI for limited management.
a managed switch would have CLI (command line interface), can script config. definitely cost much more
[OP]
Member
Oct 19, 2009
235 posts
184 upvotes
Toronto
@fudge_u - it would be helpful if you split your list into managed and unmanaged switches. Regular homes just need unmanaged switches and people could get into strife if they purchase a managed switch unintentionally. I started the thread to draw attention to one or two inexpensive managed switches that have a specific use case.
Newbie
May 24, 2021
9 posts
21 upvotes
Just made a account to chime in on the shipping date.... bought a managed switch from dell from the last thread and its been delayed 3 times (ship date keeps getting revised).
when i called, i got the sense that what i bought wasn't even in stock and they're waiting for shipments from netgear...

try to buy from amazon i guess...
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 2, 2008
2347 posts
1477 upvotes
GTA
Marshallferret wrote: Just made a account to chime in on the shipping date.... bought a managed switch from dell from the last thread and its been delayed 3 times (ship date keeps getting revised).
when i called, i got the sense that what i bought wasn't even in stock and they're waiting for shipments from netgear...

try to buy from amazon i guess...
I have few issues with delayed delivery with Dell as well in the past; hence, I try not to buy from Dell as much as possible now - Dell doesn't stock the items, it is basically a drop ship business they run for those non Dell items.
¸

- - - - -
;)
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2017
2371 posts
1779 upvotes
DragOnT wrote: I have few issues with delayed delivery with Dell as well in the past; hence, I try not to buy from Dell as much as possible now - Dell doesn't stock the items, it is basically a drop ship business they run for those non Dell items.
Not just non Dell items, actual Dell products can also take months to ship too…. If you call them and complain, they give you a credit but no product still…. :(
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
3226 posts
1985 upvotes
SW ON
mwmsnow wrote: The 5-port managed GS305E is available for $25 at Amazon.ca or Dell.ca if you prefer. It is not a POE switch.

https://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/netgear ... networking

These switches handle VLANs but I think they lack LAG. I have need of VLAN. One example use is to allow a VoIP phone on your desk to access your "telecom" network while your desktop PC connects with other computers on your office data network.

Amazon lists the regular price at $55 and Dell lists it at $40.

I bought the GS308E 8-port version for $38.
I read a few reviews for this switch. One said only 5 VLANs are allowed. I wonder what it means. VLANs 1-5 only? A few other reviews mentioned some app or software for management. Can it be managed from its own web interface or it requires separate software?
Member
Feb 20, 2009
249 posts
197 upvotes
Mississauga
WFH peep should use Ethernet as much as possible.
Any switch can extend the maximum distance to 100m x2 (one cable from your ISP modem to the switch, and another cable from the switch to your computer). I have one 75m cable from modem to a switch near my desk, and four devices hanging from the switch.
Newbie
User avatar
Feb 20, 2019
83 posts
154 upvotes
wlee wrote: this is not a managed switch, they call it Plus, used to call Smart switch, it's a basic UI for limited management.
a managed switch would have CLI (command line interface), can script config. definitely cost much more
Huh, no. That is definitely a managed switch, since you can configure it using either the web interface, or the windows utility.

Notice, there's no judgment of value here, but lacking a CLI, or a serial interface, or whatever, doesn't mean it's any less "managed".

Gotta list the features you need and see if it fists the bill.
Newbie
User avatar
Feb 20, 2019
83 posts
154 upvotes
alpovs wrote: I read a few reviews for this switch. One said only 5 VLANs are allowed. I wonder what it means. VLANs 1-5 only? A few other reviews mentioned some app or software for management. Can it be managed from its own web interface or it requires separate software?
There's a web interface also. As for VLANs, the manual states that "You can enter a VLAN ID from 1 to 4093.".
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jun 29, 2004
12050 posts
10049 upvotes
Oil Country
mwmsnow wrote: @fudge_u - it would be helpful if you split your list into managed and unmanaged switches. Regular homes just need unmanaged switches and people could get into strife if they purchase a managed switch unintentionally. I started the thread to draw attention to one or two inexpensive managed switches that have a specific use case.
I split by brand name. The description indicates if the switch is managed or unmanaged.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
2173 posts
2828 upvotes
GTA
ravenjo wrote: WFH peep should use Ethernet as much as possible.
Any switch can extend the maximum distance to 100m x2 (one cable from your ISP modem to the switch, and another cable from the switch to your computer). I have one 75m cable from modem to a switch near my desk, and four devices hanging from the switch.
What kind of massive building are you in that you have a 75m run?
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
3226 posts
1985 upvotes
SW ON
theflyingsquirrel wrote: Does this one has link aggregation?
Read the OP? Link Aggregation/Port Trunking: No.
Last edited by alpovs on May 25th, 2021 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
3226 posts
1985 upvotes
SW ON
AgedOne wrote: There's a web interface also. As for VLANs, the manual states that "You can enter a VLAN ID from 1 to 4093.".
This datasheet states: "VLAN (# Supported): 64". I suppose it can handle 64 VLANs with any ID from 1 to 4093.
Jr. Member
User avatar
Aug 29, 2011
127 posts
100 upvotes
Ontario
Be careful of the Netgear E switches if you care about admin vlan security.

Straight out of the manual:

Manage Access Control Access control allows you to control which devices can access the switch over a web browser for management purposes. By default, access control is disabled. By adding one or moredevices to the Access Control table, access control is enabled and only devices in the table are allowed to access the switch over a web browser. Note: Models GS108Ev3, GS108PEv3, and GS308E do not support access control.


They dont explicitly mention the GS305E but you can probably guess.

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/gs308e.aspx

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files ... _UM_EN.pdf

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Smart- ... -p/1903286

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Smart- ... m-p/971240

Managed, yeah, by a bunch of clowns.
Newbie
Jan 11, 2018
1 posts
1 upvote
I have this switch. Only vlans 1-5 are allowed. Haven’t had a chance to test it with trunking yet, the manual doesn’t specify how to setup trunking
Jr. Member
Jul 29, 2015
118 posts
104 upvotes
Saskatoon
Thanks guys.. I almost bought a $70 switch. Thank you Amazon for letting me cancel the order.
[OP]
Member
Oct 19, 2009
235 posts
184 upvotes
Toronto
My def of trunking is tagging multiple VLANs on a port to permit them to a point-to-point link to the next switch. What are you "doesn't do trunking" guys talking about? A managed switch without VLAN trunking makes no sense to me.

Oh, now I understand what you are trying to say. Searched the manual for trunking and found this:
Note: Static link aggregation (port trunking) is supported on models GS116E,JGS516PE,JGS524E, and JGS524PE

Top