[Amazon.ca] NETGEAR WiFi Range Extender EX2700 - $20.00

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 30th, 2020 2:41 pm
[OP]
Apr 10, 2019
9 posts
23 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] NETGEAR WiFi Range Extender EX2700 - $20.00

Back in stock and on sale for 50%off. Bought for $40 from best buy but will definitely be returning that now.
Images
  • netgear.PNG
50 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 4, 2004
9646 posts
2292 upvotes
Montreal
I own this thing, it's pretty lack luster in features and old. It can't choose another channel, so it tries to SCREAM over your existing Wifi network causing network congestion because it's on the SAME CHANNEL.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2005
1170 posts
868 upvotes
Toronto
FYI this is WiFi 802.11n N300 which is pre-2013 tech...
Nov 30, 2006
734 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
Can someone recommend a decent wifi extender?
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4565 posts
4616 upvotes
Vancouver
It's a basic N300 range extender, the cheapest category. $20 is the right sale price for it. It's suitable for getting basic 2.4GHz WiFi into a dead spot around your house for devices that don't need too much speed.

Extenders like this don't use the same WiFi channel as your router - they use 2 separate WiFi channels, one to connect to your router, one for devices to connect to them. There's a small delay in each direction as they relay the messages back and forth (they don't amplify the original message, they repeat it on the other channel).

Since there are really only 3 non-overlapping channels in the 2.4GHz WiFi band, and there is probably some channel interference from your neighbours, it can be hard for an extender limited to the 2.4GHz band to find a second clear well-separated channel for its operations. That's why dual-band extenders that also support 5GHz Wifi are much preferred - they can get a clear back-channel to the router with higher speed.
Last edited by Scote64 on Apr 29th, 2020 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
May 2, 2019
160 posts
690 upvotes
Canada
Gedge wrote: Can someone recommend a decent wifi extender?
Thank you for asking that question. If you post to say that it’s not a good deal/poorly made product, adding a recommendation/alternative can make your comment much more meaningful.
Temporel wrote: Just think how addictive this site is, how many times a day you check RFD and for how many years you've been doing that.
Aug 12, 2014
66 posts
15 upvotes
Ferland-Et-Boilleau,…
What should I be using to extend my range then?
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2009
2427 posts
2239 upvotes
Whitby
Wouldn't getting a good router to begin with negate the need for this?!?
Jun 21, 2017
325 posts
359 upvotes
Ontario
marioBross2 wrote: What should I be using to extend my range then?

Most of them are garbage. You're better off using a Powerline system with another Access Point in most cases. That's what we ended up doing before I just bit the bullet and ran a few extra ethernet drops with Ubiquiti APs
Last edited by Npno25 on Apr 29th, 2020 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 18, 2005
415 posts
373 upvotes
Brossard, Qc
The only extenders I’ve successfully used are powerline adapters, which shares the Internet connection through your electrical system. I live on the 3rd floor of a small condo unit, and have a private garage. I was happily surprised to see that since the hydro was on the same counter, it still worked, and now have a WiFi connection in my garage (aptly named “Garage Wifi”)

I’ve also extended the connection with Ethernet cables to my Xbox one, and pc, and there is a much more stable connection for gaming than a 5ghz WiFi connection.

EDIT: I know the price range and usage is quite different, but it might be an option some people can opt for.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
1030 posts
1343 upvotes
Vancouver
Scote64 wrote: It's a basic N300 range extender, the cheapest category. $20 is the right sale price for it. It's suitable for getting basic 2.4GHz WiFi into a dead spot around your house for devices that don't need too much speed.

Extenders like this don't use the same WiFi channel as your router - they use 2 separate WiFi channels, one to connect to your router, one for devices to connect to them. There's a small delay in each direction as they relay the messages back and forth (they don't amplify the original message, they repeat it on the other channel).

Since there are really only 3 non-overlapping channels in the 2.4GHz WiFi band, and there is probably some channel interference from your neighbours, it can be hard for an extender limited to the 2.4GHz band to find a second clear well-separated channel for its operations. That's why dual-band extenders that also support 5GHz Wifi are much preferred - they can get a clear back-channel to the router with higher speed.
I just need something to boost signal into my bedroom. Rest of apartment is fine... it's just for my iphone so I don't need crazy speed?

What do you recommend? The OP's deal price wise is just normal price, but is the device good to do the job?
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4565 posts
4616 upvotes
Vancouver
danascully wrote: I just need something to boost signal into my bedroom. Rest of apartment is fine... it's just for my iphone so I don't need crazy speed?

What do you recommend? The OP's deal price wise is just normal price, but is the device good to do the job?
It should do the job. If you want to know more about a specific device, read the reviews. The amazon.com comments are a good source for end-user opinions. For technical reviews try https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/r ... ender/view , which is a great source for thorough unbiased technical reviews of networking gear, in the this case WiFi extenders. But they don't review everything, so you may have to look elsewhere for some devices.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2008
2237 posts
1327 upvotes
GTA
DON'T buy this. Period.
¸

- - - - -
;)
Dec 21, 2012
442 posts
549 upvotes
Winnipeg
I have this and it suits my needs. Router is in the basement and extender is two floors up on the second floor bedroom to run Netflix and it works fine. With it on an outside wall on the second floor I can now also get a wifi signal outside in the gazebo about 20 feet from the house and the garage, which I wasn't able to do from the basement router, which is an Asus N66u. What have you got to lose by trying it? It's Amazon so returns are easy if it doesn't fit your needs.
May 26, 2006
153 posts
94 upvotes
Honestly? Stop filling the landfill. After years of trying to fill all the spots and buying clearance WiFi extenders I felt stupid after ditching all and going with a proper mesh setup. It’s 2020. No one should be fiddling around with extenders and trying to fix disconnects, and brand compatibilities left and right.

In terms of just work out of the box and reliability, even a dated cheap first gen Google will out perform any fiddle extenders you have. Don’t read into the “max” speed crap. It all depends a lot on your home environment. There are many factors that will prevent you from theoretical max.
Sep 5, 2011
625 posts
137 upvotes
NL
YMMV, but after going through extenders and researching power line adapters and mesh technology, I found the cheapest/efficient method to be just buying a used router, and set that up as a wireless access point. I ended up moving my ISPs router out into the garage where the fiber enters the house, and it connects to a archer c7 via ethernet on the opposite side of the home, one floor up. I then re-terminated most of my phone jacks into ethernet, and they all run back to my garage, and connect the ISPs router.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2003
1875 posts
277 upvotes
Toronto
cFoo wrote: Honestly? Stop filling the landfill. After years of trying to fill all the spots and buying clearance WiFi extenders I felt stupid after ditching all and going with a proper mesh setup. It’s 2020. No one should be fiddling around with extenders and trying to fix disconnects, and brand compatibilities left and right.

In terms of just work out of the box and reliability, even a dated cheap first gen Google will out perform any fiddle extenders you have. Don’t read into the “max” speed crap. It all depends a lot on your home environment. There are many factors that will prevent you from theoretical max.
Agreed, mesh networks are a game changer for home wifi systems.

I was using a dual router setup (main router flashed with DD-WRT) but then my devices had issues deciding which one to connect to (connecting to the weaker signal).

Bought a Netgear Orbi (RBK50) setup and have been very happy with it. There's no real "cheap" option for mesh, but even an entry level mesh system should be good for most people. The only niggle is that most of the lower priced ones have limited ethernet ports, so you'll probably need a switch of some sort for your wired devices.